• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White: Was it as good as you thought?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Speaking of Zorua and Zoroark from the post above, when I first sent my Zorua out, I almost had a heart attack thinking there was a bug with the game. I couldn't figure out why, say, my Emboar was suddenly appearing in a battle where it's weak! I mean, Zorua's moves were right there! I then realized the engine calls the Pokémon whatever it becomes an image of; in-game, it means nothing, but in a competition it can give you the competitive edge because all the opponent would see is Emboar, then after a physical attack, they realize they were fooled. I love it. :D

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I thought HG/SS would be better and they still are, overall.
B/W amounts to about what I expected in terms of quality (though many sprites could do with more fluid animations), but the amount of content is lacking.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Originally, absolutely not. I thought the Pokémon designs were weird (I still think some of them are a bit out there) and the game was too straight-forward and there's a lot of places in the game where you're just like "Ugggh I hate this area do I really have to keep playing?". After so many playthroughs, though, I've found it become tied for my favorite game (with Yellow, though I'm somewhat sure nostalgia plays a role in it). Certainly my favorite generation as a whole.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
It was everything I was expecting and more.

It still falls flat in a couple areas, but the upsides are more than enough for me to overlook any issues in the game (of which there are very few). It was a wonderful game, really. I thought it was another great step in the right direction for the Pokemon games, and I eagerly await for the English release of Pokemon Black and White 2 just so I can see how Unova has changed in the years.

My only problem with it are the Pokemon found in the early stages game. There isn't much type variation, with only Patrat, Lillipup and Purrloin being catchable before the first Gym, as opposed to a plethora of Normal, Flying and Bug type Pokemon you'd usually find, along with many others. Of course, if you're willing to swap out some of your old Pokemon for some newer ones along the way it really isn't a problem.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. Totally surpassed my expectations (although I still prefer SoulSilver).

Black/White were totally what I expected: awesome games with a cool storyline and interesting Pokemon to be caught. But it kind of slowed down post-National Dex.
I agree, it did slow down post-National Dex, but that's why I've thrown myself into aiming to complete my dex, which is still fun :D

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Since I played it right when it was released, I didn't even know what awaits me. I didn't know about anything related to game, so I didn't expect anything. In the end it ended up being my favorite Gen.

Back