• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Will those who said "new type" the day Sylveon was introduced please pick up your prizes at the Lumiose Bookstore, behind the area where the Gogoat is grazing? Thanks.

So I was wrong. I hate the name "Fairy", but hey, we needed something new super-effective against Dragon. So I can deal. I wonder what moves will be reclassified as Fairy type, if any? Obviously we have a lot of new moves coming up.

Cyclone

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
I'll get over it. The only problem I had with a new type was the "Fairy" name rumors, that's all. I am happy that we finally have a new type, but I will just have to get over my distaste for the name. Especially since I love my Azumarill.....anybody think it would get the Fairy typing too?

Just makes me imagine the boys in school saying how they love Fairy type Pokemon, and in turn getting the crap beat out of them. Haha~

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
I'll be damned, things just got real. I'm still remembered how we discussed it few months ago and someone mention Fairy type. Never thought it would come to realization this sooner.

I'm impressed and quite satisfied by Fairy type. Mainly because it is acceptable since there are many pokemons who have "strange" shape, that its neither animal nor objects. It is much better than those Light Type just to "balance" Dark type, an overused argument to add new type.

I'm curious to see how this new type would change the Metagame. Gardevoir and Azumarill can now wreck Dragon-type pokemon with ease, but their weakness to poisons mean the one like Drapion or Toxicroak would get more useful on their Poison type.

Anyway, good job Gamefreak by not making Light type.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
I love that they're introducing a new type. It freshens up some of the old Pokémon, adds a whole category of attacks and allows for new possibilities when it comes to Pokémon designs and whatnot (not to mention new ways to find them?). Plain Pokémon like Wigglytuff or Granbull (assuming they're Fairy-type) are now much more interesting... And now we can have a Fairy Gym Leader!
It won't affect me otherwise because I'm not too much into competitive battling, but it'll be a whole lot of fun experimenting with the new Fairy-type Pokémon.

My only complaint though, like many others, is that it's called "Fairy" and not "Light." Light just sounds slicker to me, idk.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Just makes me imagine the boys in school saying how they love Fairy type Pokemon, and in turn getting the crap beat out of them. Haha~

And then the bullies' Garchomps, Salamences, Hydreigons, etc. getting their asses kicked by those little cute fairies (specially Hidreigon, bcs I think that Fairy will also be SE on Dark). Haha

Fairy type will be ****ing badass!

Also, explaining my previous post, I think that Fairy suits the concept of the type, rather thang Light. Light type would literally suggest the use of light, you know, photons and stuff. I think that this new type represents a kind of Pokémon that doesn't neccessarily uses light, but a kind of pokémon that makes use of its mystic/magic power. For example, in the move Moonblast, I don't think that Sylveon literally uses the light of the full moon to strike the opponent - this would just be like Solarbeam, but in the night time. I think that it actually strikes the opponent by making use of the mystic/magic energy that is associated with the full moon.

Last edited:

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I'm quite fine with this. However, I really hope (probably against all odds, since there seems to be some "evidence" of it already) that the Fairy-type isn't strong against Ice and weak against Fighting. Ice needs a bit of defensive help, and I feel that Fighting reeeeeally needs a nerfing.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
And then the bullies' Garchomps, Salamences, Hydreigons, etc. getting their asses kicked by those little cute fairies (specially Hidreigon, bcs I think that Fairy will also be SE on Dark). Haha.

Eh...there were some Screenshots of it OHKOing Salamence and Haxorus, but didn't OHKO Hydreigon.

Assuming both were Special attacks Hydreigon has 90 SP.D, Salamence has 80 SP.D, Haxorus has 70.

I can't see Sylveon having more SP.A than Gardevoir. Even if so, Highest any of the Eeveeloutions goes is 130. 5 Points difference wouldn't be that big. Since the other two were fairly weak in the special defense it makes sense, but if Dark is weak to Fairy, then Hydreigon should have been knocked out as well since Focus Blast can OHKO it as a regular SE attack not counting STAB. No telling what move was used on Salamence though so difference in power isn't really relevant, not to mention Mood Burst can be weaker than Fairy Wind.

Doesn't really look like Dark is weak to Fairy. Kinda hoping Fairy is weak to Dark though. Dark and Steel~

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
If Dark weak to Fairy, so does end the day of Spiritomb and Sableye as the Pokemon without definite weakness. Fairy could still end that too though if they have advantage against Ghost. I really doubt it if Fairy type only have one type advantage.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Since the other two were fairly weak in the special defense it makes sense, but if Dark is weak to Fairy, then Hydreigon should have been knocked out as well since Focus Blast can OHKO it as a regular SE attack not counting STAB. No telling what move was used on Salamence though so difference in power isn't really relevant, not to mention Mood Burst can be weaker than Fairy Wind.

Doesn't really look like Dark is weak to Fairy. Kinda hoping Fairy is weak to Dark though. Dark and Steel~

Yeah, I've just rewatched the trailer and I couldn't stop noticing that, so I guess that you're right.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If Dark weak to Fairy, so does end the day of Spiritomb and Sableye as the Pokemon without definite weakness. Fairy could still end that too though if they have advantage against Ghost. I really doubt it if Fairy type only have one type advantage.

If ghost were to resist fairy at the same time as Dark being weak to it (which right now seems not likely in either direction) then it wouldn't matter. Not that the Ghost/Dark types have stats to keep them on the top. Both could use boosts.

