• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Hack of the Month] Voting - September 2010

HotM?

• Pokémon Palladium

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • Pokémon Top Secret

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Pokémon AshGray

Votes: 57 47.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Hack of the Month Voting - September 2010

h2-hotm.png

Introduction

You have until the first of October to vote for your Hack of the Month. The winner hack's thread will be stickied for a month, until the next month's winner is announced. The winner hack will also be added to PokéCommunity's official ROM Hacking Hall of Fame. Only hacks in either the Progressing Hacks forum or the Hacks Showcase forum are eligible for nomination.

Eligible Hacks

Rules

• You may vote once per month, per hack.
  • Asking or bribing others to vote for your hack is not allowed.
  • Creating new accounts to vote multiple times is not allowed and will be dealt with accordingly.
  • Voting is done via the poll not by posting in this thread, votes in the form of posts will not be counted.
  • Don't complain that your hack was not chosen this month.

Years
I didn't expect Ash Gray to be chosen. But I voted for it since I am more familiar with it and the game is a lot like the anime, more than other anime ROM Hacks I have seen. The scripting and hex editing is good too.

Years
Palladium gets my vote, hands-down.

It's decent all round, with relatively nice scripting, mapping and story alike. Shame it uses the overused Kyledove ROM Base, but that's not serious.

When it comes to Top Secret, I can't help but be distracted by that textbox. Furthermore, the story doesn't particularly do it for me and the grammar could be improved.

Ahh... AshGray. The mapping and graphics really turn me off on this one. It seems like it's just an abomination of the default tileset, unfortunately. The scripting is okay, I suppose, but nothing amazing. It seems to have a very large problem with text carrying on in the textbox, which could easily be fixed by using the Text Adjuster in XSE before compiling scripts with dialogue.

So yeah, Palladium.

Edit I thought it was obvious that this was my opinion. Nothing more.

Last edited:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Definitely AshGray. Although the maps and tiles are terrible, the scripting and events are good, and it's a very enjoyable hack.

Top secret is kinda glitchy when I first played it, and the sprites were really bad.

Palladium I really just can't get into and the tiles are really overused.

Good luck to all three though.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I voted for Ash Gray. I like the idea of following the anime, and it seems like it has the most effort put into it, with the custom tiles and all (even if they do like like they could be better). The title screen and text box kinda made me decide not to vote for Top Secret. I would've voted for Palladum but I don't like the fact he used a ROM Base. Patches for stuff like Jpan's engine are fine in my opinion (because even if you tried it's take a long time to do), but for tiles, it just shows you never bothered to learn properly (though I love the HP boxes :D ).

Not insulting anybody, just giving my opinion and criticism.

i make updates

Advanced Adventures Supporter
Years
  • Seen May 2, 2018
ashgrey gets mine its just more eyecatching to as the top secrets text boxs just change way to much and are distracting

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2015
Ash gray,this game is awesome.I like it because it is based on the anime.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
It's about time AshGray get's nominated. I vote for it because It's one of the best anime hacks I've ever played.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Palladium, by far, no questions asked.

Ash Grey just has way too many errors and it's ugly. The scripting is decent, but the negative outweighs the positive.

Top Secret, that text box is aaaaaa. I don't like the tiles much either, and it just doesn't really appeal to me.

Palladium, while having an overused rom base, is well executed, there is minimal errors, the mapping is well done (albeit the tiles), and therefore gets my vote.

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 24, 2014
I voted for AshGray becuase I like the idea of an anime-based hack.

Palladium, I found rather boring, The story is kinda dull, and the tiles are overused

Top Secret has great tiles, but it was too glitchy and difficult for me to get into.

SharpPoint

Suicune used Surf!
Years
It took me 2 minutes of playtime to realize Pokemon Top Secret needs way too much work to even belong in this contest. (No offense)

I have to go with Pokémon Palladium.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Oh you guys. Do you even try to compare hacks before you vote?

Palladium for me, same reasons as Spherical Ice.

pokeman rawr

>NoOB<
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2010
I liked AshGrey. Story line is good tiles are awesome.

Top secret...i liked the sprite for the trainer. but nuthing ealts

the other one eh...

I vote AshGray.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Well, I'm very honored to have my hack nominated.

For those who are criticizing the tiles, I understand (though most of the tiles are from the original FireRed) - the custom tiles aren't great (but I have heard nice things about the Poke Center) - I want to change the grass tiles and the hero backsprite still, and eventually change the gyms. But these have been some of my least concerns, as I'm more interested in content. Oh, and I know I'm not a great mapper, either.

As for people who say that scripting is decent, but nothing special - I just want to say that I busted my hump to make scripts that follow the anime episodes - I have so many complicated, time-consuming scripts in this game that I worked really hard on - it kind of feels like an insult to just call them decent - you have no idea how much work went into the Flame Pokemon-athon race, or to get all the events in Saffron to work in the correct order, etc.

Thank you for the nomination - honestly I had hoped to be nominated for Hack of the Month sometime, but did not expect it, so thank you and good luck to Palladium and Top Secret. :)

blue

gucci
Years
I vote for Pokemon Ash Grey - Simply because it's the only one i've played of the three and I really enjoyed it, great work and good luck everyone! :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back