• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Getting mad about people using the word "autistic" as an insult is as bad as getting mad about people using the word "retarded" as an insult. People who get mad about these things irritate me. Either they're not actually upset and just want to put themselves on a pedestal so they can feel good about themselves, or they're actually upset in which case they need to mellow out and realize using words as an insult does not mean you find the associated concepts insulting. Political correctness has made everything less fun in general, as you have to watch what you say at all times for fear of upsetting someone, like that's something that needs to be avoided. When I was a kid, if something upset you, you were told to "get over it." What ever happened to that?

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I've known one autistic individual and have seen another working (same behavioural ticks as the guy I know, but it could just be the milder asperger's).

I've never heard the term "autistic" being used as a synonym for "stupid," even on the Internet. "Retarded," sure, that's a popular one, but "autistic"? I can definitely see how people would take it and misuse the term to mean something condescending, but it just makes the name-caller sound stupid to me lol

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I've known one autistic individual and have seen another working (same behavioural ticks as the guy I know, but it could just be the milder asperger's).

I've never heard the term "autistic" being used as a synonym for "stupid," even on the Internet. "Retarded," sure, that's a popular one, but "autistic"? I can definitely see how people would take it and misuse the term to mean something condescending, but it just makes the name-caller sound stupid to me lol
I was using "retarded" as an analogous situation, not an identical one. It's not actually used to mean the same thing, though it is usually used as an insult.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think in 4chan it's used as a synonym for "overly nerdy" about something, therefore ignoring other things.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
(HF)Autism is ok, it gave me my love of history. My OCD is what's bad. Randomly thinking about what someones' face looks like in a blender while shopping or if they'd live if pushed into the road made life unbearable.

As for the "misuse" of the word, that's life. Does it annoy me somedays? Yes, but give it ten years and something else will be misused instead and will annoy you. Just let go.

Asura

असुर
Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2013
I read somewhere the other day that a massive pre-natal study on autism revealed that mothers who suffer from gestational diabetes during their pregnancy are more likely to have children who will develop Autism. That and other factors we already knew, such as age.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Honestly, people who use autism are not using it to specifically and personally attack autistic people. They're most likely using the term because it has become a popular word to use, even if the context it's used in is incorrect. It's the same thing with the words "gay" and "retarded"; they aren't being used to harm these groups of people, the words have just become associated with something else entirely. I think it's a bit ridiculous when people get angry over a misuse of words, simply because words are words and should not have so much charge to them. That's my own opinion, however.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
A couple of things I feel about autism, coming from someone who has it.

1) I don't really care if someone goes around and uses the word "autistic" to describe someone being an ass, because 1) I know they're not referencing me and 2) they're not, most times, talking about someone who is severely incapacitated, and you can tell when they are.

2) The bigger problem with autism is honestly the stigma associated with it. Autism is an incredibly broad subject that defines people who are mildly impaired to those who cannot function in society without great amounts of assistance; however, since people fear that a child may become the latter, they end up hindering the former. Yes, this does happen and yes I've seen it first hand, and it's freaky. The ONLY thing you can generalize about autistics is the thing that defines them in the first place - the DSM definition (which is being updated). I've heard people say all sorts of stupid **** to my face, such as 1) They're commonly criminals, 2) they don't have emotions, 3) they don't like roller coasters, 4) they don't care about people dying, and 5) they're incapable of being judgmental.

The biggest problem is very simple - most autistic people are not so severely incapacitated that they can't have independent lives. Many are capable with fairly mild amounts of assistance. They may have peculiarities but for the most part if 1) people are respectful and 2) they learn how to deal with people who hurt them then usually mild to moderate autistics are able to overcome the ********. 1 is particularly difficult to deal with but that's what life is all about.

Sadly it's "scary" in the face of most adults, the idea of their child being autistic, because of this stigmatization. Think about it. To other people, you're considered wrong, because of the way your brain works - but to you, that's normal. Then people try to tell you how to handle your life and tell you how you can't do this or that or should do this or that and they talk down to you. I'm smart, I have an IQ of 134. I don't need to be talked down to because of these people.

But I mean at least in my own personal experience I have found that there is always someone out there who will look beyond your flaws and accept you for everything you are, autistic things or not. I have a lot of talents (as do many autistics), and how I see it is a different brand in most cases. People just wanna focus on all the wrong things instead of all the right.

Honestly I don't see what's so bad about something that makes me analytical, gets things right, observant, intelligent, knowledgeable on an (important) narrow subject and able to concentrate fully on tasks.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2013
Meh. I've got high-functioning autism (diagnosed as Asperger's, but if I recall correctly, the two were merged. I dunno, I'm not an expert on these things), and it can affect my life to a significant degree at times, like when I feel an urge to talk about/think about/read about/etc. dinosaurs or Pokemon. At times, such as when it is too noisy, I cannot focus, though some of that may be due to my ADD.
As for the misuse, I don't get it too often, but it's kind of irksome, especially when low-functioning kids are the stereotype for autism, and they get most of the attention for it, leaving some of the higher-functioning kids without help. Self-diagnoses aren't too good, but I really don't care much, just so long as they don't take it too far.

Autistic Lucario

Life is too short not to enjoy
Years
If it weren't for autism, Pokemon probably would never have existed.

I've been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and ADD. They can throw a monkey wrench in my life sometimes, but more often then not, I find a way to use that wrench to repair the damage.

