• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] The Pokémon Trainer Academy (T) [Best Veteran 4Q '11]

Years
Holly quickly wiped her tears away,suddenly embarrassed. "Um-",she started to say,but she was interrupted by her Xtransceiver. "Hello?",she said while picking it up. She was greeted by the angry voice of he sister. "Holly Hannah-Marie Amarosa! Why did you hang up?!" "Um.... Amy,this isn't the best time." "And why is that?" She pointed her Xtransceiver towards Skye. "I was kind of talking to someone." Amy's face suddenly brightened up. "I-I don't believe this! You... made a friend?" "I just met him! Really!",Holly yelled. "Hmm.... tell me,boy what's your name?",she asked.

Molly just rolled her eyes. "You'd think after living with her for eleven years,you'd I'd understand her.,she thought. Lumina just jumped onto Holly's shoulder,not understanding what's happening. "Molly! Let's play!" "Not now. Maybe later.,she said still thinking. Lumina just pouted. "You're no fun.,she said.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Nika Valentine

She hadn't really expected Eve's Take Down to finish off the other Larvesta, but it would have been a pleasant turn of events nonetheless. She would need to finish this Larvesta off quickly now, she didn't have a single pokemon left that wouldn't be weak to Volca's fire type attacks.

With Eve finished her options were Spider, Sage, Parasect or Yanma. Parasect and Sage could be eliminated straight away - neither one were fast enough to potentially finish off Volca before suffering from a devastating strike. So, Spider or Yanma...

Calling Eve back to her pokeball Nika placed it inside her satchel and drew out the Dusk Ball again, trusting to her original decision. If speed was the issue now, this was her best choice. Opening the mottled green and black pokeball her pokemon shot out onto the battlefield, surrounded with sinister dark energy. As the pokemon emerged the energy faded, leaving visible a cheery looking Yanma buzzing in circles. It's bright red and green colouring and jolly nature seemed at odds with the entrance.

"Yanma. Supersonic."

The dragonfly pokemon began to beat its wings at a rapid rate, a low humming sound audible to the humans. To Volca however it would be a painful screech with the potential to confuse. Nika had been sorely tempted to end things with a Quick Attack - but what if that wasn't enough? The confusion provided by Supersonic could provide insurance.​

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skye

A Yanma. Oh dear. Well, this was horrendously awkward. Skye twitched slightly, feeling a mixture of amused and dismayed. Volca... was going to have way too much fun with this. Not a good idea. He glanced back at the X-Transceiver and nodded politely. "Skye," he introduced quickly, turning back to see his Larvesta be struck by Supersonic. The grub spun dizzily, looking around in a daze.

"Nuh-hice shot," he told Nika before nodding quietly, figuring it was best to call out orders for now. "Fluh-Flamethrower!" Volca heard this and obeyed. Not knowing where to fire at though, his five horns sent flames in many directions. He wasn't sure if one of these would hi the Yanma or not and quite frankly, didn't really want to worry about it. That would be considered when it got there.

Meanwhile Pala waddled up to Lumina. "Play?" She repeated. "Wanna play with me?"

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Nika Valentine

"Detect."

The Yanma's eyes flashed red for a moment, giving it an instinctual understanding of where the flamethrowers would strike. Weaving in and out of the columns of flame the Yanma seemed to find the whole thing incredibly amusing, laughing as it dodged Volca's attempts to hurt it.

