• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Great Pokemon Platinum Version Retype Project! (COMMUNITY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
The task before those who choose to accept it is a project planning to retype the entire Sinnoh dex, and perhaps even the entire Gen 4 National Dex!
However, there's a deeper level than that. My intent is to use these sprites, author permitting, in a Platinum version romhack! Anyone who wishes to participate will be credited for their work on the project, but if you wish to participate for fun, let me know and I'll exclude you from the game.

vgUWFrX.png

A few stipulations, however:

Use the graphics provided in the mediafire link below. When you find the sprites you're looking for, click 'Save PNG' to save that file. ONLY SAVE FILES WITH (1930) NEXT TO THEM, THE OTHERS ARE PALETTE INFORMATION.

When you're finished, your sprites should be in the following format:
Back Sprites (both frames):
snorunt1.png

and Front Sprites (both frames):
snorunt2.png

What not to do:
1. Do not scratch or redo the whole sprite. Keep the original pose as much as possible.
2. Do not use more than 15 colors (including black and white) in your sprite. This is VERY important. I suggest only changing the original colors and not to add any new colors. Please use Indexed Color mode in Photoshop to make sure the palette is okay.
3. Do not make your sprite bigger than 80 x 80 pixels. Try and make it similar in size to the original sprite.
4. Do not change the background color of the ripped sprites and please use photoshop to make sure you aren't adding new colors that would not fit the palette or the sprites will be incompatible.
Sprites will only be accepted in .PNG format.
Files are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?a9ix4gdmw3z3lnh
Kanto Pokemon start at Item 6
Johto Pokemon start at Item 912
Hoenn Pokemon start at Item 1512
Sinnoh Pokemon start at Item 2322
Ripped sprites in the Sinnoh Dex are here: http://www.mediafire.com/?z4jp4awy7mkds61
If you do not have access to photoshop or similar programs, Graphics Gale is an acceptable substitute to make sure the palette information isn't out of bounds.

Feel free to reserve any Pokemon you'd like to do, but please don't sit on it for a long time if at all possible.

Most of all, have fun, because cliches are totally tubular.

Oh I think I forgot to mention
THIS IS A CONTEST IN DISGUISE
Rewards will be distributed for the following;
>Contributor! (Most contributions to the game!)
>Most Creative! (The most imaginative contributions!)
>Best Quality! (Whoever provided the highest quality sprites!)
>Helper! (Provided the most assistance to others looking for help in the thread!)

The winners will be allowed to write the introductory dialogue of the Elite 4, assign their teams and types, and a bonus reward that will be revealed at the Sinnoh Dex's completion!

BETTER INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO EDIT SPRITES SHAMELESSLY STOLEN FROM AN OLD THREAD
If you don't have Photoshop or anything more advanced than MSPaint, read on. For those that do, skip to the next paragraph.
- Download Graphics Gale (Free Edition). Install it and run it.
- Open the sprites you saved from the previous section.
- You should see several different windows. The only 2 you need are "Pallete" and the main window. Feel free to close everything else.
- The Pallete window is important. If you want to have different colors, you MUST change one of the old colors in the palette. Do NOT create a new color. The number of colors you have should NEVER exceed past the 1st row of the Palette window (which has 16, the maximum a Pokemon sprite is allowed).
- The top right menu has a bunch of tools. The only ones you really need for simple editing are Magnifier, Lasso, Pen, and Flood Fill. They work just like they do in Paint.
- When you're done, save it as a PNG.

PHOTOSHOP USERS
- When you open up the sprite, you should be in Indexed Color Mode. Do not switch to a different mode.
- If you want to have different colors, you MUST change one of the old colors in the palette by going to Image > Mode > Color Table, then click on one of the colors and change it. Do NOT create a new color.
- When you're done, save it as a PNG.
----PHOTOSHOP SHORTCUT----
If you've changed the colors on front sprites, and want the back sprites to have the same colors, you don't need to change each color manually.
On your front sprite, simply go to Image > Mode > Color Table, click Save and save the palette as a .act. Then go to your backsprite, go back to the Color Table, and click Load and load the .act. Your back sprites will now have the same colors as your front sprites!

Sinnoh Dex:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
We are allowed to retype any Pokemon on the list correct? And are we allowed to assign any type we want to that Pokemon?

Receiving the stock sprites could be a problem to, maybe you could make a step-by-step tutorial on how to get to these sprites. When opening the .rar I expected PNG formats.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
Yes, you may assign any type you'd like to the pokemon listed unless already listed otherwise, such as the starters for balance reasons.
Unfortunately, there's no 'easy' way to find the sprites so I ripped most of the sprites here: http://www.mediafire.com/?z4jp4awy7mkds61

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2018
What should we do with pokemon with Gender Differences, edit both?

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
If they have gender differences, I would really just worry about one set of sprites at a time. Don't worry about them until you're satisfied with the first set.

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
can i do mr mime and jr mime?

i am planning to do them as dark type.
GWgORlU.png

oh i just did. don't worry if you won't take them, i wont be sad or something.

Last edited:

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
hD4nzlL.png

so this is what i did: changed the color of everything. gave sad eyes, sad look and a new hair.

i am starting on back sprites too.

i'll edit this post when back sprites are ready.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
On Pokemon gender differences, I guess I'd focus on the Females, who generally have the smaller fangs and horns and stuff. The details on the males can be fixed later. If there are significant gender differences, come to me and I'll discuss it with you. I probably won't have gender differences in the initial stages anyway.
Also, kinataki, I like so far. Are you planning to do the backsprites?
e: Uh, there's an issue. I assume you didn't rip the graphics from the file provided, because they're incompatible with the original files and the palette information is incorrect. I didn't have time to double check this morning so I assumed it was alright, but I won't be able to import them in this fashion.
e2: Okay I went and manually ripped all the sprites in the Sinnoh dex (barring a few exceptions that are either done or require extra work ripping) and they can be found either in the OP or here
e3!?: NEW EXCITING INFO. Should you botch the palette information, paste your sprite over the original ripped sprite in Graphics Gale (linked in the OP) and that's it. This apparently works:
sthzF9H.png

jkpRZD7.png

Last edited:

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
but the ones you did look diffrent :(
, and i really didn't get what your file was so i did it in paint(lol), but it was 15 coloured, and it looked fine to me :(

and yes i am planning on back sprites too!
but with the files you sent :P

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
Yeah, sorry about that, but some of the palette information was lost in the translation. The problem comes from the format that the sprites are saved in when using MSPaint. Any sprite is salvageable but there might be some info lost if you don't edit off the initial ripped sprites.
e: 2 Versions of Dragon/Grass Tropius
VTODo2Q.png

wFBNKSX.png

Since it isn't flying I removed the wings, changed some of the features to be more dragon-like, and replaced the bananas with... wait for it... DRAGONFRUIT *RIMSHOT*
e2: Version with bananas in tact
feF9Xyk.png

e3: Attempted Backsprite!
3O0e1fH.png

Last edited:

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
Alright it's still not quite right but it was easy enough to fix. I was able to match the colors and work it from there.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
That would be a sight to see! I'll put you down for Burmy but first lemme try to find the proper graphics for you to edit.
Meanwhile, this!
KuOmkDh.png

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
Then absolutely! You can start whenever you want! :D I hope we don't end up with too many grass types though ahaha.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
Works perfectly! I wish the top mouth have more of a dark vibe but the color scheme is good and I like how the fangs are kind of goofy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back