• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you use your Riolu?

Years
Same question like Rainbow Arcanine's but with Riolu instead.
On Iron Mountain in D/P/Pt you recieve an egg that contains Riolu. Did you bother using him, evolving into Lucario by any chance? If yes, was he a strong part of your team, that you could rely on him? If no, did you just put him on Box and didn't even bother using him in future?

Personally, when I bulit my dream team, I haven't used him, because there was no need to. I had already a strong team.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Nope! I've never trained a Riolu/Lucario. The main reason I didn't make use of him was because I already had a pretty solid team at that point in the game. Plus, I really cbad training a level 1 Pokemon up to my 34+ team. [/lazy]

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I gave it a go, after two hours of training, I gave up completely. I'm just not the type of person who has the effort to raise a Pokemon from Level 1 to where my team was at that point, which was roughly in the low 40s. Although Lucario is a great Pokemon, I had a fairly decent team already and it wasn't worth the effort. Maybe one day I'll go back and train it up properly though. :o

Years
I did use it once on my brother's Diamond version once, but I don't know if I'll ever use it in any future D/P/Pt playthroughs since it's hard training something all the way from Level 1.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
As much as I wanted to use it, I just left it in my box forever. I didn't find much use in it, and even though Riolu/Lucario are pretty strong, I just didn't find a good spot for it in my team.

Years
By the time that I got the Riolu egg from Riley, my team was already long planned out, so I didn't bother trying to train my Riolu at all. In fact, I think I put the egg in the PC not long after I got it, and it must've taking me a good month or so before I even bothered to hatch it.

If we had been able to get it earlier in the game, I probably would've had a shot at making it a core part of my team (just like I did with a Riolu from Flocessy Ranch in W2), but at that point, I really didn't care.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
He isn't worth training Tbh. There are much better pokemon out there worthy of being in a party. lucario isn't one of these worthy pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yes, I'm one of those people who actually took the time and effort to train up the Riolu I got from Iron Island. So that Riolu/Lucario had a chance at the parts after Iron Island, I took some time off from the main storyline to train it up using the Vs. Seeker on trainers I previously battled.

And when Riolu did evolve into Lucario, it basically wrecked things.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
^ Respect.

That Riolu egg comes too late, unfortunately. By that time, my team was about lv 40. I already had a great fighting Pokemon (Infernape). As much as I admire Lucario, there was no reason to train a Riolu from level one.

Doccit

Pokemon Conquest Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
He cames too late in the game for me. I was already attached to my other pokemon.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I haven't gotten there yet (I just got my 8th badge in Pearl) I know I won't use it, I'm already attached to my team. I plan on buying Platinum, I'll probably transfer him to that game and use it in a team.

-Oops

um no
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
I don't think I used it. Diamond was my first pokemon game I don't even know what the heck I was doing. Lol.

LonelyBarstool

Master Bird-Feeder
Years
I think I had such a solid team by the point that I got Riolu that I decided to just roll without it, even though Lucario is pretty sweet.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I did one my first run of Diamond I didn't have set team at the time and I thought Lucario was the coolest Pokemon gen IV introduced and was overall my favorite Fighting type so to me training it from level one was worth it.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
At first, I never got around hatching the egg. I figured it cool later on, so on my training-for-elite-four run, I decided to give the egg a little piggyback. It took sooo long to hatch IMO.

Then I was like, cool. A Riolu. Obviously evolving into that ever-so-awesome-god Lucario who everyone talks about. I thought, what the heck. I trained it to level 8, and it evolved into Lucario. Nice. End of story, you go to PC now. And I forgot about it.

Later on I was like what the shizz Lucario is this awesome? Amazing stats! And so from then on I make it a point to consider using it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Yes. Not the first time through Diamond (I didn't actually discover Iron Island until 2009 a couple of months before I got Platinum, somehow). But I then used Riolu on Diamond and a couple of my runthroughs of Platinum. I take the time to train it because Riolu and Lucario are up there among my favourites. I tend not to even use vs. seeker that much, preferring to battle wild pokémon with Riolu rather than exp. share. Although this means that his EVs are fairly imbalanced - a few Bidoof and Starly fall in the early levels, and about level 20+ he gets a lot of Defence from Geodude / Graveler / Onix in Iron Island.

Warship

異議あり!
Years
i didnt use it during the main story but then i decided to train it as i had no better thing to do and ever since that day im a lucario fanboy. also its been a very important part of my team

Back