• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Leap - Technology That Will Revolutionize The Way We Use Computers

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years

The Leap Motion team is calling it "The Leap".

I mean wow. Just wow. I can imagine this kind of technology removing the need for keyboards and mouses and practically changing the way we see and use computers, as well as the way we design 3-dimensional models and blue-prints. This technology can speed up the time it takes to design a building or use 3D rendering programs. It can make gaming so much more fun. It can also go hand in hand with the recent Halographic technology to basically make what we see in Iron Man and Star Wars not so far-fetched. I mean this has already made Minority Report's awesomeness possible, what next?

Discuss. <3 Best thing about this is the price, it's friggin $7999 if you pre-order it now, and $6999 if you pre-ordered it before Feb 27. o;

Leap Motion main site: https://www.leapmotion.com/

More demonstration videos:
Spoiler:

Years
Some of us have positively terrible handwriting, so I don't see it replacing keyboards outright, just making them optional for PC end-users.

The technology they're using seems to be very similar to the technology at the core of Duck Hunt for the NES, just extremely refined (as I would expect for a technology that old).

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I'm sure this is technologically fascinating, but I can do everything perfectly fine and probably more precisely without waving my arms around, which is liable to be tiring anyway. Not to criticise the pursuit of alternative control mechanisms, I just don't think motion controls are really the way to go about it, personally. I am interested in the potential for 3D modelling, though.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Some of us have positively terrible handwriting, so I don't see it replacing keyboards outright, just making them optional for PC end-users.

The technology they're using seems to be very similar to the technology at the core of Duck Hunt for the NES, just extremely refined (as I would expect for a technology that old).
No no, haha, I wasn't referring to handwritten digital characters. I meant something like a 3D on screen keyboard that you can use as digital hardware. Now that would be awesome. Definitely take a while to get used to, but still.
I'm sure this is technologically fascinating, but I can do everything perfectly fine and probably more precisely without waving my arms around, which is liable to be tiring anyway. Not to criticise the pursuit of alternative control mechanisms, I just don't think motion controls are really the way to go about it, personally. I am interested in the potential for 3D modelling, though.

True true, it would take time to adapt to this control mechanism, but I still think future Operating Systems can be changed to fit this kind of tech. Personally I think it's too early to incorporate said tech so deeply into computers right now, but I can still see this little gadget built into future laptop models right next to the mouse pad, especially for gaming. It could even be built into console controllers for specific games programmed specifically to fit motion control. I don't know, just seems like a great concept!

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I don't think waving my arms around is going to help much in the comfort department, to be honest. I think I'll take a wait-and-see approach on this. Motion control feels strange when you have to make exaggerated movements, and I hope this isn't the case when it's out in the wild, as a retail product.

In the meantime, I think I'll stick to traditional and a touchscreen.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I agree with twiggy. This doesn't exactly look comfortable. Besides, how long before operating system/driver support gets to an acceptable level? Linux still has trouble with ATI GPUs, so I wouldn't want to know how long something like this would take. And don't even get me started about hackintosh.

Looks cool and all, i just see some pretty major flaws.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I unfortunately be a devil's advocate here and say this is nowhere near a "leap" in computing as it is a possible keyboard replacement in the future. I personally don't see it catching on but then again, I said the same for the iPhone and I own one so you never know.

However I do believe that any true leap that does revolutionise the way we use computers is when we achieve quantum computers (which apparently has already be done).

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
I reckon the Oculus Rift will definitely change the way we use computers for gaming. Though in terms of casual use, I think touch screens are already on their way to removing the mouse and keyboard to an extent.

Back