• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you ever play the original green?

Sirfetch’d

Never have and I never plan to. I don't want to play a game that I cannot understand.

Years
it's the only main game i haven't played yet :( I know there are roms around but it's not the same... I could get one if i wanted to but it's not on the top of my priorities list.

Years
I didn't know it existed until about three years ago. It does make me wonder how Japan fell in love with such an ugly game, Red & Blue have their imperfections, but Green is on another level. I personally wouldn't want to play it since I can simply enjoy the horrific sprites by finding them online.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I played a fan based english (bablefish translation) port to a "original" green game.
basically a whole cartridge port instead of just an emulation.
It had several bugs within translation issues but the gameplay was all there and it was playable.
I didn't see much differences to Red except minor artwork differences.

Years
my parents got me tha OG cartridge for christmas back in like '99 or somethin

but i couldnt read it so i left it alone

still got tha cartridge tho

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Yes, a few times, actually. While I didn't understand any of it, it's not the first Pokemon game that I beat in Japanese.

Years
I'd love to play the real thing, but sounds like some serious effort to translate in the ROM hack above, I will try it and see the different sprites :-)

Elixir.

Fly Away
Years
I played a ROM of it, if that counts. As for the actual cartridge, no, I have never owned/played one. Although I would love to own it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I haven't played it before, unfortunately. I've never understood Japanese in the first place, so there was honestly no point in me playing it. I always wanted to, though, because I've heard a lot of stories about it. The story about Lavender Town music has gotta be the most interesting of them all. Since they have an English patch now, I may finally be able to give this game a try~

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I briefly played a bootleg English translated Green when at a flea market (a market place where people can sell some used/cheap stuff). The lady priced it at $30. This was about in 2002 or so, and I wasn't impressed with it since I already had Red/Blue.

UNFORTUNATELY, I instead bought the bootleg Diamond / Telefang. Oh jeez, the Engrish. I was deceived into thinking it was a rare Pokemon game that I didn't have yet. It's an alright game by itself, but it was not worth $30. :P

Back