• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Gen II Shiny Pokemon

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Gen I didn't have them, so group them I shall not.

Apart from the Red Gyarados, did anyone ever catch a legit shiny in GSC? Way back when, before we knew as much as we do now.

I don't remember ever encountering one, to be honest, until I ran into a shiny Geodude in Union Cave this week when I was Lapras hunting in my Crystal replay (the day system isn't working). First legit non-Gyarados shiny I've encountered in any Pokemon game since the Route 1 Pidgey in LeafGreen (true story). Too bad it's emulated on my phone, and I couldn't transfer it to show off on Wi-Fi anyway :/

#isthenumbersign
Years
I spent a lot of time playing that generation, no shiny ever. I didn't care though since I didn't even really understand what they were anyways. I ended up killing Gyarados many times. Guess Johto wasn't very lucky for me. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
The Second Generation was the Generation I had found the most shinies. Ever since I have actually only found one shiny in the wild s-sob. If I remember correctly ...

Silver: Donphan. Was my first shiny ever.
Gold: I restarted after getting a shiny both times in this game because it was my restarting game and I didn't bother to transfer Pokemon but I got a Shiny Oddish and a Shiny Weedle in two separate play throughs!
Crystal: Shiny Elekid hatched from an egg. Didn't even realize that it was shiny until I brought it over to Pokemon Stadium 2.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I remember that I had caught a shiny once (beyond the red Gyrados)... however, I am not sure what it was since it has been a while.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
I recently hatched a Shiny Picu in crystal since I had to restart my game to replace the internal battery. My first shiny ever and prolly my last.

Sirfetch’d

I actually didn't know about shinies until R/S/E where I caught a Sunkern, but in Generation 2 I thought the Red Gyarados was Red because of being forced to evolve and it was unique. I have only ever encountered one shiny pokemon in Crystal and It was a mere Sentret. I caught it a few weeks ago while playing Crystal waiting for White 2:)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The only shiny GSC Pokemon I have other than Gyarados is an Igglybuff! But that was from the Odd Egg, so idk if that'd count really since you have a 50% chance of getting a shiny from it. :( Other than those two, I've never had a random encounter with a shiny in this game. Only generation I haven't had a shiny RE actually.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I never found one until this year, but my friend apparently found a shiny Metapod in Silver, thought they had changed it's color pallet (first one she encountered) and killed it. She later realized what a horrible mistake she had made. I scolded her for this.

WarriorCat

Monotype lover!!!!!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
A story:

I remember one time, about 7 years ago when I was 15, I was babysitting a 6 year old for a friend's mom. He was playing Ruby, I showed him my all three of my GSC games, and he had never heard of them, I let him play one, I traded all my Silver Pokemon to Gold, then let him start a new file on Silver. He got to Union Cave and found a green Onix, I told him to catch it because it was shiny. I let him keep the game to show to his friends, and I eventually bought a new copy.

My personal shiny collection(in GSC)

I have caught 6 shinies in GSC since they came out to now.
Here's a list:
Girafarig on Route 43 in 2001(Gold)
Sandshrew in Union Cave in 2002(Gold)
Elekid from Odd Egg in 2005(Crystal)
Zubat in Slowpoke Well in 2007(Crystal)
Ponyta in Mt. Silver outside in 2010(Silver)
Igglybuff from Odd Egg in 2011(Crystal)

Bleacher

Chaos Worshipper
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Seems like I'm quite lucky. In GSC I caught some shiny mons. Here:

Gold- Shiny Mareep (my first shiny, yay), Shiny Rattata just before Goldenrod City.

Silver- Shiny Caterpie (the golden worm, the best looking shiny IMHO), Shiny Belsprout

Crystal- Shiny Goldeen, Shiny Iglibuff (Odd egg), Shiny Elekid (Second run, odd egg), Shiny Magby (duh).

