• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen English Name Speculation

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Maybe the poison gym leader will be called Viper. Or maybe Piper sounds like Viper and it's an instrument too (one that can be used on snakes).

That will make me think I'm playing a game about Charmed! So yeah, Viper would be the preferred choice here. I kinda like it too, but Homika sounds so awesome on its own. ;; Then again, English games for B/W didn't let us keep Aloe but I guess that makes sense considering typing :(

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Viper doesn't even sound female nor like a human name. o_O;

I like Piper and Piper in Charmed never had anything to do with poison so this isn't related, to be honest!; it's more human and Homika suits the name.

PokeGirlBel

Avengers Assemble!
Years
Well there was Viper from Jackie Chan Adventures who was female XD. The new Prof. may keep her name. As for the Akumora guy not sure what his dub name would be

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I feel like Homika's name will be Chloe or a play on it. Like Shauntal with "haunt".

As for Akuroma, how about Roman? Or that sounds a lot like Rowan. I got rom out of Chrome.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well Roma is spanish for is Rome. Also considering how the founding of Unova is similar to the Roman myth (with twin brothers who fight) it's possible...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I could definitely see Shizui as Nate!

Akio123

Sadness forever...
Years
Shizui->Finn/Flynn
Someone said before Fin, but also sounds like Fen

Homika--Alice/Holly/Haley/Natasha
Alice in Chances, Holly James, or Haley Williams. Natasha/Tasha reminds me of Toxic lol

Female PC- Whitley

Male PC- Broderick

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
He would be SO much cuter as Nate. omg. <3333

I could see Homika having a completely normal, average English name, and paired with her rebellious look, it'd be amazing.

I... Really don't want her to have a normal name, there's too much potential for something really bad - it has to be somewhat creative.

Years
With Shizui, I could see these names as a possibility:
  • Finn
  • Finlay
  • Flynn

I'm trying to go with a "fin" theme, cos he has fins on his pants.

For Homika, I'm going with the names Nica suggested.

For the player characters I could possibly see Blake and Willow (a pun on Black and White) or maybe even Damien and Lisa (a pun on Dark and Light).

I'm suggesting Kevin for the rival's official name, cos it starts with K, like Kyurem.

Years
If his name is Flynn I will keep thinking of this guy

Flynn-Rider-eugene-fitzherbert-30702604-317-400.jpg

I think a good name for him would be Wade

He has a gym near a beach. People at beach have inner tubes I think of the duck from Garfield and Friends named Wade.

SouKoLian9102

That 1 Kid Who Plays Pokemon
Years
Definitely naming my character Ebony/Ivory. As for the rival, if we follow the gray speculation, his name could be Grayson or something. (Although I like Gilbert too coughPrussiacough)
For Homika, I was thinking Violet would be a suitable name. I dunno.
Shizui? should be called Triston. Kinda suits him.
Akumora is a nice name itself. Don't think a change is necessary for him.

Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2014
... I hope the protagonists don't get named like the last time.
Hilbert and Hilda.
Most people say it will be Blaze and Volt though, so I hope that's what they name them.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
I also think Shizui should have something close to the word fin.
He could also have something relating to fishing or some fish type.

Years
... I hope the protagonists don't get named like the last time.
Hilbert and Hilda.
Most people say it will be Blaze and Volt though, so I hope that's what they name them.
Those names seem a little too not normal compared to what the other characters are called, they usually stick with normal names like Lucas, May, Ethan, and Hilda, so proably not.
Also both Ivory and Ebony sound like girl names...

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
He would be SO much cuter as Nate. omg. <3333

I could see Homika having a completely normal, average English name, and paired with her rebellious look, it'd be amazing.

Hilda... oh wait.

But great idea! She could be Gertrude, Marianna, Elizabeth. But she'd probably funk up the names like Trudi, Mari and Lexi. I'm pretty sure she'd do something like that and her dad will call her by her full name ^^

Marr! For Shizui. I can see this one being his name. Mar in Spanish is sea while Marr is an actual name (German for swamp).

Last edited:

Years
Hilda... oh wait.

But great idea! She could be Gertrude, Marianna, Elizabeth. But she'd probably funk up the names like Trudi, Mari and Lexi. I'm pretty sure she'd do something like that and her dad will call her by her full name ^^

Marr! For Shizui. I can see this one being his name. Mar in Spanish is beach while Marr is an actual name (German for swamp).
Actually Mar is Spanish for Sea, Playa is beach.
Marr is a good name though ^_^ (and reminds me of swampert now xD)
Gertrude would be funny, it sound so grown up for her xD Though considering her father wants to be an actor and Gertrude is a name from a certain play (Hamlet) it might happen ;)

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Right you are MRAS. I knew that, just typo'd xD

I have more names for Shizui. He's fun to come up with names for:
Trent (gushing water)
Trenton (Reminds me of trident)
Fisher (no d'uh) Or a variation

Back