• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your bully just died.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Osama Bin Laden =/= someone who committed indecent behavior toward you a few times in their life.
You missed the point entirely. The point is that death does not make someone a saint and you should not be expected to forgive all of their wrongs simply because they're dead. Sometimes bad people die. It doesn't make them not bad people. I won't go out of my way to speak ill of the dead, but I won't lie about my thoughts if questioned and I won't feel bad for maintaining a poor opinion of that person.

I think it's perfectly fine to mourn over the death of a fellow human being regardless of their actions; after all, they may not have been given the chance to learn from their actions and change. There are too many different factors to consider to give a straight answer on what one is expected to feel, but anyone experiencing bullying prior to their bully's death has every right to feel whatever they feel.
Bin Laden was a human, too. Not a very good one, but he still was.

outfox

in
Years
  • Seen Feb 25, 2013
You missed the point entirely. The point is that death does not make someone a saint and you should not be expected to forgive all of their wrongs simply because they're dead. Sometimes, bad people die. It doesn't make them not bad people. I won't go out of my way to speak ill of the dead, but I won't lie about my thoughts if questioned and I won't feel bad for maintaining a poor opinion of that person.

Bin Laden was a human, too. Not a very good one, but he still was.

I feel you, I understood. I only meant that a childhood bully is most likely less menacing than him, thus easier to forgive. If that makes sense. I never meant to exclude Bin Laden from being human, I should have made that more clear. I maintain my view that you have just as much of a right to feel that way and express it as someone else has a right to not harbor a grudge, even grieve if they feel like it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
You missed the point entirely. The point is that death does not make someone a saint and you should not be expected to forgive all of their wrongs simply because they're dead. Sometimes bad people die. It doesn't make them not bad people. I won't go out of my way to speak ill of the dead, but I won't lie about my thoughts if questioned and I won't feel bad for maintaining a poor opinion of that person.

You know, there are varying degrees of bad that a person can be, right? So according to your response, a bully is just as bad as Osama bin Laden.

Interesting.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
You know, there are varying degrees of bad that a person can be, right? So according to your response, a bully is just as bad as Osama bin Laden.

Interesting.
I have to wonder if you even read what you quoted, since I could pretty much copy it verbatim as a response to what you just said.

Whistler

Questioner
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2014
Well, if a bully of mine died, I'd feel sad for her if she never repented or anything. She may get a harsh afterlife judgement in that case... :/

I'd also feel bad for the bully's family, although I would feel relieved that I don't have to worry about a bully hurting my spirit. ;D

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
This, pretty much. Being dead does not suddenly absolve you from all the wrongs you committed. Pretending to care about someone's death when you don't is pointless. Be tasteful: don't go out of your way to talk poorly of the deceased, but you're under no obligation to speak well of them, either.

Agreed, and also, I would have mixed feelings if something like that happened, obviously I wouldn't celebrate their death because I don't think anyone deserves it, and I would sympathize with their family and friends, but I wouldn't be surprised either when I would catch myself feeling a hint of relief/satisfaction or whatever you want to call it, even though I would probably feel really bad about it.

Sir Codin

Someone who was a real jerk to me in middle school died before he graduated high school. I honestly don't think I cared that much. And it's not that I really hated the guy and wished him dead. Yeah, he was a real jerk, but he didn't bother me as much in high school, so I just didn't pay him any more mind. Then when he died, I was just "wow, he died? Pity for him, I guess."

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I wouldn't think it would be a good thing to feel happy about someone you know dying, even if they were a jerk

If it was a genuinely horrible person, such as a killer, I could understand being happy. A typical school bully is a far cry from a truly wicked person such as a neo-Nazi or a member of the Taliban. But still, it's wrong to laugh at people dying, even if they really deserve it.

Guy

just a guy
Years
A typical bully can range from your everyday tease to someone who goes out of their way to severely harm someone on a constant basis. I don't think anyone should ever wish death upon someone unless that person is someone like Hitler or Osama Bin Laden or even a free walking serial killer. Someone like a bully though? I think wishing death upon them is going too far. It's this train of thought that can at times lead to school shootings or students bringing weapons to school.

However, by no means should someone feel like they have to mourn over this person's death or are obligated to do so. If all the deceased ever did was bully someone and make them feel like their life isn't worth living, then that someone has the right to feel however they want to feel. I'm not saying they should go around parading the hallways publicly cheering "Hooray!" over this person's death, but they don't need to feel sorry for them either.

If it were me, I'd probably feel very indifferent over the situation. I wouldn't be terribly sad about it as that means I no longer have someone bullying me everyday, but I'm not going to feel typically overjoyed either, because it's still someone's life and I'm still human enough to care even a little.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Lets see. If a person who bullied me would die
Of course I cant say I would mourn deeply but I could feel sorry for his/her relatives and friends. I think that when people die their family/friends usualy have a much more positive aproach on the person. I mean that people often remember the good rather than the bad. Which is fine by me. But I think a person should be rememberred of what he/she was and for their deeds. Not for something they were not. And as for the Osama thing...bah...people die everyday, one persons death is newer such a spectacle that should be celebrated. No. Every death should be accepted as is. Without nation wide celebrations. It is human nature to be happy when a hated person dies...but that doesnt mean it is still right either. I am not taking a stand on the question did he deserve it. I just express how I think.

ChocolateCrunch

Not an old man. x]
Years
I wouldn't be ecstatic, nor would I be upset. I'd say something like, "Oh, we'll that's sad." And that's that. I mean I wouldn't act like nothing happened because that'd be cruel but death happens all the time to anyone. It can happen to anyone, anywhere and anytime - it's how life is.

Zero Percent

Loading... Please wait
Years
It would matter to me how he died. If he was murdered, I would probably wouldn't be happy at his his death but I'd want him to get justice. If he were to die by nature causes.. well, I'd be neutral I guess.

Back