• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hearing is the first sense to go...

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
If you had to give up any of your senses, which would it be?

I would get rid of taste. For numerous reasons, really. Namely that I could eat healthy without it being any bother, but also because I feel losing other senses would be too disadvantageous--the loss of taste betokens very little for your situational awareness.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
Being a musician, that's an easy one for me to answer. Gonna go with sight. I'm learning echolocation, anyway.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Smell. I like eating (tasting,) feeling, hearing, and seeing.. I wouldn't mind losing my sense of smell. My sense of taste may be less but it wouldn't be diminished entirely.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Smell. The things I'd be glad to not smell anymore probably outnumber the things I like the smell of haha. But yeah, as Kura said, taste also gets hit pretty hard. ;P

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm thinking my sense of smell because smell and taste are not as necessary as touch, hear, and sight are, at least to me. The benefits of the latter greatly outweight the benefits of either of the former.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Probably taste, every other sense is so important, taste is just about encouraging you to eat, which is important I guess, but not like touch or hearing.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I think smell would be a sense I'd rather lose. The other four senses are just too important for me to lose. Smell is just...not necessary. xD If I want to try something, I'll just see it. :P

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Taste is the least useful to me and would be my choice. Smell is important for detecting gases / stuff burning etc. I think life would be easier if I couldn't taste.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I guess smell. I mean it's not like I have any use for it, aside from, well, smelling stuff.

Losing touch would be bad. I would miss being able to feel stuff...even pain.

Last edited:
Years
Smell. My nose is already crap anyway, might as well just get rid of it. I couldn't live without any of the other senses. Except maybe touch, but tbh, that's probably be more dangerous than losing my sense of smell.

Years
Smell and taste are pretty closely linked, so I'm not how well one would work without the other. That being said, I'd rather lose my taste than my smell. For example, I'd still notice smoke or toxic fumes right away, rather than not noticing and possibly harming myself because of it. Taste, though, might even be a benefit, as I'd gladly eat things that I may not really care for right now (I'm looking at you, brussel sprouts).

Of the other three senses, I'd prefer to lose hearing, touch, then sight in that order.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Brendino pretty much sole my answer... but ya pretty sure taste will not function normally without smell, but I don't know about the vice versa. Maybe I can... erm cut out on spending in food if I actually lost my sense of taste and I can eat more nutritiously? Haha.

Dare anyone to willingly give up the sense of touch... >_>;

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Smell. I'd miss the scent of my perfume, but my eye sight is more important.

Years
Someone told me the other day that your sense of taste is 80% smell, or something to that effect, but it made sense to me since I've never had a good sense of smell and also never enjoyed lots of "tasty" foods, which to me just had weird and gross textures. I imagine if I lost my sense of smell then all food would be like that and that's not something I'd look forward to. So while I'd still give up my sense of smell, I'd do it more grudgingly now that I know what it would probably mean.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Definitely taste. That'd do wonders for my body as well as leave me with everything I need to live a happy life. I might get upset when I can't enjoy food like I used to, but it's far better than not being able to see or hear or feel.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
Considering I have slight hearing loss and dislike it enough already, hearing is definitely something I do not want to lose. Sight is just as important to me as I am very observant. Loss of touch has drawbacks because while you would not feel pain, you may have an internal body issue and may never notice until it becomes too late.

Taste and smell are nice things, but I lean towards losing my sense of smell first because foooood.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I would choose to lose smell, I'd still have taste though lowered, be able to draw and see and stuff, hear music, feel pain to ensure that if I were to accidently put my hand on the stove by accident to know I'm dying xD, and not smell nasty stuff.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I can't smell things all that well to begin with, unless they're really bad smells... then I can smell all too well. So... yeah, take my sense of smell, I really don't care.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Smell. Hands down. I honestly wouldn't know how I'd cope without sight or hearing, so those two are off the table. I can't imagine anything good from coming from a lack of touch, so that one's off. And I love food too much to lose my sense of taste. Obviously taste and smell are connected, so I hope losing one wouldn't lose the other... but it's the price I'm willing to pay in this hypothetical scenario.

Back