Hope the Round table gives us full details of Fairy Type.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
If ghost were to resist fairy at the same time as Dark being weak to it (which right now seems not likely in either direction) then it wouldn't matter. Not that the Ghost/Dark types have stats to keep them on the top. Both could use boosts.

Hope the Round table gives us full details of Fairy Type.

I'm think of that possibility too, but since I've seen some people proved that Dark is normal against Fairy-type, then it is only possible that either Ghost is weak, or strong, or normal against Fairy. Well, except boosted Spiritomb, Sableye couldn't do a helpful thing in battle, so this change wouldn't do so much except tarnish their reputation XP.

Fairy as Dragon new weakness have significant impact on the metagame. Gardevoir could pretty much wreck Dragon team if Fairy is resistant against Dark type.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
If the rumor is correct then Eeleektross' line will be the only one with no weaknesses as Fairy is strong against dark, and ghost I'm guessing takes neutral damage as there's no mention of it.

Also if that's true Gardevoir will be able to take down dark types now...
Also if Mawhile does become fairy like the rumor says it'll be able to take down Fighting, and now not only act as a shield against Dragon but be able to inflict some hard damage on them.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If the rumor is correct then Eeleektross' line will be the only one with no weaknesses as Fairy is strong against dark, and ghost I'm guessing takes neutral damage as there's no mention of it.

Also if that's true Gardevoir will be able to take down dark types now...
Also if Mawhile does become fairy like the rumor says it'll be able to take down Fighting, and now not only act as a shield against Dragon but be able to inflict some hard damage on them.

Hydreigon survived a Fairy attack. Its most likely not SE against Dark. Hydreigon can't survive a STAB'd Focus Blast majority of the time. It it could leave with nearly under half, its not x4. x4 would have OHKO'd it.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I'm quite fine with this. However, I really hope (probably against all odds, since there seems to be some "evidence" of it already) that the Fairy-type isn't strong against Ice and weak against Fighting. Ice needs a bit of defensive help, and I feel that Fighting reeeeeally needs a nerfing.
My Reuniclus and my Gothitelle would like a word with your Conkeldurr.

Cyclone

STARMAN15

The Mage of the Group
Years
To all those that think that Tinkerbell is the only fairy Disney has produced, don't forget that the most badass (imo) villian of all time, Maleficent, was known as the Evil Fairy.

Also, to those who are complaining about how the last time that new types were introduced that only two pokemon changed, remember that there were only 151 back then, not the 600+ that is now. It only makes sense that more pokemon would take on this type. As for the anime, it'll probably mostly viewed as new attacks on the old pokemon, but lets be honest, Ash is an idiot and uses his pokedex on every pokemon whether he's seen it or not.

That being said, I am super excited about the new type! I think that it's the perfect way to possibly give some old pokemon a new niche in the metagame and also take Dragons down a notch. I'm very much looking forward to see who else will *hopefully* gain the Fairy type and what new pokemon of this type are offered.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
I'm just mad they didn't really give a reasoning behind the Fairy type. Posters here even came up with the "to balance out the game" reasoning.

I guess there wasn't a reason for Steel and Dark either was there? Just "to balance out the game".

It took them 4 years "to balance out the game" >___>

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm just mad they didn't really give a reasoning behind the Fairy type. Posters here even came up with the "to balance out the game" reasoning.

I guess there wasn't a reason for Steel and Dark either was there? Just "to balance out the game".

It took them 4 years "to balance out the game" >___>

It also took 4 years for the game to become unbalanced. Steel and Dark were made to balance out Psychic type. Pretty plain and simple. They made Fairy to balance out Dragon who has been dominating. Whether it really does as it says has yet to be seen. The best possible Pokemon shown is Sylveon in SP. ATK since some Dragons seem to lack in Sp. Defense. Sylveon has a chance to have 130 Sp. Atk. Gardevoir is close second with 125 Sp. Atk.

Even with that, Gardevoir was still NU. Potential for greatness, but seems to be lacking in power to back up their claims. I hope something with more oomph comes out. Both the high power Fairies so far may remain in NU in terms of use which hardly balances out the competitive scene. Especially so if Fairy have more weaknesses than what we are expecting.

The competitive scene has already proved to work in ways Gamefreak didn't intend it to go. This is another possible thing to not go the way they want. While Dragon has another weakness to exploit it may not change all that much in the competitive scene.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Awesome type, I think it would have been better being called Cosmic type or something similar.. Or at least spelled Faerie. But oh well.
We all knew the Fairy type was coming, it leaked like in April or something.

I'm just really, really happy they didn't make "girl" type. Someone suggested this to me because Sylveon is Pink and has bows. The last thing we need is cultural ideas of feminine and masculine leaking into our Pokemon world.. At least that's my opinion. Just SO happy that didn't happen.

I think adding a new type and making it effective against Dragon was the most excellent thing they could have done for this gen. Maybe the Fairy type will give some more use to previously outclassed Pokemon such as Wigglytuff.

No one has said this yet.

The Game is set in France / Europe.

Fairies are a BIG part of European Folklore.

Totally make sense to roll out Fairies now.
I was thinking this too. I have a feeling they planned Fairy for awhile and decided on a French setting to help set it in. Or maybe vice versa.

Last edited:

Latios Master

11 Year PC Member
Years
I expected there would be a new type, and I thought Sylveon would be that type. I predicted it would be called "Light" or "Rainbow". Fairy isn't too far off. It's not a bad choice.

Back