They wouldn't be able to maintain this strategy for long, but hopefully either Volca would hurt itself while confused, or this boy would become frustrated and lose his cool. The distraction this annoying stranger and her pokemon were providing may help as well, leading to him making a poor decision that she could take advantage of. Unfortunately, if they took even one fire type attack they had no hope of possibly defeating the second pokemon.​

silverexorcist

Individualism in Normalcy!
Years
Aloin D'Argent

Aloin took a deep breath as stepped out from the entrances to one of the underground arenas, his large Hariyama following right behind him. He was surprised to see that the sun was bright above him, burning with light. It was day already? Impossible! Aloin quickly counted the hours backwards in his head. He'd started training sometime before the the sun had set the day before, which meant...
"I'm late for work." He sighed sheepishly. He glanced back at his Hariyama. "We completely lost track of the time and didn't get any sleep. Do you think we can get some leeway and take the day off?"
Hariyama looked at him for a long moment, its expression indicating irony. Aloin chuckled.
"Yes, I know. We only have ourselves to blame--fine, fine!" Aloin switched the from the plural as Hariyama palmed his face with one of its large hands. "I only have myself to blame, happy?"
Hariyama nodded its approval before pointing behind Aloin, indicating toward two trainers battling.
"Oh, morning practice, is it?" Aloin murmured as he adjusted his zuchetto back on his head properly. "And there's an obvious type advantage here. I wonder what the bug trainer will do...?"

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skye

Skye smiled, even as sweat dripped down his face. This was almost a horrible situation. However, it wasn't like Volca was particularly good at controlling himself when he wasn't confused. Watching the Yanma dodge gave him an idea. Weren't Yanma part flying anyway? Volca, having not been given an order, charged viciously only to trip and fall, slamming into the ground painfully. Skye winced but didn't falter. "Wuh-Wild Charge."

Volca heard this and winced, shutting his eyes and trying to drown out the painful screeching of Supersonic. Eventually he managed to focus, electricity sparking around his body. With a painful, disturbing cry, one Skye never wanted to hear again, the Larvesta leaped towards the rapidly moving Yanma.

It was laughing at him, he could see it. Laughing? No, you do not laugh during battle. You fight and you fight to the end. And in this case, even if it wasn't to him, you lose. Volca didn't care too much about wins or losses on a good day, but he did care about fights and this one was turning out boring and annoying. With another disturbing screech, he released more pillars of flame as he ran. No matter which way it dodged, even in his confusion, Volca intended to make whoever he was facing have to work his way through it.

Years
"Amy,I have to go.",Holly said while watching the battle. "OK,bye." She hung up,and then noticed a teacher watching the battle. "Holly,how are you feeling?",Molly asked. "Huh? I'm fine.",she said. Lumina looked down at the Cubchoo that was talking to her. No play. I'm sleepy.,she said. That's just like her. She wants to play one second and changes her mind the next.,Molly said. She floated down to the Cubchoo. "You'll have to play with Lumina later,little one. Lumina jumped down into Holly's arms and snuggled up to go to sleep. (I think Lumina's bipolar. XD.)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Nika Valentine

Finally!

This was the chance she had been waiting for all battle! Skye had failed to issue an order to his Larvesta, leading to the confused pokemon to hurt itself in a failed charge. This was precisely the opening they needed to take full advantage of Yanma's speed.

Between the cumulative effects of Yanma's high speed, the String Shot Volca had received from Eve at the very beginning of the battle and Yanma's ability Speed Boost - which increased Yanma's speed by amounts relative to the longer it spent in battle - it was now fast enough to dangerously out-strip Volca. Coupled with its failed attack this was exactly what Nika had been hoping to set up.

"Yanma, prepare Double Team, but wait to the last possible moment." She ordered while Volca was recovering from its trip and Skye issued his next command. Wild Charge? A Larvesta that knew Acrobatics, Psychic and Wild Charge? What kind of monster Larvesta was this? It held an impressive array of moves, but the problem was that it was an extremely offense focused pokemon. With no support moves, such as Yanma's Detect or Double Team, it allowed trainers like Nika to overcome firepower with strategy.

Yanma waited, buzzing in place, presenting a clear target for Volca to strike with its headlong charge. But just as it came near enough to be a danger Yanma seemed to split into multiple copies of itself, all buzzing around in different directions and presenting Volca with a variety of targets to strike. Several were burned away by the columns of flame Volca sent forth from its whorled horns, while two more vanished after being struck by Volca's electrically enhanced charge.

