• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"The Best Defense is a Good Offense" [Steel-Type Fan Club]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Well legendaries are... legendary to say the least so I think I'll leave them out when I'm considering this question. Easily Scizor! Even without a Choice Band equipped, it can just rip through teams with Technician boosted Bug Bites and Bullet Punches. While it doesn't sound overly impressive of a Scizor biting a caterpillar to its death, it really is devastating how much damage it can do. Legendary wise I'd actually have to say Jirachi, with Serene Grace it really becomes the Action Replay user of Pokemon, somehow getting their opponent to flinch or be paralyzed every turn. Its hard to get around if you're not careful. And Arceus-Steel does have great defenses but its movepool isn't very versatile (well at least the ones you see in competitive) and you can get past Calm Mind by roaring/whirlwinding it out.

Years
You guys from a pretty competitive point of view, though I guess it's the best way to talk about which Pokemon is the most powerful.

I think Metagross is up there. He has some useful defenses and tight resistances, and is a gigantic, intelligent creature. Meteor Mash is an awesome move as well.

Sirfetch’d

You guys from a pretty competitive point of view, though I guess it's the best way to talk about which Pokemon is the most powerful.

I think Metagross is up there. He has some useful defenses and tight resistances, and is a gigantic, intelligent creature. Meteor Mash is an awesome move as well.

Jirachi just recently got Meteor Mash in an event as well and when combined with Serene Grace it is really really powerful.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Username/Nickname: AlexOzzyCake/Ozzy
Partner(s): Registeel & Bronzong, please!
What made you join this club? I've always adored Steel types so this seems like the perfect place to be. They're a particularly unique type of Pokémon with their huge defences and their wide variety of support moves, alongside the sheer power they often carry, so they rank highly amongst my favourites.
What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon? Bronzong! It's so darn derpy omg. <3

Meteor Mash + Metagross = heaven. Give it Rock Polish and it just wrecks a whole team haha.

Sirfetch’d

Partner(s): Registeel & Bronzong, please!
What made you join this club? I've always adored Steel types so this seems like the perfect place to be. They're a particularly unique type of Pokémon with their huge defences and their wide variety of support moves, alongside the sheer power they often carry, so they rank highly amongst my favourites.
What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon? Bronzong! It's so darn derpy omg. <3

Meteor Mash + Metagross = heaven. Give it Rock Polish and it just wrecks a whole team haha.

Ohhh Alex, nice partner choice! I have always been a fan of Bronzong because he is so unique. Also having a immunity to Ground moves is a HUGE advantage. What makes him stand out though is his great support movepool and his amazing defenses which allows him to set up screens for his teammates to then set up a sweep!

I'll agree here! Meteor Mash Metagross is very scary because of his already high attack and then having a chance to get boosted even more is astounding!

Years
Welcome, AlexOzzyCake :)

Jirachi just recently got Meteor Mash in an event as well and when combined with Serene Grace it is really really powerful.

Jirachi is extremely useful as well. I personally don't think it's a completely fair comparison, because I think Metagross mainly as a hard hitter with good defenses while Jirachi is more of a versatile and jack-of-all-trades kind of Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Levitate? Pshhh, Heat Proof is the way forward! And what's all this duel screens nonsense - Bronzong is a powerhouse in his own right on my teams. Sure doesn't have the best stats or moves for it, but I find him to be a very unique fighter at least and he can help out in some really tough spots. His supportive move sets are interesting, but they don't suit my style haha.

Sirfetch’d

Jirachi is extremely useful as well. I personally don't think it's a completely fair comparison, because I think Metagross mainly as a hard hitter with good defenses while Jirachi is more of a versatile and jack-of-all-trades kind of Pokemon.

I'd agree with that! To me though Jirachi stands out as a Pokemon with one goal in mind and that is to hax the other Pokemon to death with paralysis and flinches.

Also @ Alex, Bronzong is much more powerful than I thought haha! I just checked it's stats and it can really run an all out attack set. With moves like Gyro Ball, EQ, Zen Headbutt, and Explosion it can be a powerful force!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Oh god Jirachi is horrid to face, it's the bane of my existence </3 That annoying parahaxflinch set up with some powerful attacks thrown in can be a huge pain in the butt and all the while you're left staring at some weird ugly imp thing... I don't even know what it's supposed to be haha. The fake tears etched into its skin are creepy as heck and the whole design is just irksome to me. Does anyone else think so?

