• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lorem Ipsum - The Language Club!

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Hi, new member here **

What languages do you speak, and how well do you speak them?
Italian is my first language, and I speak it almost flawlessly. I think I'm pretty good with English, but I constantly try to improve my grammar and pronunciation.
I'm currently try to learn some basic Japanese by myself. It is simply awesome, I love kanji and the way it sounds~

I also used to study German at school but now that I'm in High School, I'm studying Latin and Ancient Greek. (Since almost the entire Italian vocabulary comes from these languages, in Italy it's pretty common to study them)

Also, what are some online tools that you use to help learn?
I don't really know, I usually rely on books and dictionaries rather than web supports.

Hope everything's ok
Welcome to the club! :D I really like listening to people speak Italian. How difficult is it in terms of learning the language?

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
Shwmae. [Hello]

I thought i'd post regarding my native language.

I have a sneaky feeling I'm one of a select few, if not the only person on this website who speaks Welsh.

It's a beautiful language, if you don't suffocate trying to pronounce certain sounds.

Unfortunately it's going to die out, currently under 25% of the country actually speak it.

Wyt ti'n siarad Cymraeg?

SinfulGuroRose

Ignore me, I'm socially inept.
Years
Unfortunately, I don't speak Welsh, but goodness, it is a lovely language. <3 It reminds me a lot of Old English, in the way it sounds. Do those two have any connection? I haven't had the time to research the progression of the English language into different branches.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
Hello everybody! I'd like to join this awesome club.

Spanish is my first language and I speak it flawlessly. I also speak English, obviously :P. I'm currently at Cambridge level C2 and consider myself fully bilingual.

I'm learning Portuguese right now, I can speak, read and write but I still need to learn a lot.

I use busuu.com. I recommend it greatly.

Vin_Prismriver

Pokémon Cremisi Portals Game Director
Years
Welcome to the club! :D I really like listening to people speak Italian. How difficult is it in terms of learning the language?

Well, it's not THAT difficult, there isn't much irregular stuff. Singulars and Plurals are always the same, for example (but they're based on the gender name they accompany).

However, in english, for example, the verb "love" can be used for all the subjects (except that you have to add an s to the third person), while in italian there is a specific desinence for every person:

Spoiler:

And there are so many verbal tenses:

Spoiler:

Like I said, apart from that, it's not really difficult, and it sounds pleasant in my opinion. Hope I explained (I won't deny I wasn't trying to impress you, I'm proud of my language)
Little translation:

Spoiler:

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
Hmm, maybe this club needs an IRC. Like Trade Corner has and Pokemon Clubs had has. So we can practice conversation in real time, but with writing instead of Skype. Thoughts?

I may have a small obsession with IRC

droomph

weeb
Years
Hmm, maybe this club needs an IRC. Like Trade Corner has and Pokemon Clubs had has. So we can practice conversation in real time, but with writing instead of Skype. Thoughts?

I may have a small obsession with IRC

I'll look into it.

But I personally think Skype is better because you can speak and speaking is about 50% of all language :p

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I'm up for both Skype and IRC.
Some people might be too shy to speak over Skype. x] (sounds like me)
But either works for me.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I can register a channel if you like, not sure the club is really active enough though ):

Which is a shame because this is one of the best clubs on PC ;P

Does anyone have any tips for learning vocabulary? I'm having trouble remembering words by just going over a list of them and their meanings. Any help would be awesome :D

Years
Try going over them in real life. So whenever you encounter a certain word, just say it and think about it and try to say that thought in the language you're learning, so you'll learn how to put it in context better.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
So what happened with the IRC channel/Skype group?
It's been a while since I posted here. xD

Anyone else on wanikani?

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Try going over them in real life. So whenever you encounter a certain word, just say it and think about it and try to say that thought in the language you're learning, so you'll learn how to put it in context better.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2023

As far as fluency is concerned, the only language I speak is English. However, I have been studying Mandarin Chinese for the past few years and know it decently enough to muster up conversations. Aside from that, I know bits and pieces of Cantonese and a decent bit of Spanish as well.

