• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Free Roam games

TY

We all know these kind of games (like GTA, Far Cry, etc.). They have a giant world to explore besides doing the main missions and you can also do stuff in it besides only walking to your objective.

So what is your favorite Free Roam game, and why? (or whatever it might be called, i call it Free Roam)

For me... im really doubting between GTA San Andreas and Far Cry 3...

GTA:SA is not only a GTA with dozens of cheat codes, you also could go into many stores and do whatever you wanted (killing the people in it or actually buying stuff). It has a pretty large map to explore and also gangs you could encounter aswell as cops. I really enjoyed this game for a very long time and i didnt play all main missions.

Far Cry 3 is also a awesome game. Besides driving in cars and boats, you can now also craft items that you have collected from skinning animals you just killed. In Far Cry 3 you can do many, many "mini-games" like playing poker and shooting birds, aswell as playing side missions for rare rewards. Far Cry 3 amazed me after the big dissapointment called CoD (which is NOT a Free Roam game, so i wont continue on it) and the gameplay, the characters... the islands to explore... this game deserves a 10 out of 10 in my opinion

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I loved Simpsons Hit & Run.

Because by going around, you uncover hidden gags and find collection cards, hidden bees, alien cola machine and alien crates. You could also see how Springfield really is. You could know how far is the elementary school from Bart and Lisa's house and all those goodies. I gotta say, even 9 years I bought the game, I still enjoy going through every map because I keep discovering cool stuffs by strolling around.

Sir Codin

Fallout is great as well.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
Burnout Paradise counts as a Free Roam map, so i'm going to go with this.

Although it is a great game, my big bro took the Xbox 360 with him to college.

Years
I would have to say that one of the favorites of the top of my head would be Red Dead Redemption. In essence, it felt like a wild-west version of Grand Theft Auto (which makes sense, as they were both made by Rockstar), plus it gave us a large, varying landscapes with many different animals running about.

Years
I can't quite pick out a definitive favourite but here are a few I really enjoyed.

1.Fallout 3-bloody fantastic game, really immerse.
2.Forza Horizon-The Best licensed soundtrack in a game, awesome feels.
3.GTA San-Andreas. It's really impressive considering when it came out.

I'm reallllllly wanting to try Far Cry 3 though, and I have a feeling that Just Cause 2 would make the list if I gave it a try. Alas without and Xbox 360 or Ps3 I'm going to have to hope upon hope they make a Wii U release. (still don't have that either, but I'm strongly considering it.)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
X. A very unique series, these days; spiritual successor to Elite.
The latest installment is X3: Albion Prelude, if anyone wants a less ambiguous search term.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
The later Sly Cooper games and all Assassin's Creed games come to mind because exploring is just so much fun in them. Why walk to your destination when you can free run along the rooftops? Why drive when you can parachute? I actually really want to play Sly 2 right now.

Years
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation

One of the best free roams IMO to exist. I agree with Sweets Witch; freerunning along rooftops is far more exhilirating than simply walking to your destination. And you won't believe it until you experience it :D

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
Honestly, the more i look at it, probably Jak 3. It was challenging without being ridiculous, it had a lot of side areas, it had great modes of travel, and the setting designs themselves were extremely creative.

Years
Skyrim and FarCry 3. By a long way.

Skyrim is so exciting, and when roaming around you never know what to expect. You improve your skills, attributes and just play in your own style. The one thing that will always hit me about Skyrim is that there are so many locations to discover, all so detailed, you never run out of things to do in Skyrim. Furthermore, the game is so unrestricted; you can set up a domino effect with people in it, fire people from the top of a mountain. It's just all so good!

FarCry 3. Absolutely amazing. What makes the game even better is the character in my sig; Vaas Montenegro. The aspects of the game, the ways in which you can liberate camps is up to you. In the game, you are able to develop skills which form a tattoo on your left arm and is also linked with finding relics of each of the animals that the tattoo links with. Unique, eh? The game also contains a form of customization when it comes to guns, which is what I adore. Another thing, the characters have amazing lines, especially Vaas, throughout the whole game, very creative and it adds to making the game more interesting. You collect materials to craft things; from wallets to medicines. All are so helpful and you can have to get the resources from everywhere on the map. Something to recognize is that they haven't been lazy with locations, I love how the animals are allocated to specific parts of the map and each of them is rarer than another; especially the Tapir, mind. FarCry 3, there aren't much games that can top it.

Honest

Hi!
Years
The GTA series in general, though the recent ones are better. I don't know, there's something really satisfying about going around being able to shoot people at will and evade the cops...

I'm not crazy, I swear.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
FarCry3 comes to mind. The game really does blend gunfights well with the wilderness. A must play.
GTA:SA and GTA 4. These satisfy my lust for violence every time I play XD.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Anyone who has ever played these games would agree. It blends RPG elements with FPS perfectly and it never gets old. I see Almost infinite possibilities with this game and I personally feel that this series is better than the Elder Scrolls because your choices feel like they have more of an impact although the melee combat could use a similar change like Skyrims.
Skyrim. I'm sure this speaks for itself.
Assassins Creed series. I love the historical elements and Ubisoft is always good at immersion.
The Legend of Zelda series. Specifically Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I beat WW 4 times and I still find it fun to play.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Far-Cry 3 Just because it is totally awesome. Who doesn't like (SPOILER)
Spoiler:

Borderlands 2 BECAUSE IT IS BADASS!!!! (You'd have to have play the Tourqe DLC to get that.)

and Sleeping Dogs It's like GTA, but you can actually drive a car without flying off the road while going 40mph.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
-Crystal Bearers for the Wii is blast, never gets old to just fling things about.
-Go Vacation is pretty awesome for a minigame collection, I mean it. The game looks really good for a Wii game, and I just loved finding every secret.
-Xenoblade for obvious reasons. Just roaming about to soak up the beauty is wonderful.
-Just Cause 2 for the PS2, although a bit outdated, is excellent. Hooking yourself to a car while parachuting is mad fun.
-TDU as well. Best open world car game, besides Most Wanted and TDU2. The controls are tight enough, and there is so much you can do.

Back