• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do PokéDex entries vary by game???

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Maybe since it's a different professor in each region, that's why they have different studies and therefore data in the dex, as to why remakes don't share the same as their former game or versions is questionable game-wise but irl it's probably what Volcanix said and so we know more about the pokemon.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2014
I think because they have better understanding of the habitat, personality, and abilities of the pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Probably because of the difference in the regions and the prof but maybe also because people would get bored reading the same old stuff.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I see someone hasn't been reading up on Eevee or Nidoran Male's Pokedex entries, then. There's probably another Pokemon who's info hasn't changed much or at all since it was introduced. Getting boring indeed.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
Think of the Pokedex for each game/region as various dictionaries written by different authors or publishers. Not all dictionaries contain the same words and definitions. I think the theory of Pokemon Professors having different study habits and different descriptive skills is a plausible one.

Relying on one source for information isn't always a good thing either. To have multiple sources in order to backup your discoveries is very important.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Like real life living creatures, Pokemon researches have different discoveries. And many discoveries might bring more understanding too. That's why Pokedex entries are different in each game imo.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Different Pokedex are made by different professors and different professors means different form of observation. So the things they discover by observing the Pokemon will also differ from the other professors since they observe the Pokemon differently.

Try doing a drinking game for each time I typed different in that post

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
There's also the theory that a part of the Pokedex entry is written by the player, and since every game has a different player, it's just further explaining why the entries vary.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
Different Pokedex are made by different professors and different professors means different form of observation. So the things they discover by observing the Pokemon will also differ from the other professors since they observe the Pokemon differently.

Try doing a drinking game for each time I typed different in that post

But you only said different 4 different times (3 if you don't count the "differently")

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'm guessing that GameFreak wanted to show more information about a Pokémon by spreading its known characteristics throughout games.

Back