My mom keeps telling me that I need to write a book or something about autism. I'm still wondering whether to use facts and stats or to explain the world from an autistic point of view.

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
If it weren't for autism, Pokemon probably would never have existed.

^ This. Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon has Asperger's syndrome. Many other famous people, including actress Daryl Hannah and singer Courtney Love were diagnosed with it in some form as well. Even Emily Dickinson, one of the most influential American poets is now believed to have some form of spectrum disorder. A common trend among autism disorders is great creativity, which many people can put to their advantage. I have a handful of friends who are autistic, and in all honesty each and every one of them is brilliant in some way.

Sadly the media tends to emphasize only the most extreme cases. And while it's true that there are people with autism who cannot speak, or even walk, this represents only a small section of a vast spectrum. This ignorance has unfortunately led to an awful stereotype of autism which just isn't true. There are also several disorders that are not considered to be autism, which can produce similar symptoms, that non-medical culture will label as otherwise. Autism tends to be poorly understood by the masses, and even scientifically there is much we are learning. There is no single cause the can be pinpointed for the condition, but there are very likely several biological and environmental factors involved. Hopefully in the future both the scientific community and the public at large can have a better understanding of autism, showing how people with the condition do not allow themselves to be overcome by it.

Autism may be a condition, but in no way does it define who a person is.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I have mild autism.

I'm only posting here mainly because I agree with what Starlight has said. I believe that a majority of pokemon fans are somewhere on the spectrum, and why is that? Because of what she just said:

Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon has Asperger's syndrome.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm only posting here mainly because I agree with what Starlight has said. I believe that a majority of pokemon fans are somewhere on the spectrum, and why is that? Because of what she just said:

Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon has Asperger's syndrome.

It probably has to do with how Pokemon is set up, and that is attractive to those on the spectrum. I could be wrong, of course. But it is noteworthy, I believe.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
It probably has to do with how Pokemon is set up, and that is attractive to those on the spectrum. I could be wrong, of course. But it is noteworthy, I believe.

I do have to admit... that when I got into pokemon, I had no idea that Satoshi had AS. I didn't find out until later that he had it. So, you could be right about that.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
My only questions is why should we care if someone has aspergers or not. It doesn't ****ing matter. We need to stop overinflating this ****, because how I see it, I'm not Temple Grandin and I'm not Satoshi Tajiri either so I could care less and would rather not be compared to them, and be judged on my own accomplishments.

Thats how I see it anyhow.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I think of it more like... hey, this person accomplished something of worth despite or maybe even because of their condition, which is the same as/similar to mine. Maybe I could one day be that great?

I mean, probably not, because I in particular am not worth ****, but other people might be relieved and/or inspired by such knowledge.

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I mean my argument is that I'd rather be judged on my own accomplishments than someone else's. It's great that Tajiri was successful but honestly I don't care that he has Aspergers because obviously he managed to make something of himself, and that's all I think is worthwhile pointing out. Me? I want to make myself amazing, autism or not. It doesn't matter what everyone else is doing because it's about what I can do, because I'm no Tajiri and I'm no Grandin.

But I'm awesome and you are too, and it's all a matter of finding out why. I tend to dislike affiliation in general though. It's like comparing all blindies to Stevie Wonder though.

:p

edit: WHY CAN'T I UNLIKE MY OWN POST i meant to see who liked it not liking it myself derp

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Oh, certainly. I'd rather not be compared, but it is something to note, I think. Just because it's like "this is the way their mind works, which may have had impact on their experiences and creativity and worldview." ASD's part of them, it's part of their life as much as the type of household they grew up in.

The only thing I wish would stop (besides misdiagnosis and stigma) is speculative diagnosis. Like posthumously diagnosing famous people is obnoxious because you really can't know for sure so knock it off.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think comparisons aren't necessary, no matter what the condition is. Whether it's because someone has Asperger's, deaf-blindness, being of a different race, etc. It just stands out among the crowd when someone overcomes a world of people that aren't like that and makes something more of things despite odds being against them, but when it all comes down to it, we're all human beings.

Basically, I wouldn't compare someone with autism to Temple Grandin and expect everyone with autism to be like her, but I wouldn't look past her accomplishments. Those accomplishments are her's, and they're something inspiring to people, autistic or not. But it doesn't mean everyone with autism is gonna do the same. If they do, that's great. If they don't, that's great. As long as you're you, what's wrong with that?

Did I make an ounce of sense? :( I feel like I got off track, haha.

Last edited:
Years
The thing about autism is, that those people don't get the credit they deserve. Despite the conditions they are facing, they struggle in life to succeed. But people who are perfectly fine, isolate them from what they call "their" society. People with autism shouldn't be overlooked. No matter how much you deny it, they are just(if not more) as smart as you are. I live in a country where our language is spanish, and since I was little I've been perfectly able to understand and write english. But to this day, I'm still not good at it! I get nervous when speaking in front of people and mess up! However, my cousin is only 8 years old and he can speak english fluently and better than me.

Whoever thinks people with autism is lesser than them is sadly mistaken. Sure they're slow than what you call the average person; but they've been gifted differently. I also used to have a friend in highschool who had autism. And she was shunned from others because of it. But that girl was EXTREMELY talented in drawing and always aced her examns. In fact, it made me admire her. Because she dedicated her life to what she loved, unlike me who wastes time and gives up. In the end everyone became her friend and they respected her.

Back