• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
018.gif

I loved the animation done on Pidgeots Emerald Sprite. The animation made it look like it was serious about winning a battle.

Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
Has anyone ever noticed how over the span of all the Pokemon Games for handhelds, it seems like Snorlax has just been trying to stand up? (Google if you need examples)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Yep. And I just think it might stand up for X&Y's models. From lying down flat to sitting in 4 Gens. He's quite the active guy!

Years
Yep. And I just think it might stand up for X&Y's models. From lying down flat to sitting in 4 Gens. He's quite the active guy!

Snorlax was still shown sitting down when it was depicted in an X & Y trailer in the Pokemon-Amie segment. But still I'm hoping it stands up in battle, now that would be cool!

Years
018.gif

I loved the animation done on Pidgeots Emerald Sprite. The animation made it look like it was serious about winning a battle.

I honestly think this is the most dynamic sprite animation out of all of them-- well I don't know all of them by memory but when I played through generations, this was the best I've ever seen. Sad to see these gone.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I honestly think this is the most dynamic sprite animation out of all of them-- well I don't know all of them by memory but when I played through generations, this was the best I've ever seen. Sad to see these gone.

I know. And in Emerald we couldn't get any Pidgey in the wild... Seems like a lot of wasted potential. I feel that the two-frame thing was really thought out in the older games. True, animations in BW are cool, but they don't show dynamic poses like this Pidgeot did.

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
Snorlax was still shown sitting down when it was depicted in an X & Y trailer in the Pokemon-Amie segment. But still I'm hoping it stands up in battle, now that would be cool!

I think Snorlax stood up in Stadium 2 when it did Punch moves.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
i am of the opinion that most sprite nowadays are conservative and uninspiring, they look shiny and pretty all but thats it. RGBY sprites have the oldschool pre-00s feel that you will never see again
1379726218703.png
its fake but the cariculture-ish design gives the new pokemon an interesting take

Years
i am of the opinion that most sprite nowadays are conservative and uninspiring, they look shiny and pretty all but thats it. RGBY sprites have the oldschool pre-00s feel that you will never see again
Spoiler:
its fake but the cariculture-ish design gives the new pokemon an interesting take

I wrapped a spoiler tag around the image because it's quite big, but yeah I came across that piece of art once on DeviantArt I think. That person must be a really talented artist if they were able to make 1st Gen-style sprites of all the non-1st Gen Pokemon. Looking back on the past generation sprites, I do say these would look weird and off-model in comparison to today's sprites, and the 3D models we'll be getting in X and Y.

018.gif

Yeah I loved how awesome that animation was, it was sad that some sprites in that game had such cool poses or animations yet the Pokemon in question couldn't be obtained without aid of a link cable or some form of trading.

yungdialysis

shoutout to britney spears
Years
Original pokemon sprites, what do you think?

Okay so i got this idea i wanted to discuss with you.

What if they could make every sprite original? With that i mean for example that bulbasaurs spots are different in every sprite or that one scyther has a little bit of a lighter green than the other one. So that you would bond more with your pokemon and you have your'e own original pokemon. It looks just a little annoying when someone has the same pokemon they look like exact copies of each other, and i'm a game programmer myself and i know it's not very difficult to randomify how the sprite will look like. I hope this will happen in the future. By the way, this is no complain to the sprites but it's just an idea what (i think) would make the pokemon games more fun.

What do you think? Throw your opinion or whatever you have to say down below.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
That would have been too much works and I figures it might make the internal battery dies off fast; But who knows with the technology getting better and better?

It would be cool to have different-looking-same-species, still, I will stick with same ones since I don't think we will have time to ogle at each other's Pokemon during a fight.

Personally, I also think it will reduce the chance of the Pokemon's value in trading as some people might not like the colour/ pattern etc.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
They're doing a better job of this with like Flabebe, and the one dog-grooming Pokemon that I can't remember. And Spinda already is like this. I'd be all for it, but as mentioned, complications can arise that could be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
That'd be great! Personally I think it kinda would make Spinda worthless, but that's a worthy sacrifice if all other Pokémon could be unique!

Nice idea
hug.gif

Years
*bumpy bump*

Yeah I do admit Game Freak really did a good job to make those 3D Pokemon models turn out so sleek, they really made some Pokemon cool with those extra animations they gave them, like Greninja's ninja pose when performing certain moves (seriously it has some of the best animations this gen) and also Klefki dropping its keys when it faints. I love what you did there Game Freak.

Also, however it made some Pokemon look a bit more weird, like Stunfisk:

618.png

God Game Freak why did you make this thing so flat? It didn't look flat in its 5th Gen sprite so I was alright with that, but here it's quite hard to see its face. So now that the games have been out for a while now, what's everyone's thoughts on the 3D models in X/Y? Maybe even tell us which Pokemon models were your faves and why.

Years
Hitmontop's "dancing" is very hypnotic... it's also weird to see him not "standing" on its horn thing, though for that reason it's one of my favorite XY sprites.

hitmontop.gif

Years
Hitmontop's "dancing" is very hypnotic... it's also weird to see him not "standing" on its horn thing, though for that reason it's one of my favorite XY sprites.

hitmontop.gif

I love how Hitmontop is actually standing up properly now and not just balancing on its head, but if you think some animations in the game are crazy, take a look at Spinda..

tumblr_mxrjwxN5e01rra83ao3_250.gif

OMG it looks so drunk!

Back