• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Type Match-up Revamp Idea

Years
Just to get it out of the way, I am well aware that this will likely never happen. I am just sharing a idea that I think is pretty cool. Also, this is not entirely my idea that honor would have to go to Mitja on this thread. I am just polishing the rough edges of it. So, while there is nothing wrong with the type match-ups at all, I do kind of like this concept as it allows things that would be normally broken to be balanced such as triple types and stronger STABs. It could also make competitive play more interesting. So the idea is to have a type gauge with 6 slots for a type each slot makes up a small amount of a Pokemon's Typing. To give you an example:

Bronzong: -Stl-Stl-Stl-Stl-Psy-Psy-

Here is how type Match-Ups and STABs would work with the gauge:

The Weaknesses and Resistances are determined by a point system between -6 and +6 by default it is at 0 which is equal to 1x Damage (See more examples below). Every weakness adds a point while every resistance subtracts a point. The point system doesn't affect STAB.

Weakness: / +1 = 1.2x / +2 = 1.5x / +3 = 2x / +4 = 2.5x / +5 = 3x / +6 = 4x /

Resistance: / -1 = 0.8x / -2 = 0.65x / -3 = 0.5x / -4 = 0.4x / -5 = 0.3 / -6 = 0.25x /

STAB: / 1 Slot = 1.1x / 2 Slots = 1.3x / 3 Slots = 1.5x / 4 Slots = 1.7x / 5 Slots = 1.85x / 6 Slots = 2x /

Just for the heck of it here is an example:

Damage Example:

Bronzong: 4 Slots Steel / 2 Slots Psychic VS Fighting Attack = 1.5x Damage

This effectively allows Triple types to be in the game with breaking it. It also makes using single-typed pokemon a double-edged sword on one hand you get strong 2x STAB on the other you have a pokemon with quite a few 4x Weaknesses especially pure Grass. So, there will be alot more 4x weaknesses around. You may have notice a few problems with this idea. First off Adaptability, how I would solve this is by just having it add +0.5 to STAB instead. Second, Forest Curse and Trick or Treat. Which I would solve by make those moves alter the last 3 types slots. Third, M-Kangaskhan and Greninja. I am sorry to say but I think we're f-ed. Finally, the complexity of this idea, which I am trying to solve. To give you an idea of how complicated the damage multipliers are here is all of them in one spoiler (Removed due to the system being simplified). That is a hell of a lot compared to the previous 5 damage multipliers. Anyways, that is the whole idea and I would appreciate constructive criticism on this idea to help improve it and again credit for this idea goes to Mitja. I hope you guys enjoyed this idea.

Last edited:
Years
This is definitely an interesting idea. I don't know if I like the fact that this would make it a lot easier for Pokemon to have 3+ types, but the idea of weighted typings is something that I actually wouldn't mind seeing in the future. There are dual type Pokemon that should realistically have one type favored over the other (the first that came to mind was Gengar, where Ghost should be more predominant than Poison), so it'd be interesting to see all of the combinations out there.

Oh, and since this is more about the games than Pokemon in general, I'm going to move this thread over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you.

MOVED.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Dunno about introducing triple and quadruple types into the game, but the weighted typings is definitely something I can get onboard with.

The main deterrent for such a system is the added math. A very small percentage of people care for math to do any more of it than absolutely necessary. Maybe the way we're teaching is wrong, but for most- math comes off as intimidating and frustrating.

That, and there'd be a heckuva lot more memorisation involved. Lessay Bronzong is 60%Steel and 40%Psychic. Fighting moves do 1.4X damage. Okay.

But then let's say Metagross is 70%Steel and 30%Psychic. And Jirachi is 40%Steel and 60%Psychic- you see where I'm going with this, yeah?

Figuring out damage would be an absolute nightmare. You'd have to have a guide handy to know whether you need a Dark-type move, or if a Fighting one could do the job despite Psychic resistance. This would apply to all dual-types in the game.

Introduce triple and quads and suddenly all battles are spent looking stuff up before making a move.

Years
Dunno about introducing triple and quadruple types into the game, but the weighted typings is definitely something I can get onboard with.

The main deterrent for such a system is the added math. A very small percentage of people care for math to do any more of it than absolutely necessary. Maybe the way we're teaching is wrong, but for most- math comes off as intimidating and frustrating.

That, and there'd be a heckuva lot more memorisation involved. Lessay Bronzong is 60%Steel and 40%Psychic. Fighting moves do 1.4X damage. Okay.

But then let's say Metagross is 70%Steel and 30%Psychic. And Jirachi is 40%Steel and 60%Psychic- you see where I'm going with this, yeah?

Figuring out damage would be an absolute nightmare. You'd have to have a guide handy to know whether you need a Dark-type move, or if a Fighting one could do the job despite Psychic resistance. This would apply to all dual-types in the game.

Introduce triple and quads and suddenly all battles are spent looking stuff up before making a move.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I will try and see if there is a way to make this even simpler. Ironically, the math was there to make it simpler. I will have to say that what have now is a hell of a lot better than what I had before. But yeah, the only way I can think of making this simpler right now is altering the amount of slots which want to try avoiding. I'll think of something.
EDIT: I am gonna go with the idea of reducing slots because I have found a way to go about it without neutering the idea and that is by making the amount 6. Why 6? Because 5 is too small to be creative with the typing and anything above 7 would be too much. I will still accept more ideas BTW.

Last edited:

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Perhaps more realistic, yes.

But simpler than x2 and x0.5? I don't think that's really possible.

Back