• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon 4th Gen Mapping (Still in the works, Importing is not done yet)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Perhaps it might be because I've seen that Sketchup was changed to Trimble Sketchup. I'll see if there is a plugin for that.

Actually, it has nothing to do with the name. 'Cause I've used Trimble Sketchup (the free version) with the same plugin that you're using, and it imported all the textures into the map.

Afraid the suggestions didn't solve my problem. Ignore Material Library is set to no, I've tried reinstalling both the plugin and Google Sketchup itself, but I still get all black/white textures. I am sure these maps have textures because they show up in MKDS. Any suggestions :cross-eye?

The reason why your map doesn't have any textures showing up in it... is quite simple: You didn't export the NSBMD with the textures. The only way to do so is by using SDSME and under "3D Model", click on "Export with Textures". Then you'll be able to export the NSBMD with the textures, then open it up in MKDS Course Modifier and export as .obj.

Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
Actually, it has nothing to do with the name. 'Cause I've used Trimble Sketchup (the free version) with the same plugin that you're using, and it imported all the textures into the map.

The reason why your map doesn't have any textures showing up in it... is quite simple: You didn't export the NSBMD with the textures. The only way to do so is by using SDSME and under "3D Model", click on "Export with Textures". Then you'll be able to export the NSBMD with the textures, then open it up in MKDS Course Modifier and export as .obj.

Sadly, it's not that simple. I double-checked it by exporting it again using that option, and on top of that, the textures show up in MKDS Converter, so I am sure they are there. It's not the game either, since I tried DPP maps as well, and they won't open with textures either :(

Edit: It doesn't seem to be Sketchup? Textures won't open in Blender either...

Edit2: Not my computer's fault, doesn't work on other computers either. I've tried about everything I could think of, so I'm pretty much stuck... I'm still getting the models all white (and squarey) and the ground all grey. Anyone willing to upload a correctly textured HGSS map (or DPP if you want to) to see if I can open that?

Would anyone be able to help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2014
Are you sure you're exporting your map with textures?

The textures show up in both SDSME and MKDS Converter, so yeah, I think I can say I'm sure enough. I'm thinking it has to do something with MKDS Converter, but I've got no clue what I would be looking for.

Edit: Just read Spiky got an OBJ converter working. I guess I'll wait for that and try out whether that does work.

Last edited:

TheWaffleKiing

Pokemon Lets Player :)
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2014
epic

is this really hard cause i wnana get into making my own hack for a game :)

Years
thank you teamfail, you always give good tutorial (and also for all was researching this part) . well is seems work for me (yeah is need SDK)....

for now i not focused in this part so i can't help :/, i focused on my course XD
but is seems awesome i will try it later :3

and on 3ds max 7 , the plugin is seems working ....

if i have a lot time, i try update my youtube channel again XD,and maybe try map hacking (is seems interesting). i have all for this so no need searching again XP

SolusX

Poké Hacker Noob
Years
Is the importing section near completion? I'm having a bit of trouble.
I'm not sure what specific question to ask, but I'm having problems with the end result. When I create the final .nsbmd it seems to be a little bit off of where it should be axiswise and the tilesets don't appear like they once did on that particular edit

Some notes on it:
When I run NNS_Batch_Export_Maya70 it produced an error stating: "Error: n3be file is not specified." However I do see "NINTENDO NITRO system" in Maya and can export as .imd with it. Occasionally it gives a file length error as well.
I'm using Maya 7.0.1 for the conversion from .obj to .imd
I'm not moving any maps when loaded in Google Sketchup or Maya (as an attempt to keep it aligned within the axis)
Altered previews tiles (Tileset 2 normally displayed the town fine; now it shows flower bushes on the preview and a glitchy floor)
There is a black floor when the ROM is loaded, movement permissions not aligned with the map (or so it'd seem since I cannot approach the water in New Bark Town, as if there was a 4x4 obstacle)

edit: I apologize if I am asking in the wrong place.

Last edited:

SolusX

Poké Hacker Noob
Years
I'm still working on it, as I've gotten the model to import, but it's textureless. I've been told why, so I still have to check it out and investigate. As well, I'm not using 7.0 myself, so I'm not sure what the errors are about. As for the off-centeredness, I'll have to see what could be causing that, and movement permissions would have to be modified to cause that, so check your movement permissions.

I've managed to get it back to the center. I just have the same problem that you're having so I'll wait on your expertise to solve it while tinkering with the programs myself. It was merely my fault. I wasn't positioning map correctly.

Last edited:

YORAMRW

8-bit producer & Pokémon GB music hacker
Years
Maybe, Spiky-Eared Pichu/Markitus95 will make an OBJ to NSBMD tool soon, so we don't have to pay for something anymore!

SolusX

Poké Hacker Noob
Years
I've been doing a lot of testing and have come up with an area to focus on fixing. What I most suspect to be the problem with this is Maya and the Nitro plugin OR G3DCVTR. Considering G3DCVTR has been in use for a long time, it could be Maya and/or the Nitro Plugin. I just obtained 3DS Max 6 and the Nitro plugin for that and will test it momentarily. I'd say if it has the same problem, there could be a bug with importing in the program.

edit: Hitting a dead end. 3DS Max 6 doesn't run on Windows 7, and it's giving me issues on an XP Virtual machine. I have no way to test it.

