• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen But... why Nintendo DS?

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
What I really want to know is Why? Nintendo Why?
Why did you develop Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 for the Nintendo DS and not the Nintendo 3DS

Ok I Understand that its theoretically a Split 3rd Version and should technically be on the same system as the First Versions But If they had developed them for the 3DS then the graphics could have been far more enchanced in terms of Graphics

so disucss why you think they were developed for the Nintendo DS and not the Nintendo 3DS

Years
The main reason they made B2/W2 for the DS instead of 3DS was to ensure compatibility with Black and White since you can trade and battle with those games.

3DS games are specially made with a thicker cartridge that cannot be inserted into the regular DS, and if you made B/W for DS and B2/W2 with 3DS the games would not work with each other and also the Poke Transfer would not work given it requires a second DS with a 4th Generation game.

So yeah, that's the main reason why the games were not made specially for 3DS, and DS games can be played on a 3DS anyway.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
The main reason they made B2/W2 for the DS instead of 3DS was to ensure compatibility with Black and White since you can trade and battle with those games.

3DS games are specially made with a thicker cartridge that cannot be inserted into the regular DS, and if you made B/W for DS and B2/W2 with 3DS the games would not work with each other and also the Poke Transfer would not work given it requires a second DS with a 4th Generation game.

So yeah, that's the main reason why the games were not made specially for 3DS, and DS games can be played on a 3DS anyway.

Nintendo would be able to work out a way to do it
They would be compatible as long as the data structure stayed the same and all the changed was the Graphics

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Gamefreak made it for the DS. Nintendo published it. Nintendo only makes Mario games first hand. Every other game is credited to the actual development company.

As for why, Gamefreak sped up its creation to make sure they got it out for the DS with its predecessor so that all Gen 5 games were for the same console.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Gamefreak made it for the DS. Nintendo published it. Nintendo only makes Mario games first hand. Every other game is credited to the actual development company.

As for why, Gamefreak sped up its creation to make sure they got it out for the DS with its predecessor so that all Gen 5 games were for the same console.

Good Point

I Understand why Pokemon BW was On Nintendo DS Because they were In development before 2008
I Remember reading somewhere they were in Development Before Platinum Correct me if Im wrong though

But B2W2 Could have truly been Far more Enhanced if Game Freak had developed them for the Nintendo 3DS

@Hiroshi I Just Noticed you Live in Australia
We Have the Same Region 3DS (That is if you have a 3DS?)

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Making a game and pigeonholing the enormous fan base into buying a handheld (that gives almost no benefit from its predecessor) would never go over well. It wouldn't make much sense from a developmental or business viewpoint. Before BW2 was even released internationally, it had sold about 80% of what the top 3DS game sold worldwide in Japan alone.

Also, the game was made by Gamefreak. Nintendo develops the platforms and publishes then distributes games.

and all of my points were ninjad while I was typing this oops

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
Years
They would lose a lot more sales if they made it a 3DS exclusive, you can still play a regular DS game on a 3DS, but not the other way around. Not to mention that would mean they could not recycle most of the original b/w. The only reason they would of made it a 3DS game and not just a DS game that can be run on any DS system is if they needed to push more sales for the 3DS.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Before BW2 was even released internationally, it had sold about 80% of what the top 3DS game sold worldwide in Japan alone.

Yes but The DS Black and White 2 Could still have used 3D Graphics like Dragon Quest Then to really push it to its Limits as this will probably be the final Nintendo DS Game ever made (Commercially anyway)

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
They would lose a lot more sales if they made it a 3DS exclusive, you can still play a regular DS game on a 3DS, but not the other way around. Not to mention that would mean they could not recycle most of the original b/w. The only reason they would of made it a 3DS game and not just a DS game that can be run on any DS system is if they needed to push more sales for the 3DS.

Nintendo as a Franchise does this on a nearly yearly basis. No they wouldn't lose money as the fans would go out and buy the new consoles to play the new games. Gamefreak being a part of Nintendo could have made Gen 5 on the 3DS while it was still new as all the Mario games did an immediate switch to the 3DS as well as other big name titles and people went out to buy 3DS' for those titles. Pokemon isn't an exception to this.

