• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scientists Invent Particles That Will Let You Live Without Breathing

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
This may seem like something out of a science fiction movie: researchers have designed microparticles that can be injected directly into the bloodstream to quickly oxygenate your body, even if you can't breathe anymore. It's one of the best medical breakthroughs in recent years, and one that could save millions of lives every year.

The invention, developed by a team at Boston Children's Hospital, will allow medical teams to keep patients alive and well for 15 to 30 minutes despite major respiratory failure. This is enough time for doctors and emergency personnel to act without risking a heart attack or permanent brain injuries in the patient.

The solution has already been successfully tested on animals under critical lung failure. When the doctors injected this liquid into the patient's veins, it restored oxygen in their blood to near-normal levels, granting them those precious additional minutes of life.
Particles of fat and oxygen

The particles are composed of oxygen gas pocketed in a layer of lipids, a natural molecule that usually stores energy or serves as a component to cell membranes. Lipids can be waxes, some vitamins, monoglycerides, diglycerides, triglycerides, phospholipids, or—as in this case—fats.

These fatty oxygen particles are about two to four micrometers in size. They are suspended in a liquid solution that can be easily carried and used by paramedics, emergency crews and intensive care personnel. This seemingly magic elixir carries "three to four times the oxygen content of our own red blood cells."

Similar solutions have failed in the past because they caused gas embolism, rather than oxygenating the cells. According to John Kheir, MD at the Department of Cardiology at Boston Children's Hospital, they solved the problem by using deformable particles, rather than bubbles:

We have engineered around this problem by packaging the gas into small, deformable particles. They dramatically increase the surface area for gas exchange and are able to squeeze through capillaries where free gas would get stuck.

Kheir had the idea of an injected oxygen solution started after he had to treat a little girl in 2006. Because of a lung hemorrhage caused by pneumonia, the girl sustained severe brain injuries which, ultimately, lead to her death before the medical team could place her in a heart-lung machine.

Soon after, Kheir assembled a team of chemical engineers, particle scientists, and medical doctors to work on this idea, which had promising results from the very beginning:

Some of the most convincing experiments were the early ones. We drew each other's blood, mixed it in a test tube with the microparticles, and watched blue blood turn immediately red, right before our eyes.

It sounds like magic, but it was just the start of what, after years of investigation, became this real life-giving liquid in a bottle.

This is what the future is about. And it's a beautiful one indeed, one that is arriving earlier than we ever could have expected. I wonder if this would find its way to other uses. I can see it as an emergency injection in a spaceship, for example. But what about getting a shot for diving?

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-invent-particles-that-will-let-you-live-without-breathing

Ah, good ole medical science. This here is proof that they deserve to get a lot more funding.

Years
I love this. This is one of the many reasons my friends decided to study chemistry.
With a little bit more money, they'll be able to further develop the solution to be stored by the body and released when natural respiration has stopped.
It won't need to be carried by paramedics.

My Pico

Can I taste your whip cream?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 13, 2012
Yooo I don't know bout science and stuff but yooooo we can walk space without wearing those aquariums in our head!!

Khawill

<3
Years
Yooo I don't know bout science and stuff but yooooo we can walk space without wearing those aquariums in our head!!

Uh it is still pretty cold up there, but this might be a step toward cryogenic preservation. And we may even be able to use it for entering buildings on fire so the firemen do not have to breathe in those aweful gasses.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
No to space, and no to cryonics.

Space, the issue is the complete lack of pressure. The spacesuit, while proving oxygen for the wearer, also creates a pressure sphere that prevents them from going pop. Oh, and the lack of temperatures.

As for Cryogenics, the issue with that isn't oxygen. Your going to be, essentially, frozen so your not going to need oxygen. The issue is water, and how when frozen it expands. Basically, water in your cells freeze, and cells go pop. Not to mention all the other damage that cryogenics causes.

The injectable oxygen could allow for creation of a new varient of cryogenics (I'm thinking it would be closer to Hyper Sleep from Pandorum) but it wouldn't revolutionize the current form of cryogenics.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Well finally! This sort of thing is looooooong overdue. Pretty incredible that we can do this now though - it's got a crazy, crazy number of uses. It honestly makes a lot of sense how they've done it too. My main concern would be whether or not it delivers oxygen fast enough, but we'll see that with time I guess!

One thing though - in making energy, supplying oxygen is only half the problem. How is CO2 removed from the body? Normally it's done via gas exchange but someone in respiratory failure isn't doing too much of that. Iirc CO2 poisoning kills you loooooong before a lack of oxygen.

Plumpyfloof said:
With a little bit more money, they'll be able to further develop the solution to be stored by the body and released when natural respiration has stopped.

Technically, if natural respiration stops, you're pretty much dead. Respiration isn't actually the process of making oxygen available to cells to respire with, but rather it's the biochemical series of processes which are undertaken to produce energy from substrates, mainly glucose, using oxygen in parts of these processes. Respiratory Failure, however, which is (weirdly) defined medically as inadequate gas exchange, is what you meant I think? If so, maybe. We're a long way from there though and if it could be triggered by someone simply holding their breath then it'd be pretty useless.

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
is it just me or these stories getting more bizarre, even if this works on humans breathing is something we do without even meaning to it will be quite hard to stop breathing, even if your bloodstream is filled with oxygen I doubt you will have to stop using your lungs.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
is it just me or these stories getting more bizarre, even if this works on humans breathing is something we do without even meaning to it will be quite hard to stop breathing, even if your bloodstream is filled with oxygen I doubt you will have to stop using your lungs.

