• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Gen 1 Pokémon Fan Club

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Welcome to the club! I actually really like the proposal of a new storyline within Kanto. I reckon you're imagining a Black 2/White 2-esque approach, no? To be honest, there wasn't really that much story behind the first generation games compared to others. The same goes for the second generation games. All it really has is trying to stop Team Rocket, but their only goal is just to steal Pokemon, and you just run around stopping them, because they're conveniently in your way.

In any case, I'd love to see another story that takes place in Kanto, perhaps with Team Rocket again, but where they actually have more of an established goal, and one that's created a story out of. Perhaps it could take place in the past, where you witness Mewtwo being created, and you eventually have to fight it or something. Even something as predictable as that would be great, and it'd give us a chance to see Kanto make a reappearance on the 3DS :p Didn't think of that at all with my last post.

Yeah, something like Black 2/White 2. A storyline with the creation of Mewtwo would be cool, maybe giving a more in depth reason that they made Mewtwo, as opposed to just for the power.

Reactions: Mew

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

Yeah, something like Black 2/White 2. A storyline with the creation of Mewtwo would be cool, maybe giving a more in depth reason that they made Mewtwo, as opposed to just for the power.
Yeahh, I believe in the games the only reason was for power, and that's also the only thing we ever got out of the movie. Though I watched a special quite a while ago about the creation of Mewtwo, and I believe the leader scientist of the team, Dr. Fuji, mainly did it because some of the research could be used to help save his daughter or something. It didn't work though :( In any case, that isn't quite within the canon of the games, but it'd be awesome to get some background on the scientists that worked on it, yeah, though if we're looking at it from simply Giovanni's viewpoint, I reckon it was all about power :p

But yeahh, I generally think a plot pertaining to the creation of Mewtwo, or just something about Mew and Mewtwo, would be awesome :D

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
I haven't posted here in a REALLY long while so I at least owe it to my fellow Gen 1 fans to start a new topic

New Topic: What Eeveelution did you choose for the Eevee given to you in Celedon City and why?

I went with Jolteon in FR. Its Special Attack and Speed really suits my playing style and it looks pretty awesome as well. It even sweeped through Lorelei and destroyed Gary's Blastoise during my first playthrough.

Reactions: Mew

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
Hi guys, username change, and more.

New topic: Have you done any "challenge modes" (Nuzlocke, monotype, etc...) on a Gen 1 game? Which one?

Years
Your username: AoTora
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Vaporeon
Why did you choose to join this club?: I love gen one - it was my second game that I played (FireRed) and I know it by heart by now! :)
And remember to answer one of the current topics.

Why did you choose your current favorite Pokemon? Vaporeon was the first Eeveelution that I used in games - and I loved the way it was presented in the anime.

Which starter Pokemon is your favourite, and why? (Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, and Pikachu). Squirtle- I simply love Blastoise - and I always love Ash's squirtle - and May's squirtle was just so adorable <3 Who doesn't love that tiny blue turtle? =3

What was your favorite legendary in Gen 1 and why? Mewtwo- I loved it's design and it was really strong back than!

Which was better to you - Rattata or Zubat? Rattata -I used one recently and Raticate is just a monster if you use it properly!

Have you done any "challenge modes" (Nuzlocke, monotype, etc...) on a Gen 1 game? Which one? Too many of them to name them all lol

New Topic: What Eeveelution did you choose for the Eevee given to you in Celedon City and why? I almost always went with Vaporeon because I prefer it over Jolteon and Flareon - Flareon has horrible movepool and I don't really know why I don't like to use jolteon all that much.

Years
Your username: CaesarAlexsander

Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Clefairy

Why did you choose to join this club?: Here goes a long story. Gear up. I had a crappy childhood and was moved from parent to parent. While my pops was in prison, I lived in the projects with my mother who treated me terribly. The only escape I had from my reality was the first gen pokemon games, specifically my red version. It got me through my rough years until I was able to return to my dad who is my best friend on this planet. I still play this game today and it reminds me that no matter how bad my life becomes, there's always something that can cheer me up. That's why I love those games. That's why I wanted to join the club. BOOM (Gotta make it pop, Groban likes his essays to pop)

Which was better to you - Rattata or Zubat? Tough one, but I'll have to go with Zubat. Even though they drive me nuts in Mt.Moon and Rock Tunnel, I can't help but love their colors.