Counting the evolved forms and the Shiny Gyrados I reared 21 shinies. Though I never managed to get a shiny starter and shiny legendary despite try after try!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I did indeed! I only ever caught one, but it was a beauty nonetheless <3 I caught a shiny Teddiursa on Silver and I was so happy, it's such an adorable Pokémon and I'd always wanted to use one ever since seeing a trainer with it nearish the start of the game. At the time though I didn't actually know what a shiny Pokémon was and just assumed it was a regular Teddiursa but caught and used it anyway, so it's pretty lucky that it's not something I usually would've just killed for exp!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
In GSC I ran into a shiny Drowzee, Krabby, and Nidorina. Didn't have any Poke Balls for the Nidorina though, but the Drowzee and Krabby are long gone because of drained batteries, reset, etc.

I know you have like a 50% chance of getting a shiny from the Odd Egg in Crystal.

Throughout all of the games though, I've honestly never met anyone who's found more shinies (without cheating devices) than me. I can't even remember how many I caught in Gen III uvu

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I only owned Gold, but it was the love of my life during my childhood, haha. Surprisingly I did catch a shiny. It was a shiny Swinub! I was so shocked and surprised, because I never knew what shiny pokemon were. I didn't know if Swinub's were brown or blue, but I had a feeling that they weren't normally blue, so I caught it and looked it up. To my surprise I caught something extremely rare! :D I can still remember sitting in front of my fireplace with my GBC, catching that. Oh, the memories.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Seems like I'm quite lucky. In GSC I caught some shiny mons. Here:

Gold- Shiny Mareep (my first shiny, yay), Shiny Rattata just before Goldenrod City.

Silver- Shiny Caterpie (the golden worm, the best looking shiny IMHO), Shiny Belsprout

Crystal- Shiny Goldeen, Shiny Iglibuff (Odd egg), Shiny Elekid (Second run, odd egg), Shiny Magby (duh).

Counting the evolved forms and the Shiny Gyrados I reared 21 shinies. Though I never managed to get a shiny starter and shiny legendary despite try after try!

Dang man you are lucky as hell. The only shiny I have EVER had is the shiny pichu that I hatched this past summer.

Bleacher

Chaos Worshipper
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Haha, maybe I really was at that time. Anyway, some months ago I found this glitch on internet:

Catch the Red Gyrados, send it to R/B/Y (any). Teach it Mimic TM. Now find a wild ditto, use mimic on it to learn Transform, then transform into that ditto. Capture the enemy ditto. Send it to G/S/C. The Ditto will be SHINY! Breed any non-legendary pokemon with this ditto, and the egg has 1 in 64 chance of producing a shiny pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
In the G/S/C series was that actualy hooked me on pokemon and well to answer your question I have caught the following shinys
1st ever: bellsprout
2nd: snubbull
3rd: gyarados
4th: zubat
5th: cubone
6th:pichu
That's from all the games

Cyndafan

Unknown
Years
WarriorCat said:
A story:

I remember one time, about 7 years ago when I was 15, I was babysitting a 6 year old for a friend's mom. He was playing Ruby, I showed him my all three of my GSC games, and he had never heard of them, I let him play one, I traded all my Silver Pokemon to Gold, then let him start a new file on Silver. He got to Union Cave and found a green Onix, I told him to catch it because it was shiny. I let him keep the game to show to his friends, and I eventually bought a new copy.

My personal shiny collection(in GSC)

I have caught 6 shinies in GSC since they came out to now.
Here's a list:
Girafarig on Route 43 in 2001(Gold)
Sandshrew in Union Cave in 2002(Gold)
Elekid from Odd Egg in 2005(Crystal)
Zubat in Slowpoke Well in 2007(Crystal)
Ponyta in Mt. Silver outside in 2010(Silver)
Igglybuff from Odd Egg in 2011(Crystal)

I also found a shiny ponyta outside mt silver but that was in hg

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Other than the egg and Gyarados, I have caught a shiny Graveler and Golbat in Victory Road. I also got a shiny Electabuzz after the one I traded from Red turned out to be shiny. I also found a shiny Ratata before I had the Pokédex in Gold.

Years
Aside from the Red Gyarados, I never did manage to catch a shiny Pokemon in Gold, but I did see one. I was on Route 45, when a shiny Teddiursa appeared. My team was already leveled up to around 40 at that point, and I think it was at level 18 or 20. I ended up one-hit KOing it with what I thought was my weakest move, and I wouldn't find another shiny Pokemon until I moved on to Sapphire.

Back