• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
It's like Twilight. The majority be hatin', but there are diehard fans out there who will tear you apart if you so much as hint that Meyer might have made an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polka-dot bikini mistake. Pax.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
It's like Twilight. The majority be hatin', but there are diehard fans out there who will tear you apart if you so much as hint that Meyer might have made an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polka=dot bikini mistake. Pax.

You said:
VAMPIRES - DON'T - SPARKLE!!!!

So yeah.

And I will try to rip apart people who criticise my love of Star Wars.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
And I will try to rip apart people who criticise my love of Star Wars.
I'm fine with you liking Star Wars, and Star Wars itself, but do I find it art? Only in a very superficial way. It's Campbell-condensed. I admire what it's done and enjoy it on different levels, but I wouldn't compare it to 2001 or A Clockwork Orange or Donnie Darko and say they're anywhere close to each other. (Then again I am biased towards the written word)

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Caliban

Years
I'm fine with you liking Star Wars, and Star Wars itself, but do I find it art? Only in a very superficial way. It's Campbell-condensed. I admire what it's done and enjoy it on different levels, but I wouldn't compare it to 2001 or A Clockwork Orange or Donnie Darko and say they're anywhere close to each other. (Then again I am biased towards the written word)
I actually preferred Shatterpoint to 2001. (the book)
I don't like the movies very much. The books are better.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

YES! FEAR!

FEAR leads to ANGER! ANGER leads to HATE! HATE leads to - LET'S NOT GO THERE!

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Amusing. The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear is where George Lucas ripped off that particular line.

Because they're just so similar, right? Right.

Anyway, now that we're on the topic of science fiction, I like me some ponderation with my laseration. Movies like Gattaca, Bladerunner, Primer...good stuff, those. Not that I'm opposed to Star Wars: quite the contrary. Take out Jar Jar Binks and the general money mongering and fan pandering that was Episodes I-III, and I like that particular universe as well.

Good lord, I do believe I'm high on sleep deprivation. Time to go write that LatiasxLatios story. *shaky thumbs up*

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Because they're just so similar, right? Right.
George Lucas was originally going to film an adaptation of Dune without Frank Herbert's permission, so Frank sued him and Lucas scrambled to basically change names and the basic premise.

My issue is that George Lucas didn't even bother to do any real changes. I can bring up a list of dozens of things that are nearly exactly the same as in Dune.

Anyway, now that we're on the topic of science fiction, I like me some ponderation with my laseration. Movies like Gattaca, Bladerunner, Primer...good stuff, those. Not that I'm opposed to Star Wars: quite the contrary. Take out Jar Jar Binks and the general money mongering that was Episodes I-III, and I like that particular universe as well.
Gattaca is a favorite. I own it on DVD and have fond memories of watching it with my ex. (We even did that after prom) Bladerunner was good, but awfully slow. I'm sure I could get a better experience with a different cut... And if I was to watch the prequel trilogy again, I'd do it with the Phantom Cut, which does just what you said: removed Jar Jar Binks and many other things to make a much better film.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I didn't really feel one way or the other about Jar-Jar, to be honest. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't there, but I don't mind that he is. :/

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Why everyone be hatin' on Jar Jar, yo? He was the best part of I-III!

Could you do me a favor? Just...force-feed me my netbook? No, turn it sideways like...there you go.

*all future posts will be typed via telepathy*

I didn't really feel one way or the other about Jar-Jar, to be honest. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't there, but I don't mind that he is. :/
Jar Jar epitomized the general redirection of the Star Wars series from telling a story to selling a franchise. He was in the movie so that toys could be made of him, which younger moviegoers would then beg their parents to get them. This trend continued as the droids changed from mindless killing machines to comic relief, and has reached its highest note in the form of the Clone Wars cg show.

Either that or I'm just paranoid. Or perhaps my stomach acid has reached the inner chamber of my netbook's battery. Ooh, tingly...