Olli

Years
Your username: CaesarAlexsander

Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Clefairy

Why did you choose to join this club?: Here goes a long story. Gear up. I had a crappy childhood and was moved from parent to parent. While my pops was in prison, I lived in the projects with my mother who treated me terribly. The only escape I had from my reality was the first gen pokemon games, specifically my red version. It got me through my rough years until I was able to return to my dad who is my best friend on this planet. I still play this game today and it reminds me that no matter how bad my life becomes, there's always something that can cheer me up. That's why I love those games. That's why I wanted to join the club. BOOM (Gotta make it pop, Groban likes his essays to pop)

Which was better to you - Rattata or Zubat? Tough one, but I'll have to go with Zubat. Even though they drive me nuts in Mt.Moon and Rock Tunnel, I can't help but love their colors.
Wow, I'm really sad you had to go through all of that. Can't say I can relate, since I've never even known my dad, so I haven't experienced getting something so precious taken away from me for a while :(

I'm definitely glad Pokémon served as an outlet though. Pokemon specifically hasn't helped me in that way, but I sought towards this community in a time where I felt pretty alone, and if it wasn't for Pokemon, I would've never found this place haha. Definitely hope you got to experience the games with other people though, because it's just so much better :) Glad you're back with your dad though, and glad that you still enjoy the games, even though they might serve as a reminder of bad times D:

So do you actually like Zubat or do you just prefer it over Rattata? It's rare to see Zubat-lovers out there (contrary to Rattata-lovers, which are quite common among youngsters ;)), but they do exist. And Golbat and Crobat are both actually pretty good Pokemon, so it's not like it's just a terrible Pokemon haha.

Years
Wow, I'm really sad you had to go through all of that. Can't say I can relate, since I've never even known my dad, so I haven't experienced getting something so precious taken away from me for a while :(

I'm definitely glad Pokémon served as an outlet though. Pokemon specifically hasn't helped me in that way, but I sought towards this community in a time where I felt pretty alone, and if it wasn't for Pokemon, I would've never found this place haha. Definitely hope you got to experience the games with other people though, because it's just so much better :) Glad you're back with your dad though, and glad that you still enjoy the games, even though they might serve as a reminder of bad times D:

So do you actually like Zubat or do you just prefer it over Rattata? It's rare to see Zubat-lovers out there (contrary to Rattata-lovers, which are quite common among youngsters ;)), but they do exist. And Golbat and Crobat are both actually pretty good Pokemon, so it's not like it's just a terrible Pokemon haha.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words and I'm definitely looking forward to meeting some cool people (I'm pretty new to these forums)

I wouldn't say Zubat is a favorite, but I definitely don't dislike it. I thought the design was pretty cool, liked the colors. I always caught one in Mt.Moon when I'd start a playthrough. Any pokemon that can learn supersonic and or confuse ray was always an asset to me. As for Rattata, I don't mind that one either, but unlike youngsters, I'm not a fan of shorts {XD}

Olli

Years
Thanks! I appreciate the kind words and I'm definitely looking forward to meeting some cool people (I'm pretty new to these forums)

I wouldn't say Zubat is a favorite, but I definitely don't dislike it. I thought the design was pretty cool, liked the colors. I always caught one in Mt.Moon when I'd start a playthrough. Any pokemon that can learn supersonic and or confuse ray was always an asset to me. As for Rattata, I don't mind that one either, but unlike youngsters, I'm not a fan of shorts {XD}
Well the forum is full of cool people if you look in the right places :D (like all the other clubs ;))) ). So yeah, hope you'll find people that'll make the stay worth it :)

Ah I see. To be honest, I've never been much of a fan of the purple-ish colors, so Zubat and Golbat's designs never really appealed to me, however I've always really liked Crobat :o I rarely ever use them though, and I don't believe I ever had in any of the Kanto games haha. But I often went for the Crobat in the second generation games. The confusion moves are definitely always great to have at your disposal ;D

Personally, I've never really liked Rattata. I think it might be all the bad memories with its Hyper Fang, but generally it's always been a pretty annoying one haha. Luckily it's only really common among Youngsters, and since they usually only appear early on in the game, it's not something I have to deal with for too long. On the other hand, Hyper Fang is always great to have yourself, so it's not like I don't like using Rattata haha.

Years
Well the forum is full of cool people if you look in the right places :D (like all the other clubs ;))) ). So yeah, hope you'll find people that'll make the stay worth it :)

Ah I see. To be honest, I've never been much of a fan of the purple-ish colors, so Zubat and Golbat's designs never really appealed to me, however I've always really liked Crobat :o I rarely ever use them though, and I don't believe I ever had in any of the Kanto games haha. But I often went for the Crobat in the second generation games. The confusion moves are definitely always great to have at your disposal ;D

Personally, I've never really liked Rattata. I think it might be all the bad memories with its Hyper Fang, but generally it's always been a pretty annoying one haha. Luckily it's only really common among Youngsters, and since they usually only appear early on in the game, it's not something I have to deal with for too long. On the other hand, Hyper Fang is always great to have yourself, so it's not like I don't like using Rattata haha.

Raticate annoys me more than Rattata, I can't even tell you how many times I've lost that trainer battle right before you walk into Vermillion. I'd go the entire way through that route after the underground tunnel, my pokemon would be barely hanging on and then I'd have to battle that last trainer with a Raticate and when I lost, I'd be transported the entire way back to Cerulean. So annoying. All thanks to Hyper fang.