The true Yanma however had used the cover provided by its illusory copies to zoom around the outskirts of the battlefield, placing it to Volca's rear. Both pokemon now occupied their opposite positions - Yanma closest to Skye and Volca closest to Nika.

"Sonic Boom!" Nika called out, praying that Yanma would take advantage of its now considerable speed advantage to strike before Volca had time to react. The red and green bug-flying type lined itself up, determined to strike true for its trainer, and beat its wings with increased force. A blade of focused air blasted towards Volca that, if successful, would hit the grub pokemon like a sledgehammer.

Strength is important. But I must always remember the importance of the strength of the mind.

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skye

Skye would have been annoyed by the turn of events, except,well, it was Volca, who needed to be brought down a peg or two. His Pokemon team was mostly offensive but that was how he had been trained growing up. Ultimately, when Cameron taught him, he had advised him against support moves like the ones Nika had used, specifically with Volca, who in layman's terms could care less. Simply put, support moves were helpful, but he ultimately believed you needed to let your Pokemon rely on the abilities its body gave, instead of temporarily boosting it. And besides, Volca fought to kill not for sport. The last time Skye had tried teaching him a move like that he had gotten a burn all up the arm for his trouble. The same went for Rama but Pala and the others were likely more willing to go versatile, specifically Ellie.

But at the moment, that wasn't an option.

However, neither was giving away panic. So smile he did, as Volca got slammed. Fortunately, that got rid of confusion. Unfortunately, Volca was about to faint. So Skye relaxed. "Thuh-hanks," he told Nika brightly, giving Holly a cheerful look. "Vuh-holca neh-needed this fuh-fight." Now, watching Volca right himself one last time, he gave a low whistle. Volca didn't move, only sat patiently in front of Nika's feet. Then slowly he began to move forward toward his trainer. It was like the Yanma wasn't even there.

Skye smiled loosely.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Nika Valentine

Nika narrowed her eyes, suspicious of Skye's placid attitude towards this turn of events. He had thanked her for the battle thus far, and it seemed quite clear that Volca was just about finished, but he hadn't called the pokemon back to its pokeball. Instead he had whistled some kind of command that had started the Larvesta moving. Was it a strategy they had devised so she couldn't anticipate what their attack would be? Since Volca was still able to battle - just about - then they must be going for a similair approach she had used with Eve, one last attack to try and soften Yanma up for the boys next pokemon.

I'm not about to let that happen...

"You're very welcome. Sonic Boom."

Yanma tittered to himself and beat his wings hard once more, launching a second Sonic Boom attack to the slowly moving Larvesta. That would teach them for trying to lull her into a false sense of security.

To anyone else it would have been clear that Volca was finished for this round and just moving closer to his trainer, but for Nika who struggled to read people and assumed the worst it was impossible to fathom such an innoecent motive in the midst of battle.​

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skye

He watched the Yanma's wings curiously, noticing them beat faster and faster. Speed Boost was still going, pushing the Pokemon's speed up to its maximum limit. That was what happened with that ability. However, that also meant that... everything around it got slower and slower at least as far as he could tell. It made for a rather difficult way to fight. Hopefully that was true. If not, oh well. That just meant wing it.

"Vuh-holca hah-hates support moves," he commented softly. "He juh-juh-hust wants to -deh-destroy anything. So..." He trailed off before adding. "Ih-ih-hisn't theh-here wuh-one problem with speh-spe-speed? Reh-Reflexes?"

Just because your whole body had sped up didn't mean your reflexes and senses caught on.

As Volca had scuttled along, small flames had formed around three of his shifting horns, the objects pointed in a curve. Sonic Boom flew dangerously close, missing by a hair, but Volca didn't falter. Skye nodded, believing he had got it right. Close to Yanma, Skye whistled once more. Volca's blue eyes flickered and three of his horns spat a stream of fire to the right. He began to spin, creating a small tornado of fire around himself, which crept closer to Yanma as it grew.