Last edited:

Trifindo

POKEMON OMICRON CREATOR
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2014

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
I've been doing a lot of testing and have come up with an area to focus on fixing. What I most suspect to be the problem with this is Maya and the Nitro plugin OR G3DCVTR. Considering G3DCVTR has been in use for a long time, it could be Maya and/or the Nitro Plugin. I just obtained 3DS Max 6 and the Nitro plugin for that and will test it momentarily. I'd say if it has the same problem, there could be a bug with importing in the program.

edit: Hitting a dead end. 3DS Max 6 doesn't run on Windows 7, and it's giving me issues on an XP Virtual machine. I have no way to test it.

Try 3DS Max 8, not 2008. It supports the plugins very well.
Quote: Originally Posted by Trifindo
Hello I´m not very good at english but I think that this can help you.

There is a programme called SM64DSe, you can download it here: http://kuribo64.cjb.net/archive/board/thread.php?id=12
It can import .obj files in SUPER MARIO 64 DS roms and the results are really good!
You can check an old video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF98O...r_aI_w&index=1
Well I don´t know if it is posible to do it in a Pokemon rom. =/

Thanks a lot for the tutorial!!

I've heard of the editor before, but I don't think the 3D Model types are the same. Since the games were developed at different times, newer filetypes have been made, so the formats would be vastly different. As well, the 3D engines in each game are vastly different, so one model probably wouldn't work on the other.

It'd be interesting to see if the creator of SM64DSe could perhaps make a model importer tool for the Pokémon DS games though.
Yes they are way different, expecially when you hex edit them.....

BTW Team Fail, I've almost completed the land narc up to Route 103, and a beta of Petalburg City. Now I just need to fix some permissions and import some of the other maps. I'm still trying to fix some hex editing textures I meesed up. An Spiky is helping me with some 3DS Max errors, 3DS MAX 6 gives me alot of errors, but 3DS Max 8 is doing ok. I feel like something else is not completed yet.Therefore you have to wait sometime before I finish this...

Years
  • Seen Apr 12, 2016
When is the importing section going to be finished?

PS. awesome tutorial :)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... there is something I'd actually like to be added into this tutorial, which is...

"Note: Remember, if you ever notice that SDSME is not saving the header data for you, that means you didn't click somewhere else on the header table or pressing enter after changing the header value. Always after changing the value, you must click elsewhere on the header table or press enter, 'cause if you don't... then the header data in that particular area won't save."

Oh and something you should also change in this tutorial... is the weather values. 'Cause I've found alot more Weather Effects than 17 in the ROM itself, I'd recommend copy and pasting this to replace the one that's already there, here they are:

Code:
0		Normal
1		Cloudy
2		Rain
3		Heavy Rain
4		Thunderstorm with Heavy Rain
5		Snow
6		Hail
7		Blizzard
8		White Background
9		Volcanic Ash
10		Sandstorm
11		Diamond Dust
12		Rising Rocks
13		Purple and Black Background
14		Gradiant White Fog
15		Gradiant Black Fog
16		Dark Area (Requires Flash)
17		Thunderstorm with No Rain
18		Light Fog
19		Thick Fog
20		Rainbow
21		Hail
22		Sandstorm
23		Tree Shade
24		Very Dark Area
25		Very Dark Area
26		Black Layer
27		Cyan Layer
28		Red Layer
29		Blue Layer
30		Black Layer
31		Crash Upon Entering
32		Rain, Heavy Rain or Thunderstorm with Heavy Rain
33		Normal, Cloudy or Rain
34		Hail or Blizzard
35		Hail or Snow
36		Normal, Snow or Diamond Dust
37 - 255	Cycles through weather effects 32, 33, 34 and 35 with each value from 37 to 255.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
Im getting heavily annoyed at 3DS Max 6. I have the plugins installed correctly but I don't know how to import the OBJ from Spiky's DS Map editor. And I can't seem to find the plugin that allows Max 6 to import and export the OBJ files...

RockeTODAMoon

Swaggernaut
Years
I am trying to export my edited version of New Bark Town to a IMD file, but when I click on Nitro export I get a Bitmap error:
"Failed to open texture on material tree1 at path: untitled/tree1.png".
Please help me.

VERGUNDAI

RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker
Years
I am trying to export my edited version of New Bark Town to a IMD file, but when I click on Nitro export I get a Bitmap error:
"Failed to open texture on material tree1 at path: untitled/tree1.png".
Please help me.

Thats true, keep those files of the edited maps, and try to edit different maps, some maps have png errors and some don't. I think its because only some were exported correctly in 16 colors, while some are exported and 253 colors.

This error usually occurs on 3DS Max 8......FYI

RockeTODAMoon

Swaggernaut
Years
Thats true, keep those files of the edited maps, and try to edit different maps, some maps have png errors and some don't. I think its because only some were exported correctly in 16 colors, while some are exported and 253 colors.

This error usually occurs on 3DS Max 8......FYI

Thanks, I found out what my error was.
I had to add my map with textures to the library.
Now I have a new error, when I try to convert the .IMD file to a NSMBD.
I get a error in CMD;

HTML:
An exception occured! Type:TranscodingException, Message:An invalid multi-byte
source text sequence was encountered
g3dcvtr ERROR: Read error 'Golden.imd'
                        file useifp.h, line 108

Back