We have the Wii U out now so almost all Wii game production has halted. Almost all the games coming out will be for the Wii U and the 3DS has started a full switch. Production of DS games is either over or slowing to a standstill and production of the handhelds and the original Wiis have pretty much stopped.

That's how Nintendo as a company has done business since its inception.

Gamefreak, since they did not want to move to the larger consoles at the time of B/W's conception continued to make games for the DS. B2W2 were rushed because there was a deadline to make DS games that they wanted to meet.

Nintendo will continue to make newer consoles as time passes and every time there will be a forced switch over either right after creation (home consoles) or a few years down the line (Handhelds). Development companies have to produce for the next big thing or rush their work to get it out on the latest console before it bellies up.

Yes but The DS Black and White 2 Could still have used 3D Graphics like Dragon Quest Then to really push it to its Limits as this will probably be the final Nintendo DS Game ever made (Commercially anyway)

No actually Gamefreak does not want to move out of sprites. They've actually made these comments many times. Junichi Matsuda and Mr. Unno were questioned about making "3D" Pokemon images for Home Consoles, and the answer to both was "We don't want to." They admit it would be nice, but it took away from the meaning of the games and the core reason for them. The current directors do not want to use 3D renders in place of sprites and prefer using sprites. They also do not like the idea of making a home console game as the Pokemon games are meant to be taken with you as you travel hence the name Pocket Monsters.

Will we get either of these? They said sometime in the distant future, yes, maybe. Do they want to do this? NOPE!

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
I have a 3DS - it's not the same region.

I disagree to these points. The 3DS is the current generation handheld system, so of course Nintendo would be pushing for games to be developed on it. Given the steady rise in sales of 3DS consoles, Pokémon could definitely give the 3DS some extra (and at the time of Japanese release, needed) sales momentum.

Given the sales rate of Animal Crossing, there's no better time to get to releasing a Pokémon game to ride the 3DS sales momentum. And really? People who want Pokémon and don't have a 3DS? They'll get one. As we type messages back and forth, the folks at GameFreak are inevitably midway in the development of a 3DS Pokémon title. Obviously it wasn't going to be Black 2 and White 2.

And anyway Most Likely a Pokemon Title May have been In development from the start of the 3DS LifeSpan
Just they Haven't told us anything because it would ruin the surprise

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
If I recall correctly, Game Freak was highlighted as one of the first-priority companies to receive the 3DS development kits during late 2009 (or even earlier than that). Either way, we know that Game Freak has probably been working on a 3DS Pokémon engine for a while, and are perfecting it to the best of their ability.

Pokémon Black & White were on the DS because they began developing it before they even knew about the 3DS. Remember the "C-Gear took 4 years to develop" quote? Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 were still on the DS because it would allow a shorter development cycle.

Game Freak has confirmed before that they don't just work on things when they want to make a new game, they're always designing new Pokémon, new features, etc., and they decide whether they want to use it in a Pokémon game or not.

One thing about Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 though, is that it is the last Nintendo-published game for the DS (correct me if I'm wrong), and because it is a late DS-game, it happens to do a great job at showing off all of the power that the original 2004 DS Phat could do. There's always been that late game in the console's lifespan that pushes it to its limits: for NES it was Kirby's Adventure, for SNES its arguably Yoshi's Island or DKC3, idk for N64, for Gamecube it was Twilight Princess, idk for Wii (Skyward Sword maybe?), for the original Game Boy it was Pokémon Gold & Silver (even though they are marketed as GBC games, they are technically black-cartridge GB games that can still be played on the original Game Boy), for the Game Boy Advance it was Drill Dozer, and for the Nintendo DS it's Pokémon Black 2 & White 2.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
If I recall correctly, Game Freak was highlighted as one of the first-priority companies to receive the 3DS development kits during late 2009 (or even earlier than that). Either way, we know that Game Freak has probably been working on a 3DS Pokémon engine for a while, and are perfecting it to the best of their ability.

Pokémon Black & White were on the DS because they began developing it before they even knew about the 3DS. Remember the "C-Gear took 4 years to develop" quote? Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 were still on the DS because it would allow a shorter development cycle.

Game Freak has confirmed before that they don't just work on things when they want to make a new game, they're always designing new Pokémon, new features, etc., and they decide whether they want to use it in a Pokémon game or not.