Sirfetch’d

Wow never looked at it closely before, but those fake looking tears are really creepy and ruins the design for me a bit.

Years
Levitate? Pshhh, Heat Proof is the way forward! And what's all this duel screens nonsense - Bronzong is a powerhouse in his own right on my teams. Sure doesn't have the best stats or moves for it, but I find him to be a very unique fighter at least and he can help out in some really tough spots. His supportive move sets are interesting, but they don't suit my style haha.

Bronzong with Levitate in rain. 0 weaknesses there if you manage to keep the weather up, and it was a powerhouse in my team and it helped mitigate my pitiful competitive battling skills.

Aside from that I don't really mind the "tears" on Jirachi, though I don't really understand why it has to be there.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Levitate or Heatproof?
Spoiler:

In all honesty though I personally think they're both useful abilities with their pros and cons. I personally see Levitate more although Heatproof doesn't sound half bad. Its just rather uncommon but its good to be different? I personally think Bronzong would be better with Heatproof just because fire-type attackers in my opinion are some of the hardest hitters in the game. While ground-types can make you quiver in your boots, an ability to reduce impact from these hot-headed creatures can really do Bronzong a lot of good. Plus fire-types are virtually seen running around a lot of teams compared to ground-types. While both of these types are common I think Heatproof would prove to be quite useful since there are kung fu monkeys and phoenixs at every corner. Levitate is great though don't get me wrong!

Also Jirachi is more annoying than Dunsparce and Liepard, fused. Full stop. Just watch it smile in amusement as it makes the battle so unbelievably frustrating. Substitute, Thunder Wave and then the Iron Head strategy. I honestly didn't think I'd meet something worse than Liepard, but I have. I'm looking at you Jirachi. I've never really liked it from that day forward since its an absolute pain in the butt to face. Although surprisingly there's actually an even more irritating steel-type out there. Skarmory. God damn it. Whirlwinding, setting up hazards and racking up damage. It also can reliably recover itself easily and it'll just make you shake your fist at it.

Offense wise, Durant can prove to be quite the effective threat with Hustle + Hone Claws. While Hustle does sacrifice accuracy for power, it can quickly patch that up and just rip through teams. Its got a pretty good defensive typing to keep it safe from Toxic Spikes and anything else trying to wear down the metal ant. All in all its extremely dangerous if you don't quickly dispose of it. I learned that the hard way. ):

Sirfetch’d

I agree with you about Durant. It is really a very powerful Pokemon that I love to use, but because of Hustle you really need to use Hone Claws and it is really hard to set up because of a 4x weakness to fire and bad Sp. Def. If you can manage to set up though he can become a powerful sweeper due to high speed and really high attack.

Sirfetch’d

fighting type all the way :D blaziken would own any steel :)

Not necessarily! Take Bronzong with Heatproof as an example. It will be neutral to both fighting and fire moves and then retaliate with an Earthquake or Psychic type move which would take down Blaziken. ;)

Years
I agree with you about Durant. It is really a very powerful Pokemon that I love to use, but because of Hustle you really need to use Hone Claws and it is really hard to set up because of a 4x weakness to fire and bad Sp. Def. If you can manage to set up though he can become a powerful sweeper due to high speed and really high attack.

Durant may have lacking special-based stats and HP but once this thing gets a Hone Claws going he can be pretty destructive with Iron Head and X-Scissor. Hustle may be hard to work with but Hone Claws does make up for it. It's one example of a fast but strong attacker. I do agree with Narnia, the little ant can be very dangerous if you don't dispose of him quickly.

And as for which Bronzong ability I prefer, definitely Levitate as it is way superior in competitive play because, unlike Heatproof which grants neutral damage to Fire, Levitate grants a complete immunity to Ground. And not to mention Jirachi is one of the best Serene Grace abusers out there, with the right moves this cutie can hax teams to death. Thunder Wave, Substitute and Iron Head is one true recipe for destruction and death by flinch hax.