Hmm...I haven't really found any yet. Most of my learning has been either in the classroom or overseas. I'm struggling with finding online materials that work for my level but if you know of any good Mandarin Chinese learning sites feel free to send them my way.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
So what happened with the IRC channel/Skype group?
It's been a while since I posted here. xD

Anyone else on wanikani?

I did it:

irc.systemnet.info #languageclub

Feel free to come and practice or just chat. As for a Skype group, I'm all for it, but I'll have to figure out how to set it up. I'd be great for me, actually, since Ottawa is sadly pretty homogenous, so I have nobody irl to practice with :(

I've set myself a limit of two languages at a time currently (it seems to work pretty well) so I can't take up anything new atm, but after Spanish is done (Russian is looking to take a lot longer) I'm looking at either Japanese or Dutch - in the event that I choose Japanese, would you recommend WaniKani?

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
My native languages are Dutch and Polish, and I speak UK/AU English fluently.
I can understand German a bit, and I can surprisingly understand a lot of Afrikaans and Czech, without learning them at all.
I'm also into knowing Japanese, although Kanji is my only issue with that language.
If the Japanese only didn't use the Kanji script, it'd be the easiest language to learn, ever made.

I'm also fluent with PHP and C++, and I know some C# Scripting in Unity3D.

For human languages, I use LiveMocha, which provides free, community-based courses, and it's quite good.
And if you want to be taught by professionals, you can pay a fee.
For Programming languages, I use official Online resources, though I keep avoiding the C# Documentations by Microsoft, as they're terrible to follow.

Simple phrases in my native languages.
Ik ben Yami, een 21 jarige meid, die 3DS en Wii U games programmeert.
Ja jestem Yami, mam 21 lat i jestem kobietą. Ja programuję gierki dla 3DS i Wii U.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I did it:

irc.systemnet.info #languageclub

Feel free to come and practice or just chat. As for a Skype group, I'm all for it, but I'll have to figure out how to set it up. I'd be great for me, actually, since Ottawa is sadly pretty homogenous, so I have nobody irl to practice with :(

I've set myself a limit of two languages at a time currently (it seems to work pretty well) so I can't take up anything new atm, but after Spanish is done (Russian is looking to take a lot longer) I'm looking at either Japanese or Dutch - in the event that I choose Japanese, would you recommend WaniKani?

No one is in there. :(

As far as fluency is concerned, the only language I speak is English. However, I have been studying Mandarin Chinese for the past few years and know it decently enough to muster up conversations. Aside from that, I know bits and pieces of Cantonese and a decent bit of Spanish as well.

Hmm...I haven't really found any yet. Most of my learning has been either in the classroom or overseas. I'm struggling with finding online materials that work for my level but if you know of any good Mandarin Chinese learning sites feel free to send them my way.

My native languages are Dutch and Polish, and I speak UK/AU English fluently.
I can understand German a bit, and I can surprisingly understand a lot of Afrikaans and Czech, without learning them at all.
I'm also into knowing Japanese, although Kanji is my only issue with that language.
If the Japanese only didn't use the Kanji script, it'd be the easiest language to learn, ever made.

I'm also fluent with PHP and C++, and I know some C# Scripting in Unity3D.

For human languages, I use LiveMocha, which provides free, community-based courses, and it's quite good.
And if you want to be taught by professionals, you can pay a fee.
For Programming languages, I use official Online resources, though I keep avoiding the C# Documentations by Microsoft, as they're terrible to follow.

Simple phrases in my native languages.
Ik ben Yami, een 21 jarige meid, die 3DS en Wii U games programmeert.
Ja jestem Yami, mam 21 lat i jestem kobietą. Ja programuję gierki dla 3DS i Wii U.

Welcome to the club guys! :D

droomph

weeb
Years
No one is in there. :(
Lol I'll try to get in there when I get my **** together :p I do look forward to that fateful day though.

Also, as for something to discuss, how do you use SAT words (meaning "smart-sounding") in everyday speech, writing, etc., or do you just reserve them for formal occasions?

Back