• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help me generate strong Gen 1 team? No Rules.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2012
My buddies and I played the original Pokemon when it came out and recently picked it up to battle again. I currently have Pokemon Red. I am trying to figure out what an ideal team and skillset would be. Please list recommendations. So far I am just beating the game with Venusaur but plan to grind my team out which I think I can do best by facing Elite 4 over and over? No rules. How can I win this? I try to look things up but few sites offer only gen 1 advice.

Thanks in advance.

In short, I want a strong team for Pokemon red. Need advice.

I see no legendary a lot so is just using the three birds ideal with Venusaur and two others? I keep seeing starmie so I picked it up but it seems to be for Recover which I don't think it gets in gen 1.

Last edited:

Kieran_90

That guy that you think you remember
Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2015
Well, you started with Venusaur, which is (in my opinion) the best starter. If you have Starmie, level it up to get some attack moves, it wil cover for Venusaur's greatest weakness. Personally, I thinkthat you should get Mewtwo, it is in Cerulean Cave at a high level, so doesn't need much level grinding. Next, you mentioned the legendary birds. I think that you shold either use Moltres or Arcituno, both strong against grass types, Starmie's weakness. Personally, would use Moltres, since it has the type advantage over Arcituno. Now, if you have Eevee, turn it into Jolteon, a good eeveelution. You need one more pokemon, I would reccomend a normal type, since their only weakness is fighting types. Not sure if this is in gen1, but a Norlax would be good, otherwise use a Clefairy. Good luck!

blue

gucci
Years
Venusaur, Dragonite, Snorlax, Hitmonlee, Starmie & Flareon.

I've found that team very useful throughout several playthroughs. With RBY you're kind of limited to a choice but with a team similar to that you cover 6 different types and they all have credible stats and move sets.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2012
Thanks for your Reply. Idk that normal type so it's prally not gen 1. Any help with skills? I think I'll follow your advice on the rest. I have saved all items and things to make sure I can do whatever. I am about to get mewtwo atm actually. I have not used any TMs yet so I have or access to all in Red.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
some stuff:

1) Wrap/paralysis. Use paralysis to stun your opponent before Wrapping it constantly. Stun ensures your opponent always move last and the Wrap would therefore completely immobilise your opponent yet dish damage at the same time. Victrebel/Arbok/Dragonite are good users of this.

2) X-accuracy and Fissure/Horndrill. Breaks the game.

3) Psychics are OP in this gen. Includes mew and mewtwo. google what is the mew glitch to get one without needing to use cheat codes (but you prob beat that trainer long ago).

4) And seriously stop considering flareon. seriously. The other 2 are WAY BETTER keep emphasizing that

5) of the 3 legendary birds only zapdos is most worth keeping. articuno is decent but moltres is bad.

6) CHANSEY

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
chansey kinda sucks if you want a power house normal type kangaskong or taros

obv u havent even test chansey out for yourself, in the right hands it can even beat mewtwo.
if you look at its stats chansey is basically stronger version of alakazam with godly HP.
gen1's different bro.
kanga sucks but tauros is very good.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2012
some stuff:

1) Wrap/paralysis. Use paralysis to stun your opponent before Wrapping it constantly. Stun ensures your opponent always move last and the Wrap would therefore completely immobilise your opponent yet dish damage at the same time. Victrebel/Arbok/Dragonite are good users of this.

2) X-accuracy and Fissure/Horndrill. Breaks the game.

3) Psychics are OP in this gen. Includes mew and mewtwo. google what is the mew glitch to get one without needing to use cheat codes (but you prob beat that trainer long ago).

4) And seriously stop considering flareon. seriously. The other 2 are WAY BETTER keep emphasizing that

5) of the 3 legendary birds only zapdos is most worth keeping. articuno is decent but moltres is bad.

6) CHANSEY

1. Dragonite sounds like a good idea. Seeing that a lot. The strategy sounds strong. Thanks. I guess I can fish in safari or buy a lot of coins with the Elite 4 money for a Dratini.

2. I have fissure. I have to look up horndrill. However, items can't be used in gen1 in player battles so idk how to include this completely. I am thinking I could put fissure on one with some healing move? Can Snorlax learn Fissure?

3. I have both Mew and Mewtwo. Using Mewtwo sounds great since it is already 70 but should I use both?

4. Yeah, I see a lot of good things on Jolteon. But I am not sure that using Zapados is not better. Worried about to many legendarys will give me a flying weakness. One thing to consider is they prally won't think this out as much as I am so they prally WILL have a flying weakness bc they may have all 3 birds.

5. Zapdos does seem awesome. Moltres has fire spin which traps and does damage but idk if it has the speed to do that higher levels.

6. What moveset on Chansey?

If legends are in play: Mewtwo, Zapdos, Venusaur, Dragonite, Starmie, and Snorlax. No legends, swap Mewtwo for Alakazam and Zapdos for Jolteon.

This is about the lineup that I was thinking after reading everything. I want to be strong against flying bc I expect them to have several of the birds. I am still curious about including chansey which I have caught and is 62 I think so not much grinding. If I were to include Chansey then who would I change out?

1. Mewtwo
2. Zapdos
3. Venusaur
4. Dragonite
5. Starmie
6. Snorlax
(Chansey?)

Anyone want to help me with movesets? And strategies?

Thanks again to everyone for your contributions.

Oh, another big thing. Gengar? Ghosts seem really strong. Should I not try to include that? I have so much to learn... I need to memorize the weaknesses. I know most but the resistances get me more.

Last edited:
Back