Years
Jack Jacobs
Dorm Room

So his eyes were close, his head was resting on his most comfortable of pillows that the academy had to offer yet still Jack couldn't sleep a wink. At the end of the day maybe it was a bit too early to even be thinking about sleep, but in his current mental state all he wanted to do was just do nothing at all. The restlessness was unbearable and Jack soon found himself staring out the window looking at the students walking around and conversing with each other.

Jack had already jumped into bed without changing his clothes so when he decided to take a stroll outside. As he walked he tried to ignore where Danielle and the others were supposed to be not wanting to bring down the whole mood with his current state of mind. There was so much to see while just taking in the sights and as he spotted trainers battling what better way to put him asleep than watching a boring battle.

A Hariyama versus a Grovyle, Jack leaned against a tree and began to watch the battle, hoping for maybe a inch of excitement.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Nika Valentine

No! How could Yanma have missed at this critical juncture? There was no reason its accuracy should be dropping, Sonic Boom should have struck true. They had worked so hard to get this far without taking any damage and now it seemed all for nothing. There was only one chance.

"Detect." She commanded. If Yanma could detect the moves path and avoid it perfectly. Yanma's eyes once again flashed red, but flickered this time. Yanma set off with purpose, moving with great speed... directly through the flames.

"NO!" Nika screamed, displaying more emotion than she had the entire battle. The rage and fear was clear on her face as Yanma flew through the fire and out the other side, falling to the ground with a soft 'fhwump', badly burned and unconscious. The damage seemed to have been critical and taken Yanma out with a single hit.​

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skye

Skye's eyes flickered and he inwardly sighed in relief. I can't believe that worked so well... He had hoped it would fly over the flames, not realizing that there were two other horns ready to burn it but that was completely unexpected. The roaring tornado faded as Volca stopped firing, rooted to the spot. Unsurprisingly, he was also unconscious. Skye wiped sweat from his forehead and went to pick up his Bug-type. "Yuh-hou reh-really wih-will do eh-anythuh-thing to win," he told the unconscious Pokemon.

Now, after returning the grub to his Pokeball, Skye looked up at his opponent. Her face held anger and misery. The girl had had it in the bag, at least with Volca, in her eyes. However, she had been too focused on getting away from being damaged by Volca and not thinking of the second Pokemon. Pala, who looked away from Lumina sadly, waddled back to her trainer. Detect would have been useful against her... to a point. He patted the Cubchoo's head and held her in his arms.

Slowly he walked over, looking sympathetically at the Yanma. He pulled a healing item from his bag and gently sprayed it on the Pokemon without asking. "Guh-Good match," he said, looking up at her. "Yuh-You almost wuh-won." This was fact. He doubted Pala would have lasted that long. She was still too young to really fight.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Nika Valentine

How could this have happened? Yanma missed an attack he should have landed easily, and then Detect went as badly wrong as it possibly could have. She had been so close to clearing the hurdle that was Volca, but had fallen short. A crushing defeat.

Blocking out everything around her - Skye, Volca, even Yanma - she closed her eyes and took a steadying breath. Gradually she pushed her emotions back down, locked them away where they wouldn't embaress or endanger her. Her strictly controlled expression returned to her face and she opened her eyes, stepping forward.

"That's kind of you to say," she said, her voice once again politely neutral. "Though I was at a disadvantage from the start. I only train bug types, so your Larvesta was the worst possible opponent for me." With her left arm cradling the egg case and its precious cargo she used her left to take Yanma's Dusk Bull from her satchel and return the exhausted pokemon for a well deserved rest. "I'd like to apologise for my previous outburst. It was uncalled for, I normally like to try and be more professional than that."​

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skye

The boy shook his head modestly. "Yuh-hou luh-like Bug types," he commented. "Theh-There's nuh-nothing wruh-wrong with knuh-knowing uh-honly whuh-what you luh-like. Vuh-Volca ih-his an uh-unusual eh-eh-henemy anyhow." He smiled. "Heh-he's ah-an idiot whuh-ho charges headfuh-first without luh-luh-looking back."

