• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Completely Hacking the Fire Red Title Screen by DawnRyder

DawnRyder

I cannot believe I'm back -.-
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Welcome! I am going to show you how to fully edit the Fire Red Titlescreen.
Tools Needed:
IrfanView (or suitable substitute)
unLZ.GBA
Photoshop/GIMP(you can get gimp completely free at gimp.com)
Paint (or suitable substitute)
NTME(latest version)
APE

~UPDATE~: I found out that your background TileSET width needs to be less than 256px.

To hack the titlescreen you first need to know the offsets in unLZ.GBA. I list them here.
Spoiler:

This tutorial will be split into 3 parts.
Part 1: The Charizard
Part 2: The Background
Part 3: The Logo

PART 1: The Charizard

Spoiler:

PART 2: The Background
Spoiler:

I will add the rest of the tutorial later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Nice tutorial. Its very easy to follow. I hope to see the other parts soon.

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
Years
Okay but i get an ugly darkrai..
i didnt used the sprite from Dp as it's not ncie..
so i load my own one and set it to 80x80
i did all the steps but when i play the game i can only see the pokemon title distorted in where i put it...
so i used my backup and made another backup(for safety)
i did the same steps and this time i load the raw on 2011(Mine is BRPE so charizard is 2010)
and the pokemon pic is there but background gone and the background colour of the pokemmon pic is greenish..
any help?

DawnRyder

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
You change the position when making the tilemap.
For example, if DawnRyder put his Latios in the middle of the tilemap, it would have been in the middle.

Yes, be sure to read the instructions very carefully.

xmouvelianx, you need to put the pokemon sprite instead of the Charizard. You got that right the first time. When you're editing the tilemap, you need to make sure that it is set at 32x20 or FR/LG TS in NTME.

P.S. Can you send a screenshot?

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
Finally, one that actually worked for me! *hugs you so hard you can bearly breathe* :cer_love: :pink_love:

DawnRyder

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Hey, thanks Neo-Wolf!

You guys want me to add bootscreen editing as a bonus at the end?

DawnRyder

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
OK! Bootscreen it is then!

BTW I've got Part 2 in there!

Years
Although I already knew some of this, you just taught me how to use NTME. Yes, I know, it's stupid, but I just wasn't able to get my head around it. So thanks for that. And it's a great tutorial, anyways.
Btw, feel free to post that Background Editing bit whenever you like, (cough- anytime immediately is good):D. Haha.. Thanks again, great tut.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well, this is a decent tutorial, however I wouldn't call it complete. You should add in how to insert text, make text or get rid of the text that is there if you have a full titlescreen like this one.
Titlescreen.png

And only need to erase the background. Decent job however. Should help some people out!

DawnRyder

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011
Well, this is a decent tutorial, however I wouldn't call it complete. You should add in how to insert text, make text or get rid of the text that is there if you have a full titlescreen like this one.
And only need to erase the background. Decent job however. Should help some people out!

Like I said at the end of the first post, I will add the rest later.

Patience, young ones...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Like I said at the end of the first post, I will add the rest later.

Patience, young ones...

Ah well I was just offering up a suggestion, I wan't sure what "the rest" had intailed, so best of luck with the tutorial, looking good so far.

DawnRyder

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2011

Ah well I was just offering up a suggestion, I wan't sure what "the rest" had intailed, so best of luck with the tutorial, looking good so far.

I posted that this was going to be in 3 parts. I've only finished 2. "The Rest" means part 3. OK?

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
hey the DR. nice tut you got here ^_^ just wanna point out something.

the reason why there are tile glitches in the bottom-left corner, is because your tilemap is too big. ~ i experience this all the time u_u
anyway, it's a great tutorial. (:

~flandre

Back