I imagine their intended use is for when breathing's failed and is no longer an option. Medical emergencies and all.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Wow, this is actually so amazing! It's great to see that they have actually invented this, how many people would they be able to save? It's just..... amazing that they can actually make this. The technology of humankind just keeps getting better.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I absolutely love research like this. I like the fact when someone is struggling to breathe properly (especially people who have problems breathing after working in the mines), that the procedure gives them the much needed oxygen. This is a great alternative method to those people. Well done Scientists, I tip my hat to you.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
We are getting real close to taking the the fiction out of science fiction, and this article shows that we will get there if we invest more time and money into this. Some day, these sort of developments will save countless lives.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
So.. If I inhale a certain particle... I can breath without air. I can go to space, and just chill?

I'm sorry.. I know this is irrefutable proof.. but ...WHAT?!

In my opinion, Scientists should be more worried about the end of days (not the 2012 BS, more like the Sun exploding into a Supernova)

They should be fixating on developing a material which can survive the brute G forces of fast space-travel so that we can investigate other planets with blooming life. Just my preference though.

While this scientific discovery is still amazing, I imagine the government will get their hands on it, and turn it into a biological weapon that costs billions. Am I the only one who thinks that'll happen? Hahah...

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
So.. If I inhale a certain particle... I can breath without air. I can go to space, and just chill?

1. It's not inhaled, its injected into the bloodstream.
2. Lack of air in space isn't what makes getting spaced fatal. It's the subzero temperatures, and the lack of pressure.

In my opinion, Scientists should be more worried about the end of days (not the 2012 BS, more like the Sun exploding into a Supernova)

Yes, they should totally research ways to prevent something that is more then a million years away. (Imphesis on more) Besides, for something this far off our species would have either died off or have since migrated to stars very far away making that a non-issue.

They should be fixating on developing a material which can survive the brute G forces of fast space-travel so that we can investigate other planets with blooming life. Just my preference though.

They won't know if a material will survive in fast space travel (Assuming near lightspeed) until they actually achieve fast space travel. They can theorize about it, but only real world tests would prove it valuable, or junk.

While this scientific discovery is still amazing, I imagine the government will get their hands on it, and turn it into a biological weapon that costs billions. Am I the only one who thinks that'll happen? Hahah...

As i said, this is injectable oxygen. That and if they really wanted, they have samples of smallpox/whateverthatdeadlyvirusesnameis that they could weaponize if they actually wanted to.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years

1. It's not inhaled, its injected into the bloodstream.
2. Lack of air in space isn't what makes getting spaced fatal. It's the subzero temperatures, and the lack of pressure.

Yes, they should totally research ways to prevent something that is more then a million years away. (Imphesis on more) Besides, for something this far off our species would have either died off or have since migrated to stars very far away making that a non-issue.

They won't know if a material will survive in fast space travel (Assuming near lightspeed) until they actually achieve fast space travel. They can theorize about it, but only real world tests would prove it valuable, or junk.

As i said, this is injectable oxygen. That and if they really wanted, they have samples of smallpox/whateverthatdeadlyvirusesnameis that they could weaponize if they actually wanted to.

No need to be so hostile. They're just my beliefs and theories.

1. I never said It was inhaled. I actually assumed it was an Injection or some type of pill -_-

2. Really? I must be missing something, because I never thought a Space Suit could resist the freezing temperatures of space.

I suppose. I don't really see us dying off though... unless we keep antagonizing other countries...

You're absolutely right. Which is why they have this thing called Math. Even if there are no real-life tests, there can still be precise calculations to measure how strong it is, and then determine if it's resistant enough.

Yeah, but smallpox and etc. have already been contained by the CDC, which is an organization that has more power over the government in terms of Health & Safety. They wouldn't legally allow the US Government to weaponize it. Being able to breath with an injectable whatsitcalled without functioning lungs isn't a threat to the CDC since Scientists still haven't found any adverse or lethal effects. (Granted they're still testing it)

Therefore, since it's not a threat to the CDC, that means the government can jump in and claim it as a weapon, or a tool for ....other weapons. Probably.

Not trying to spark a debate.. I just think that this planet is dying, and whether or not it's in our life time is irrelevant to the fact that it's Inevitable. You might as well prepare for the worst before the worst happens.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
You actually said, If I inhaled a particle...

So yeah, you did say inhale.

Anyway, the temperatures don't effect the suit, but the body if exposed.

And as I said, they can theorize about it (Use mathmatical projection) but only real world use would prove it useful, or not.

The injections aren't ment to replace a persons lungs, only to provide a few minutes of oxygen to give a person a greater chance of surviving respitory distress.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
You actually said, If I inhaled a particle...

So yeah, you did say inhale.

Anyway, the temperatures don't effect the suit, but the body if exposed.

And as I said, they can theorize about it (Use mathmatical projection) but only real world use would prove it useful, or not.

The injections aren't ment to replace a persons lungs, only to provide a few minutes of oxygen to give a person a greater chance of surviving respitory distress.

Oh. Well.. interesting. I apologize for that misunderstanding.

So.. a space suit is designed to ...not only keep the person warm.. but keep it pressurized? I'm no astronaut, but Space Suit technology is mind-blowing to me if it's capable of doing those things.

Which is why Scientists determine the most accurate prediction of it's resistance, and then THEY decide whether it's safe or not. It's not up to me, and I never said they would do it... I just said they SHOULD, since it's more important in today's world. A cure for HIV has already begun prototype (so I've heard) and Cancer is only good as long as it's benign. Judging from this... There are really no OTHER deadly viruses out there that can really decimate the human population. Not that I can think of anyway... so therefore, no reason for Scientists to keep worrying about it. It's an issue that came and went.

Respiratory distress? Like Asthma or something? Well that's a little more underwhelming than I was hoping it'd be.

Years
This is pretty damn cool. And life-saving. We just need the money in the right places to make it a mainstream practice so everybody has access to it.

Back