EDIT: Did I tell you guys that people are stealing my art and trying to pass it off as their own, even though it has my name on it?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Jar Jar epitomized the general redirection of the Star Wars series from telling a story to selling a franchise. He was in the movie so that toys could be made of him, which younger moviegoers would then beg their parents to get them. This trend continued as the droids changed from mindless killing machines to comic relief, and has reached its highest note in the form of the Clone Wars cg show.

Either that or I'm just paranoid. Or perhaps my stomach acid has reached the inner chamber of my netbook's battery. Ooh, tingly...
That's true to an extent. You have to realize that George Lucas is now a husband and parent, so his works are going to cater towards children a bit more than they would if he was younger and single. He's also very rich. Like, filthy rich. Because of this he has to finance all films he works on basically out of his own pockets, so shameless merchandising is a means to work some more money back that the films might not be as capable in doing.

Finally, we're all older. This is more true for the generation that was actually young enough to watch Star Wars when it came out in theatres, whom are all now adults, but it can be applied to us to a certain degree as well. What all those older fans don't seem to realize is that the original trilogy was basically an intelligent movie aimed at teenagers and young adults, and with the Ewoks, children. Now that they're older they only watch those old movies through nostalgia glasses so they don't see that, but with the new ones they're all annoyed that they don't cater to their adult intellects. But in reality Lucas is simply doing as he did before, although a bit more obvious.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
txteclipse said:
Call me a cynic, but telling a story is often selling a story. That's what Star Wars the Original Trilogy was - otherwise any profit over and above paying for the necessities of those who get the profit would have been donated. They've just diversified. ;o It's a matter of the extent to which they've sold out. I didn't mind the comic relief, tbh. I would have preferred the more subtle nature of the old series, though. :s

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I have no opinion on Jar Jar Binks, nor any other part of this discussion, because I gave up on Star Wars half-way through the first movie. [reclines in her folding lawn chair] I have no idea what you guys are talking about, kukuku~

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
I wouldn't call it cynicism, but logic and reality... Sure there are those who want to show their art, but in the end, we'd like to be fed... So...

Caliban

Years
Gattaca was very good. But I'm afraid to say that I've had enough of it... >.>
We've been watching it every day in school for the last two weeks. Grrrrr!

[EDIT:] Gattaca was made by ein Kiwi, apparently.

EDIT: Did I tell you guys that people are stealing my art and trying to pass it off as their own, even though it has my name on it?
SHOOT TO KILL! SHOOT TO KILL!

Do any of you see the similarities of the original trilogy to the war where the Americans kicked the Brits out? And the American Civil War with the next three?

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Dang it, people are downloading Japanese ROMS of HG/SS and showing off all the revamped awesome that is the games! I want them to come out heeeerrrrreeeeeeeeeeee

SHOOT TO KILL! SHOOT TO KILL!

For friggin' serious.

Do any of you see the similarities of the original trilogy to the war where the Americans kicked the Brits out? And the American Civil War with the next three?

I couldn't really be bothered to think that much right now, and I'm wretched with history, so no.

Caliban

Years
Dang it, people are downloading Japanese ROMS of HG/SS and showing off all the revamped awesome that is the games! I want them to come out heeeerrrrreeeeeeeeeeee
I want them HERE!
For friggin' serious.
Yes. I'm being very, very serious. No-one should be allowed to pass your work off as their own!
I couldn't really be bothered to think that much right now, and I'm wretched with history, so no.
Oh well. I like history...

Caliban

Years
I was agreeing with you, lol. Anyway, I like some history, namely the world wars and anything to do with ancient Japan, but otherwise meh.
Ah, I see. I thought that you thought that I was being sarcastic.

How many people here find it easier to write when they have some sort of animal on them/their chair/bed/couch/floor/anyplace nearby?
(Not bold!)

Right, I'm off for now. I'll be back around ~11:00 NZ time.

Auf wiedersehen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back