• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Battle Subway Rants/Advice

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
Years
There is no aspect of the Gen V games that has genuinely frustrated me (and almost made me want to take a hammer to a cartridge) more than the Battle Subway. I bet I'm not alone in this, so if you need a place to rant about what I consider a terrible aspect of the game, chime in!

FYI: I've beaten the Super Single bosses, but I get stuck all the time in the Super Double.

My peeves:
1) The system seems to decide right around battle 43 that you've gone far enough and comes up with a team whose attacks NEVER miss that perfectly counter whatever you have... it seems to never fail for me.
2) The endless saving and general slowness of the process removes just about all fun from the process of going up the ladder...
3) The scenery could at least be interesting...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
:( I'm sorry they have angered you so much!

But hm I agree in regards to the scenery. It's just boring, something unique needs to happen and we actually needed to see more. That's what I found disappointing, I really expected more from the Subway honestly.

As for the actual in general battling, I never got too high, but I do admit it was way too competitive for in-game, they should've made it easier imo!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I like that it's competitive. I can't do competitive battling from home because I'm completely stupid as far as using those systems go, so for a semi-competitive gameplay available in-game to me is awesome!

That said, the scenery sucks. Is one small tube you battle in with benches to sit on and a few random poles in the middle of it. The actual station itself is pretty neat, and Anville Town is cute, but the trains themselves are super duper lacking. Super.

Years
I do like how it offers some competitive battling in an in-game environment, but I could always never get past the second round, probably because I'm still a noob at competitive play lol.

The scenery though, I do have to admit is dull and boring. I was expecting more than that but at least it was fun anyway.

Years
I think it's a good way to distract yourself when you get bored. And going on the Multi-Train with a friend is fun especially when you have good combos together.

Years
I try one time, but i was beaten in the seven battle of the second round, and just like you said Deejay, the game seems to send pokemon that counter all of yours.

The good part was i conserve my 3 points for the first round.

I think actually its a good option, just we need more strategies, not only in the choice of the pokemon, but also in their movements, and the items we must use.

In my first try my pokemons doesn't hold items.

When I feel more strong i will try again :)

But in general terms, i think its exiting, because you don't know what kind of pokemons you will go to face until the battle.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Ah, I remember my last run at the Battle Subway in White. On the 20th battle, I was down to Cobalion, and my opponent brings out a Jellicent. I hit it with Iron Head (my other attacking moves were Retaliate and Sacred Sword, both being ineffective against Ghost types); turns out the Jellicent haf Cursed Body. It disabled Cobalion's Iron Head, and I lost right before the first boss battle.

I didn't try it out again though, and I doubt that'll happen soon, since Black Tower/White Treehollow seem a lot more interesting and complex, so I'll work on that first.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I rememeber one match where I couldn't control my anger. I was playing against one of the Artists in a single battle at the Battle Subway and his first Pokemon to come out was a Simipour. My team was Chandelure, Leavanny and Cinccino, and right out of the bat his Simipour completely pulverized my whole team in three turns with a combo of Surf, Ice Beam and Focus Blast! Quite annoying when you have a super-effective Grass-type attack planned for the Water Monkey and yet he manages to outspeed and OHKO you.

Zekrom1066

Master of Ideals
Years
I just hate Ludicolo which attempt to stall you out with Leftovers+Rain Dish+Leech Seed.

They always run a set of Rain Dance, Protect, Leech Seed and Giga Drain. Since they will always try to Protect on every 2 turns, its just very irritating to take it out...

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I don't tend to get overly frustrated by it because I only play it to get the power items to EV train, but the scenery is pretty dull :/

When I do play I always go for multi battles with the in-game Hilbert because I'm a total noob and fail miserably :P

Back