• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "Mirror mirror on the wall, who was the easiest Gym Leader of them all?"

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
In a somewhat opposing thread to that of the hardest gym leader in the HGSS series, this question targets the Gym Leader(s) that you felt were the easiest to defeat in battle acorss both series of games. (DPPt and HGSS).

Was it Janine? Or perhaps Erika? Maybe Fawkner's pidgey were feeble opponents? What about Gardenia? Did her roselia put up a fight, or did Maylene prove to be the easiest to punch? Did the experience fighting these gyms suffer consequently? Did you find the boring, and not worth your time? Would you have prefered a stronger computerised opponent, or do you think that your team was the leading factor of the easy battle between the two of you?

For me, I always found Fawkner, Pryce, Janine, Erika and Brock to be extremely easy to defeat. I suppose the reason why Erika and Brock were so easy, was because of my highly levelled team at that point in HGSS. my fire type and water types were at a high enough level to easily sweep their teams - which they did. Fawkners pokemon, were quite weak at that stage (naturally), and so were mine, but I alwaus felt, that his were just, a bit too weak. And Pryce, I found surprisingly easy, especially for an ice type gym leader who I found extreme trouble with in DPPt, Candice.

Years
Gardenia is just literally a pushover if you start with Chimchar like I always do (cos I love monkeys) cos you can literally burn through her whole team.

I mean, she was way too easy for me.

As for HG/SS I beat Jasmine using only my Typhlosion. I mean, she was literally that easy.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
I always thought Brock was very easy. By the time I got in Pewter City in SoulSilver I had an overleveled Feraligatr with Dragon Dance and Waterfall. I ended up one-shotting everything he threw at me. The Kanto Gym Leaders were all pretty easy to defeat in general in my opinion.

Years
Roark was way too easy for me in Platinum, as I already had a level 20 Prinplup by then, and I just Bubblebeamed my way through his entire gym.

Much like that, I destroyed Bugsy's team with my Quilava's Flame Wheel. I also found Whitney quite easy, as long as you put Miltank to sleep (although it did have a Lum berry, the battle was nowhere near as difficult as so many find it).

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
In D/P/Pt, Roark was easy when Turtwig and Piplup were my starters. Gardenia was easy too when I went with Chimchar.

But seriously, Byron was the easiest regardless of what starter I picked. At least one of his Pokemon was weak to any of the 3 starters.

In HG/SS, I'm going with Jasmine (because I went with Totodile and Cyndaquil in separate playthroughs).

iLoveHate

Hmmmmmm.... :D
Years
Roark and Brock, Stone pokemon do have a lot of weaknesses. if you chose water-pokemon on start it is sooo easy ^^

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Crasher Wake = easiest gym leader ever. I killed his team without even being damaged. I used Rotom (before I replaced it with Scizor) and Torterra and it was easy.

Roark, Byron, Volkner were incredibly easy too. Btw my team is the one in my signature

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
The easiest gym leader for me in DPPt was Roark because I ALWAYS chose Piplup.
In HGSS it was probably Brock. Again, because I always chose the water type.
Roark and Brock, Stone pokemon do have a lot of weaknesses. if you chose water-pokemon on start it is sooo easy ^^
Agreed with these guys. Teams that consist primarily of Rock/Ground are asking for trouble.

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 19, 2013
In Platinum, it is Crasher Wake. I always start with Turtwig because I hate Empoleon and Infernape is okay, and I could sweep his team with my Torterra and Luxray.

Ice Car

Banned
Years
Roark is a joke. No matter what you choose his team will easily be sweeped every time. Water and Grass are super effective against Rock and Chimchar gets Mach Punch when it becomes Monferno, at level 14.

Gardenia might be a pushover if you have Monferno, but if you have any of the other two starters and nothing good on it, like I did one time, she's annoying to defeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I know there's 3 whole regions worth of leaders to choose from here, but I'm going with Erika. She's always extremely easy and HG was no exception to this; her gym is almost a joke :p She's just incredibly easy to defeat and didn't really pose any challenge at all, so she's definitely the easiest in my opinion. Roark and Jasmine were also pretty easy, but not as easy as Erika :3

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Definitely Roark for me. I mean, no matter which starter you choose, you'll always have an advantage over him, granted you evolve Chimchar before facing him, since it learns Mach punch which will just take down his team very easily. Gardenia was also pretty easy, as long as you chose Chimchar, though both of those are early gym leaders, so it's kinda given that they'd be easy to beat.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
Platinum:
Roark
Gardenia(Roserade was tough, not enough for me to have a rematch)
Byron(half my team ended up having an advantage by that point)
Candice(Froslass ability and double was very annoying, but overall no rematch)
Volkner(why do the final gym leaders tend to be underwhelming?)

SoulSilver:
Falkner
Jasmine(I ended up having Vulpix and my Tototdile had become Feraligatr by that point)

It's so funny how the Johto gym leaders were easy in the original games, but most of them can give the Elite Four a run for their money in the remakes.

Kanto:
Erika
Janine
Brock(the only gym leader I ever fought whose entire team is full of double weaknesses and unlike Lance, they're common and dragon types are just plain on a whole different level than rock types)

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Roark seriously,is the easiest gym leader ever in the history of easy gym leaders. Your starter could easily dominate his team with either, a strong Razor Leaf,Bubble or Mach Punch. He's hardly any challenge.

I found Falkner easy too, even though his Pidgeotto spammed the heck out of Sand Attack and Roost. Erika wasn't really a challenge either, her Pokemon were incinerated by the power of my Arcanine :3.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Agreed with these guys. Teams that consist primarily of Rock/Ground are asking for trouble.

Perhaps that's why three out of five regions have a rock type gym as their first? If we look to this generation specifically we've had two out of the three playable regions have a rock type gym as their first gym. (If we disregard the fact that the order in which we are able to challenge the Kanto Gyms in HGSS can vary.)

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Roark and Wake in DPPT for me because I always choose Turtwig.

HGSS again , Brock and Misty for the same reason as in DPPT , I choose Chikorita. Though the first few gyms can be rather difficult with Chikorita and it's not really the best choice for Johto.

Years
Whitney was very easy for me as I had a Nidoran female and just ploughed my way through with Double Kick lol, also Bugsy as well cause I had a Spearow and a Cyndaquil lol, poor guy had no chance.

Back