Skarmory is also really annoying because it can shrug off many physical attacks plus it sets up entry hazards to annoy you even further. And last but not least, the annoyance known as Ferrothorn. A type combination that resists a lot, and it has an ability that makes any direct attack (making contact) you use against it inflict recoil back on you plus it has the moves to make use of its strategy. Even a Fire-type will have trouble taking it out in the rain.

Let's say that Steel-types are the true annoyances of the competitive scene, yet most have their own strategies to work with.

Sirfetch’d

You mention Skarmory and I just wanted to add that it is even more of an annoyance due to Whirlwind. It can quickly put an end to your potential sweep by erasing all stat boosts you have accumulated. One of the reasons why it is one of the most used Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Ohhhh how could I forget about Ferrothorn? I remember my first encounter with it, where it was carrying the standard set of Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Protect and Power Whip. Its like Blissey all over again. With huge defences it can easily withstand any attacks that you throw at it (except for fire-type/fighting moves) and can stall you out. With an immunity to Toxic, Leech Seed and a good typing to support it, Ferrothorn arguably becomes one of the most frustrating Pokemon out there. Without a fire-type you're virtually left to its doom, being slowly whittled down. Unless of course you have something like a Breloom or something that can set up a Substitute before it falls victim to the three headed spike thing. All in all, if you're not prepared for it, you might just find it ripping apart your team. The Iron Barb + Rocky Helmet combo works quite effectively.

To sum it all up, Ferrothorn is basically like a punching bag for cursing. Except worse.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
jirachi.jpg

Wow never looked at it closely before, but those fake looking tears are really creepy and ruins the design for me a bit.
I KNOW RIGHT. This is the exact thing making me hate that little pixie haha.

You mention Skarmory and I just wanted to add that it is even more of an annoyance due to Whirlwind. It can quickly put an end to your potential sweep by erasing all stat boosts you have accumulated. One of the reasons why it is one of the most used Pokemon.
Ohh I do rather love Skarmory - he strikes me as the perfect example of a Steel type. He takes hit after hit after hit whilst just standing there setting up the field with his support moves and then wreaking havoc with it for the other team members. I think that's exactly how Steel types were intended to work, along with some powerful hits from their reasonable Attack stats and I love it.

Ohhhh how could I forget about Ferrothorn? I remember my first encounter with it, where it was carrying the standard set of Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Protect and Power Whip. Its like Blissey all over again. With huge defences it can easily withstand any attacks that you throw at it (except for fire-type/fighting moves) and can stall you out. With an immunity to Toxic, Leech Seed and a good typing to support it, Ferrothorn arguably becomes one of the most frustrating Pokemon out there. Without a fire-type you're virtually left to its doom, being slowly whittled down. Unless of course you have something like a Breloom or something that can set up a Substitute before it falls victim to the three headed spike thing. All in all, if you're not prepared for it, you might just find it ripping apart your team. The Iron Barb + Rocky Helmet combo works quite effectively.

To sum it all up, Ferrothorn is basically like a punching bag for cursing. Except worse.
Despite what I just said about Skarmory, I haaaaate Ferrothorn haha. His moves and stats are perfect for being a Steel type and he does the job well, but he's just not Forretress and I'll always hate him for that. I adored Forretress, it was really cute! But now seeing this ugly mess of vines and spikes everywhere is... depressing, haha. I don't find him at all aesthetically pleasing and the thought of him moving around is perplexing, so he's not a favourite of mine at all. He's a great battler, but that's it.

Sirfetch’d

I also am not a fan of Ferrothorn haha. I agree he is an amazing battler and very commonly seen because of that, but really to me is just bad. I agree his design is inferior to Forretress who plays a very similar role and just overall is a very ugly Pokemon that I hate facing and hate using.

Dark Shadow 6

Friends Till The End
Years
Nickname: Musaddiq
Partner(s: Lucario And Dialga

What made you join this club? I Reay Love Lucario And Lucario Is Steel Type That's Why I Join This Club

What is your favorite Steel-type Pokémon? My Favorite Lucario

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back