• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Anime Poll: Sub or Dub?

Sub or Dub?

• Sub

Votes: 54 63.5%
  • Dub

Votes: 31 36.5%

• Total voters

Zet

Years
There needs to be a "both" option in the poll. While I prefer subs, there are a lot of good English dubbed anime(Ghost in the Shell is one of the best).

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
Years
IMO it depends on the anime and the quality, i like both like most people but when it really comes down to it i pick subbed over dubbed. The reason why is because anime is artwork, and tbh its usually a lot better when its in Japanese. The only anime shows i can think of that are good in english is naruto and Code Geass

Years
I guess it would depend on the anime itself. I know that a lot of people don't like dubs because of the audio/video sync, but that never really mattered to me. If the translation just.. dumbs down the meaning too much, then I won't like it. Similarly if it's just.. too wordy or something, particularly for anime that doesn't necessarily have much action in it, then I probably wouldn't like it.

I don't mind subs at all, though, so if a dub is bad enough I'll definitely go with subs.

AresTheAwesome

The Awesome Trainer...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Subbed, unless you're watching Dragonball z.

I personally prefer pokemon in english as well because I grew up on their cheesy voices.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
Always subs! For me, the original language seems to carry more emotion than the dubs. Dubs have always sounded stiff to me, and it takes away from my enjoyment. I will sometimes watch the dub of a show after I've already seen the Japanese, but I don't look specifically for dubs, only subs.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
I really don't care about having dubs for anime, because a cartoon can be dubbed at it not be distracting...but for a live action TV show or movie I'd have to say sub.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
Only dubbed for me unless its some obscure series that will never be dubbed (Reborn)

AresTheAwesome

The Awesome Trainer...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Only dubbed for me unless its some obscure series that will never be dubbed (Reborn)

It all depends on what anime you watch. Before you watch subs, a lot of times you won't really care.

I didn't watch anything subbed until I started my 5th anime, which had an awful dub, unbearable. So I watched it subbed, then rewatched the other 5 subbed and decided that (aside from dbz and pokemon) i would only watch subs.

All people are different though, and it all depends on the anime, a lot of dubs are done well, particularly (I've noticed) the dubs funimation does, they tend to get it right. But theres a lot of time that one character with the annoying voice that makes me hate the dub.

E.G.
Natsu : Fairy Tail
Black Star : Soul Eater
Edward : Full Metal Alchemist

AresTheAwesome

The Awesome Trainer...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
Usually subbed, but it's alright if it's dubbed. I really have no preference.

Right, because in the end, you get the same story, whether it be from dubbed voices or subtitles.
Anime is still anime, and anime, is awesome

~Scene...

Years
I prefer subs, because when it's dubbed, the voices sometimes lose the feelings the original person meant to expres, just look at Vampire Knight, dubs in there sound so dull ._.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2022
Only if the dub is top tier will I use dub. I consider DBZ a top tier dub, and one piece a Demi tier dub. I'll watch Demi if I don't feel like reading, but I prefer sub in every other case.

Empathy

Rawr.
Years
Either for me. Really depends on if I can find any dubs or not.
If I find an anime which has a dub, i'll watch that. But if the anime doesn't have a dub and I need to watch it in subs, it doesn't really bother me much. But what annoys me most with dubs is some of the voice actors' incapability to act well... lol.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I watch both. Some subs I like better and there are some dubs I like better. Anime is anime.

The only series so far where I've liked both equally is Full Metal Alchemist.

Back