• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How long did it take for a full team?

krabbypatz93

August Burns Red FTW
Years
  • Age 31
  • AZ
  • Seen Mar 19, 2014
The amount of time it takes me to make a full team varies on what style of training I'm using for that run. In one style, I usually wait till around the Pokemon league to catch a 5th and 6th Pokemon for the team because by then I can usually catch a strong enough Pokemon somewhere in the wild.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
In LeafGreen, my team is not settled until I have captured Articuno with my lovely master ball, so I do complete all 8 gyms with five or less Pokemon in my party.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I would say not long before the first gym. If I ever needed to make changes to the team as I progress, I would.

KirbyX

Veteran Pokemon Master
Years
I guess I have two teams, one I use to defeat the gym's like mankey whose low kick stomps Brock's Onix, and Pikachu for Misty, but my FR/LG competition team which will be very similar to my competition team from Yellow. It takes time to acquire and raise pokemon like Dragonite & Tyranitar in addition to breeding a Snorlax with Curse and a Chansey with Heal Bell, about the Chansey if anyone else is playing FR/LG on VBA has one for trade I'll trade what I can in return, thanks.

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
I get My Full team Before the Elite Four and I remember my team here's the list:

- Venusaur (Starter)
- Blastoise (Trade)
- Charizard (Trade)
- Mewtwo (Event)
- Ho-oh (Cheat)
- Vaporeon (the Free Eevee then I used Water Stone)

Years
It varies. Usually, I first plan my team before I start to play. So since I typically have a different team each time I play, it changes from when I have my full team.

Memoric

Real Eyes
Years
I usually have a full team by the time I reach Celadon. I plan my teams ahead, so I know what to get, and when to get it. Sometimes, though, when a Pokemon underperforms, I replace it when I find a good replacement. My last play of FireRed ended up with Golem, Aerodactyl, Exeggutor, Dragonair, Scyther, and Arcanine.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I didn't complete my team in FR last time I played until I was at the 7th gym. I decided to fish for a Shellder and make it my final addition.

5ygn6tbh

Jan Jansen
Years
In Red I always started with bulbasaur. When I got my pokeballs I caught a pidgey and as soon as i could also a geodude then i changed nothing at my team until i finished the game.
In other games I get my full team before the 5th gym.

[Lucian]

KANTO Champion
Years
Always start with the fire type Charmander

Went to route 1 and immediately caught Pidgey

I had to gameboys and 2 pokemon fr so i sent myself Squirtle and Bulbasaur

Went to Viridian Forest and caught Pikachu

Got Pokeflute and swapped Pigeot out for Snorlax

Swapped Venusaur out for Gengar

My team was complete when I got Lapras from Silph Co.

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
Right till the elite four.
I caught my Growlithe, and trained and trained im to a Arcanine before the elite four.
Loved what i got for the wait ^^

Back