• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Main Characters names

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Since the old thread died I decided to make a new one to speculate the names of the characters.
What do you think will be their names? Xander for the boy and Yasmin for the girl? Xavier for the boy and Yuna for the girl? or something totally different?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Maybe they will go with more european and maybe french names. Xavier could be for the Boy while the Girl can be something like Yvonne.

Years
Hilda and Hilbert don't seem like mainstream American names, nor were the Japanese region based characters given Japanese sounding names in translation, so I sort of doubt that they'll be European.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
Hilda and Hilbert don't seem like mainstream American names, nor were the Japanese region based characters given Japanese sounding names in translation, so I sort of doubt that they'll be European.
In the case of Hilda and Hilbert, supposedly those were meant to be English-variant translations of the B/W characters' names: Tōko and Tōya, respectively. Since "tō" means "to fight" in Japanese, the English versions were given those respective names because "hild" is a Germanic word for "battle". Much like how the D/P characters Dawn and Lucas were names for "light" because their Japanese names meant the same thing.

So, whatever the root word is for X and Y's two main characters in Japanese, you can be sure that the English names will go with a similar meaning. ;)

Years
Nathan sounds too much like Nate...considering how people are comparing the main character of these games with Nate I'll rather they not name him Nathan...as Nate can be short for Nathan thus people will think that Gf isn't being original with the male in both looks and name...

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Nathan sounds too much like Nate...considering how people are comparing the main character of these games with Nate I'll rather they not name him Nathan...as Nate can be short for Nathan thus people will think that Gf isn't being original with the male in both looks and name...
I didn't see that. However, from the same list, both Leo and Lea are high. Thoughts?

Cyclone

Years
I love those two name :)
How about Rudolph, and Avia...Rudolph isn't a good name I know...just trying to think of names that may match the mascots, not like any of the other's we've had did beyond Red, and Leaf, which were named after their version names as well (except for the optional names of the characters of RS, which were Landon, and Sean irc.)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
We'll probably get names like Xavier (#439 boys) and Yasmine (#64 girls).

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I agree. I wouldn't mind Yasmin. In terms of a character name it'd actually be something nice for once, and would make me less want to change my name in-game. XD; Plus if other characters refer to her (if you're playing the dude) then for once actually A NORMAL name. :x

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Just did some Bulbapedia research, They tend to keep articles for every single character in the anime, and I don't see Xavier or Yasmine used (or Leo/Lea per the earlier post, except Leo is a Japanese name for a main character, so not likely to happen).

What other names beginning with X and Y do we think may get used? Xavier is almost a gimme if they use this theme, but any other Y names that might work for a female, or even a second male? Truth be told, it will be a female to join Ash in the anime, NEway.

Cyclone

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
They don't have to begin with X and Y ya know.
Look at past protagonists, the only ones with names matching the titles are red and leaf, everyone else has a name that doesn't match the Titles at all.
So if anything, the heroes names will not begin with X and Y, not only is it too restricting, but it's not even a tradition, they'll most likely have names that have a theme to them.
For instance, Ethan and Lyra's names are themed on music
Lucas and Dawn are themed on daylight
Hilbert and Hilda are themed on battle
Nate and Rosa are wordplay, creating the word Resonate

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
They don't have to begin with X and Y ya know.
Look at past protagonists, the only ones with names matching the titles are red and leaf, everyone else has a name that doesn't match the Titles at all.
So if anything, the heroes names will not begin with X and Y, not only is it too restricting, but it's not even a tradition, they'll most likely have names that have a theme to them.
For instance, Ethan and Lyra's names are themed on music
Lucas and Dawn are themed on daylight
Hilbert and Hilda are themed on battle
Nate and Rosa are wordplay, creating the word Resonate
Call it a hunch. What else can a genetics theme lead to?

Cyclone

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Amino acids, the DNA structure, molecules, Pikachurin (;P), stem cells, electrons, nuclei, quite a lot of things really, not just x and y chromosomes :P
The periodic table? Here are our main characters, Hydro and Oxygo. :P

Cyclone

tnfsf11

I believe the female will begin with X (the gender chromosome, if 2 of it existed in a zygote then it will be female).
And ofc the male will begin with Y (the gender chromosome, if 1 of it existed in a zygote then it will be male).
Makes sense, Non?

For those who don't get it...
Spoiler:

Back