Olli

Years
Raticate annoys me more than Rattata, I can't even tell you how many times I've lost that trainer battle right before you walk into Vermillion. I'd go the entire way through that route after the underground tunnel, my pokemon would be barely hanging on and then I'd have to battle that last trainer with a Raticate and when I lost, I'd be transported the entire way back to Cerulean. So annoying. All thanks to Hyper fang.
Lmao, I had that exact battle in mind while writing my last post too. I agree that Raticate is definitely more annoying than Rattata, but Rattata can have just as annoying moments, and since Raticate is the evolution of Rattata, I feel like they kinda fall into the category of "the same Pokemon" haha. But yeahh, that battle has alway been utter hell if you were low, so definitely a prime example :D

I don't know if you've ever done a Nuzlocke before, but they are extremely deadly in those. I've lost so many Pokemon just to Rattatas and Raticates due to their crit Hyper Fangs ;_; It's even worse facing them under those conditions.

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
Years
New topics :3

Which Pokémon was hardest for you to find? Why?

Did you believe in any of the myths about 1st gen (me under the truck, beat E4 this many times to get something, PokéGods, etc)?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Hmm... don't really remember which it was in R/B. Maybe Pikachu? I did find one eventually, but it took me some time. Aside from that, I've no clue, haha. In FireRed and LeafGreen, though, it was Scyther and Tauros. Takes ages to find them in Safari Zone, and when you do, they usually just escape. :(

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
Tauros and Chansey.

I remember in one playthrough, I spent about 5 hours on EACH one trying to capture them. Whenever I wound them and threw one Safari Ball, they fled and I had to find them each about 4 more times before I sucessfully caught them.

Pikachu never gave me much trouble. I used to find them on the 5th-7th encounter.

Scyther? In Fire Red, I usually just bought them at the Game Corner.

Olli

Years

I'd say Mew was the hardest one to find for me, but considering it was only accessible through a glitch or an event, I don't really think it counts haha. Other than that, I honestly don't remember having much difficulty in finding any of the other Pokemon. Perhaps Moltres, since its location wasn't as blatantly obvious as the two other legendary birds, though with the possibility of stumbling over it just by trying to make your way to the E4, I don't really think so haha.

It honestly took me a while to find out how I caught Chansey. It wasn't until a while into my Silver playthrough, where I believe I could trade a Chansey for some other Pokemon, that I really went searching for it, only to realise I had to spend hours in the Safari Zone haha. I guess the same thing would go for Dratini and Tauros, but I never really went searching for those two specifically, so not like I've been trying to find them.

All in all, I wouldn't say I've had a hard time finding any of them, since I'd usually just find them while making my way through the game :p

Did you believe in any of the myths about 1st gen

Yeah, I did, but not during the period where they were super hyped up haha. I didn't even hear about them till after the third generation games had come out, so I was presented to a whole new view of the games. Of course there'd circulated a lot of inside rumours about how to catch Mew, but it wasn't quite Mew under the truck and such. I discovered them through the internet though, and even though probably all the sources explained that they were all hoaxes, I still went on and tried it anyway.

Mew under the truck and Bill's garden were the two that mainly caught my eye, but I've read about so many of them, I don't even know which ones I like the better anymore :p

Rapidame

Lass
Years
Your username: Rapidame
Your favorite Gen 1 Pokemon: Rapidash
Why did you choose to join this club?: Because while Gen 3 has my favorite designs, Gen 1 was how I got into Pokemon and was one of the first video games I ever played, being a big part of how I got into gaming. Also, now that I'm coming back here, i wanted to talk about Pokemon, which I didn't do the first time as i just stayed in the roleplaying section. Also, I've recently done a little bit of/read up on competitive Gen 1 battling, so even though I have Y, RBY is still more fresh in my mind at the moment.
Did you believe in any of the myths about 1st gen? What are they? I used to think Missing No. was one, but I actually caught one. Though considering some of the stuff it does, I wish I didn't. I haven't tried the Mew glitch, but I'm skeptical it might be because of how conflicted the message I get about it are.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 2, 2020
Username: Velveteenwolf
Favorite 1st gen pokemon: Pikachu!
Why I joined: Even after all the new Pokemon and games have come out, my heart still belongs to my first game Pokemon Yellow and the original 151 (know them all by heart). It has helped me through some hard times and after the second gen was the only pokemon game I had til I decided to get Ruby and Emerald (was hesitant at first). Once in a while when ivs, evs, natures and type changes just overwhelms me I like to play Yellow for the reminder of a simpler time. Also the best present I ever had. My parents gave me the game along with a green gameboy color. I knew we didn't have a lot of money at the time so it meant a lot to me.

The only Pokemon I could never find were Version exclusive. I was really young and didnt know I had to trade with someone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back