• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Technological Advances

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Gen I, we only had the clothes on our back, and our trusty backpack. Gen II, we got a nifty little invention called the Pokégear, were we can talk with trainers like on a phone,as well as check the time, and listen to music on the radio! Gen III, we've gotten the PokéNav, where we registered trainers, check our Pokémon's condition, and check the map. Gen IV was the Pokétch, where it made quite an impact - there was different functions of it, such as making notes, a step counter, a happiness checker, a day care checker, and even a map where we can track down those legendary pokemon that.. have a habit of running away (eg. Mesprit, Cresselia). In Unova, there was the C-gear, whiiiich was like the Pokétch, but had other functions such as a transport to dream world function, and a nifty little function of connecting with people via Inferred.

Now, here we are in Gen 6. What do you think the technology for trainers will be like this time? Will we see the same options on it thank we've had for the Pokétch, or the C-gear? Perhaps an entirely new set of options, like maybe... more in-game shortcuts? For example, a point to point transfer of pokemon in our PC boxes? (although that's rather unlikely, it can be quite handy!)

Any other thoughts?

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I hope the touch screen is used a lot more (out of battle). I've always felt it was often not used to its full potential.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well they did that with the menu in BW sorta. I think. I hope it's an 'actual' EV checker; something that actually reads to what your EVs to your pokemon are. OMG and an IV checker too...

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
Well they did that with the menu in BW sorta. I think. I hope it's an 'actual' EV checker; something that actually reads to what your EVs to your pokemon are. OMG and an IV checker too...
Agree agree agree

so much agree

I also like the "sending/withdrawing Pokemon from boxes on the go" thing, but let's take it a step further. How about a "reserve" party, where you can keep six extra Pokemon. They also gain exp, just not as much as all the other Pokemon. That way, GF can have their "six pokemon in active party" limit and we can take 12 Pokemon with us. :D

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
6 for a reserve party is too much...maybe 3 instead. I remember Gen III was thinking of changing the number of pokemon in party but for some reason GF decided not to go ahead with that plan...

The device will proably have streetpass functions on it.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Unless they change how Pokemon are saved in the boxes, there won't be a direct transfer from box to party, as health and status conditions aren't saved in the box. That's why if you deposit a Pokemon that isn't healthy in the PC Box, it comes out fine. Because it takes less space to save a Pokemon without that info, I doubt they'll change how its done.

And if they did change it, can you even imagine? When the going gets tough you just switch out your entire party for ones that are raring to go in an instant. All the challenge in actually going places and battling trainers on the way would be nulled out.

I honestly am hoping for a bottom screen start menu like HG/SS, complete with a clock, a Running Shoes toggle, and a button for the new tech on the menu. As for the new tech itself, I hope it's just an IR thing. I didn't use anything else on the C-Gear and even then, it wasn't used often enough to warrant the screen space.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hope we don't have a C-Gear. A minor inconvenience is having to say no when you are playing BW(2) or accidentally saying yes and it activates and you have to turn it off. Minor, but still annoying. So whatever we get this gen, I hope it's not like C-gear. Poketch or PokeNav-esque things would be nice!

Oh. And whatever we have, I hope it doesn't have a phone feature. STOP CALLING ME. Maybe an email feature like in Pokemon Colosseum.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
6 for a reserve party is too much...maybe 3 instead. I remember Gen III was thinking of changing the number of pokemon in party but for some reason GF decided not to go ahead with that plan...

The device will proably have streetpass functions on it.
3 would be good, I agree with that. I don't use streetpass, i don't get out into the streets and pass people

Unless they change how Pokemon are saved in the boxes, there won't be a direct transfer from box to party, as health and status conditions aren't saved in the box. That's why if you deposit a Pokemon that isn't healthy in the PC Box, it comes out fine. Because it takes less space to save a Pokemon without that info, I doubt they'll change how its done.

And if they did change it, can you even imagine? When the going gets tough you just switch out your entire party for ones that are raring to go in an instant. All the challenge in actually going places and battling trainers on the way would be nulled out.

I honestly am hoping for a bottom screen start menu like HG/SS, complete with a clock, a Running Shoes toggle, and a button for the new tech on the menu. As for the new tech itself, I hope it's just an IR thing. I didn't use anything else on the C-Gear and even then, it wasn't used often enough to warrant the screen space.
Yes. I never understood why they never put the clock into plain view. I mean, who uses the Pokegear anyway? :/

Edit:
I hope we don't have a C-Gear. A minor inconvenience is having to say no when you are playing BW(2) or accidentally saying yes and it activates and you have to turn it off. Minor, but still annoying. So whatever we get this gen, I hope it's not like C-gear. Poketch or PokeNav-esque things would be nice!

Oh. And whatever we have, I hope it doesn't have a phone feature. STOP CALLING ME. Maybe an email feature like in Pokemon Colosseum.
You've got mail! You've got mail! You've got mail! /s

Speaking of mail, why not let people chat/send mail in real time, over the internet? Conducting trades would never get easier.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years

You read my mind. Well for the bottom part. I really want the return of the HG/SS bottom, as that was really nice and easy to access. And if we have to have something like the C-Gear, I hope we can at least get an option to switch from it if we're not using it, to a menu like HG and SS.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I think that we will get a completely new device. I liked the Poketech in B/w 2. I really liked how you could connect to the Dream World as well. I think that X and Y will allow you to connect to the Dream World (or if they call it something new), and allow you to do more in the DW. I also hope that you are allowed to interact with your technology more, and that 3D will play a large factor in this as well.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm probably thinking there'll be an entirely new device in Pokémon X and Y that would do all kinds of different functions. Like you'd gain cards for the features and all that similar to how the Pokétch and PokéGear did, but it would have the Map, Video Chat, Radio (if the game is going to have radio return), and many more applications that the Pokétch would normally have, but very much improved.

Something like that would be amazing, especially viewing the map on the bottom screen while traveling rather than stopping and using a Town Map to view the map.

Back