One thing about Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 though, is that it is the last Nintendo-published game for the DS (correct me if I'm wrong), and because it is a late DS-game, it happens to do a great job at showing off all of the power that the original 2004 DS Phat could do. There's always been that late game in the console's lifespan that pushes it to its limits: for NES it was Kirby's Adventure, for SNES its arguably Yoshi's Island or DKC3, idk for N64, for Gamecube it was Twilight Princess, idk for Wii (Skyward Sword maybe?), for the original Game Boy it was Pokémon Gold & Silver (even though they are marketed as GBC games, they are technically black-cartridge GB games that can still be played on the original Game Boy), for the Game Boy Advance it was Drill Dozer, and for the Nintendo DS it's Pokémon Black 2 & White 2.

And for Something Like PS2... God knows how that went on for so long

EDIT: But thats getting off topic

I Have a Feeling that A Pokemon Game will be a Final Library Game for the 3DS

EDIT2: Perhaps we may even see Gen VII On the 3DS Also (Wouldn't be surprised)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I Have a Feeling that A Pokemon Game will be a Final Library Game for the 3DS

EDIT2: Perhaps we may even see Gen VII On the 3DS Also (Wouldn't be surprised)
lol Generation VI, Pokémon Paper and Pokémon Scissors, coming out September 2014, still on DS. Then there will be Pokémon Paper 2 & Scissors 2 in 2015, but can only be played on DSi and later. Then finally Pokémon Rock will come out on April 33rd 2016, on iOS.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
lol Generation VI, Pokémon Paper and Pokémon Scissors, coming out September 2014, still on DS. Then there will be Pokémon Paper 2 & Scissors 2 in 2015, but can only be played on DSi and later. Then finally Pokémon Rock will come out on April 33rd 2016, on iOS.

Lolz

Then in 2022 When the 4DS is like 6 Years Into Life Span (Probably not that but whatever)

Pokemon Glass and Pokemon Sand Versions on the 3DS

But anyway Back On Topic again (Just though that was kinda funny)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I'm pretty sure this is the last Pokemon game for the DS, sadly as I don't think Pokemon can pull off 3D well. (the 3dPMD looks... "chunky" and not as good as the older ones imo).

Weren't people thinking this when there was a switch from the Gameboys to the DS? If you don't buy this system, you can't play, ever again? All systems are put out eventually, I guess it's the DS's time. =/

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
I'm pretty sure this is the last Pokemon game for the DS, sadly as I don't think Pokemon can pull off 3D well. (the 3dPMD looks... "chunky" and not as good as the older ones imo).

Weren't people thinking this when there was a switch from the Gameboys to the DS? If you don't buy this system, you can't play, ever again? All systems are put out eventually, I guess it's the DS's time. =/

:o That gives me an Idea Lol

And My Idea is Complete: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=293936
R.I.P NDS 04-12

Last edited:

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Making a game and pigeonholing the enormous fan base into buying a handheld (that gives almost no benefit from its predecessor) would never go over well. It wouldn't make much sense from a developmental or business viewpoint. Before BW2 was even released internationally, it had sold about 80% of what the top 3DS game sold worldwide in Japan alone.

Also, the game was made by Gamefreak. Nintendo develops the platforms and publishes then distributes games.

and all of my points were ninjad while I was typing this oops

Say that to Apple, with the new iPhone 5. Thankfully, I was never an Apple fan, so I never suffered the injustice of complete incompatibility with an already completely incompatible product.

So, now that that's out of the way, I think they should have done what other games do, released it on different systems, give them a choice. Better graphics for those who have a 3DS, or lower quality for those who have a regular DS/DSi.

blue

gucci
Years
Why would they develop a sequel to games that were originally on the DS? That would prevent those who don't own a 3DS from following up the story in the sequel, if they're both on the same console everyone who played Black & White can also play Black & White 2.

Years

Honestly, I don't really doubt this quote at all. For 6 years, Game Freak has released games to the DS platform for Pokémon (that is, the mainstream Pokémon games). And as technology evolves, game development has to as well.

I remember getting my first DS in 2006, and I was just lucky that Diamond and Pearl came out in 2007. I also still have yet to get a 3DS, and with the slowing of DS game production, I am bound to get either a 3DS or 3DS XL this year.

Back