Pala called out gently. "My turn, my turn!" Skye shook his head and patted her on the ears. She stuck out his tongue at him, something she had to have learned from his Zorua. Rama remained calmly by Holly, occasionally scratching one ear.

Skye gave Nika a cheerful smile. "Duh-Don't wuh-worry. Ih-Ih-It's normal for truh-trainers to wuh-horry about theh-their pah-partners a-hand their fuh-fights." He held out a hand. "Leh-Let's duh-do it again suh-sometime."

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
Nika Valentine

"Certainly," she nodded and, after depositing the Dusk Ball in her satchel, shook Skye by the hand. "I look forward to a re-match. Perhaps by then I'll have a new addition to my team to test you with." She said, referencing the egg she carried with her.

"In the meantime however, I think you have an admirer." Nika nodded towards the girl who had interrupted their battle. "Best not to keep her waiting or she might try and disrupt our handshake."

Let him handle the little nutjob... I need to think seriously about this loss.

Fuyu

Years
  • Age 29
  • Home
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Skye

Skye smiled at Nika. "I luh-look fuh-forward to it." At the reminder about the other girl, he shook his head. "Duh-hon't thuh-think eh-either of uh-hus neh-need more buh-hurns." Pala squealed at this. No one would burn Skye while she was around. Absolutely no-body! "Guh-good evening." He released Nika's hand and walked away, heading back toward Holly and Rama with an easygoing smile. Rama barked at him as he returned, sitting up and stretching.

"That took too long," he commented playfully and Skye snorted. Volca would be unconscious for sure tonight, thankfully. That meant they all could rest easy. The fox snickered at his own words before glancing irritably back over at Holly and the girl. What dorm was this chick in and why wasn't she there at this late hour? He wanted to know so he could to sleep.

Skye wondered as well but was more polite about it. "Heh-hey, pah-pardon meh-me for ah-asking buh-hut what duh-dorm are you ih-in?"

silverexorcist

Individualism in Normalcy!
Years
Aloin

Aloin smiled softly as he observed Nika's expression. The frustration of defeat was not something easy to conceal. He knew how to spot it a mile away, no matter how hard someone tried to hide it. Even the best of the best felt the feeling--no, the best of the best especially knew the feeling, like a best friend who motivated them all the way to where they stand. Throughout a person's youth, they try to avoid losing as much as possible and hate the sensation. It's ironic, Aloin chuckled to himself, that it was the very thing that they pushed away that would shape them into adults.

Oh god, looking at it that way made him feel old. He was still young enough to be on a journey--he didn't need to be acting like he was some fifty year old veteran. People would think he was some sort of creep.

"You shouldn't brood over it too much." Aloin said as he put a comforting hand on Nika's shoulder, surprising her. "You did well, despite having a type disadvantage. A very clever tactic, I'll go as far as to admit. Did you make it up on the spot?"

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Lucia Francisco Bernavard
Lucia looked over at Danielle and looked at Roberto. "Oh. No. He's just... protective." She said softly before turning back to Danielle and giving a weak smile. "It's a long story. And very boring I might add. You wouldn't like to hear it." She said as she began to eat once more. A idea suddenly popped into her head, "Oh!" She grabbed Samuel's pokeball and released the Absol. "Samuel, go and let Roberto have some rest."

The Absol gave a curt nod as he walked toward the bug, "Hey, stare any longer and you're eyes will pop out. Go on, lie down. Rest your legs." The Scizor didn't budge. "Fine! I will stay here as well, and if you do go after him, I'll stop you." Roberto gave him a quick glare before he returned to staring at the Sableye. Samuel walked up to Snype, "Snype... I only say this now. Don't leave this table alone. If you value your life... stay in someone's sight. Always." He whispered softly to him.

Back