• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you thought about Poke'mon, that now you realize were wrong

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
For the longest time I thought status moves like Hypnosis and Supersonic had 100 accuracy, because whenever the AI used them, they never missed. I recently found out that these moves are actually some of the most inaccurate moves in Pokemon (not that that's ever stopped the AI).
Also, for whatever reason, in Black and White I initially thought Darmanitan was a Fire/Fighting type. I mean, he learns a lot of fighting and punching moves, so it just seemed natural to me. Turns out he's pure Fire type. If only I had bothered to look at its summary screen...

PMG

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
When I was younger, I always thought moves that could freeze you just had a lower chance of happening than those that can burn, paralyze, etc. I think it was because you don't see a lot of ice moves until later in most of the games, and even then I just did not see it happen a lot.

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
When I was younger, I always thought moves that could freeze you just had a lower chance of happening than those that can burn, paralyze, etc. I think it was because you don't see a lot of ice moves until later in most of the games, and even then I just did not see it happen a lot.

That's a good point. Burns, paralysis and poison were so much more common. And when you did see an ice Pokemon, they didn't usually get the freeze off.

Years
I was pronouncing 'Flamethrower' wrong for like 9 years {XD}

Also, I just discovered that Sharpedo is the evolved form of Carvanha. I always thought they were not related :3c

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
  • When I was growing up with Gen 3, I thought that Hoenn was "Ho-ey-enn".
  • I used to think Elektross and his evolution line was Water/Electric.
  • I miss pronounce a lot of Pokemon, like Kyogre or Suicune.
  • I used to think that Skarmory was from Gen 3.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I actually used to think Golem was a pokémon without a family, and that Geodude and Graveler were standalone. I was surprised after a few years of having watched the pokémon anime and realizing that Golem evolved from Graveler.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Another one is that until Gen 5, I used to think that Poison (the status condition) cut Attack by 25%. Don't know why, but that's what I used to think.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
When I was younger and I first started watching my older brother playing his Blue version, I thought the attack "Sonic Boom" was pronounced "Soy-nic Bomb".

I had no idea what a sonic boom was.

I also used to think Suicune was pronounced Swee-soon.

Swee-coon just sounded weird to me. Too harsh. xD

Katrica

Shayan
Years
I used to say Suicune as "Soo-ih-sine", then "Soo-ih-soon" after my friend pronounced it like that. I only found out watching Pokemon 4Ever it is "Swee-coon".

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2014
I didn't read all of them so this might be a repeat. I always thought that stat altering moves (such as leer and growl) were just wasted turns. I was so confused as to why my opponents would use them. I also thought that gastly/haunter/gengar were psychic types. Battling Morty was always so frustrating... oh yeah and that geodude evolved into graveler, then onix. Lol just remembered another. I thought that Wooper evolved into wobbuffet

Last edited:

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
I always thought Dunsparce evolved into Gligar.

And- when Gold/Silver first came out- I though Pinsir evolved into Heracross. Scyther got Scizor- so I didn't understand why its counterpart wouldn't get an evo as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2015
I used to think kingdra was one of the first gen pokemon. I think because seadra and kingdra look similar.

I used to call rattata rat-a-tat.

And I used to think if my pokemon was asleep or confused that mashing the A button would help them wake or not be confused anymore. Even though I know it doesn't help, I still mash the A button out of habit XD

Years
Throughout literally all of Sinnoh (my first playthrough ever) I thought my Luxray was a dark type, and was disappointed when it wasn't. I also called rattata rattattata. Still do half the time, whoops. Other than that I can't really remember. I'm sure I mixed up what types were strong against what though. (and now am doing that with fairy types haha)

Years
When I played the first Generation, I thought that Farfetch'd evolves into Doduo. In my defense I had a sticker album which actually claims that. I ended up training my Farfetch'd over level 60 waiting for it to finally evolve in Red. When playing Red I also thought that any moves which don't only upper/lower stats are completely useless so I always replaced them with moves that deal damage.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I thought that Trapinch didn't evolve and Vibrava was the base form of Flygon. I remember trying to find a Vibrava in my first game (Sapphire).

And then there was they way I pronounced Psyduck: Pissyduck.

Yeah.

I also thought that Slugma and Magcargo were Hoenn Pokemon.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I dislike the English-version pronunciation of Giratina.
I prefer the Japanese version where it's Jee-ra-tee-na instead of the English Gee-ra-tee-na.

Arceus as well. I prefer Ar-see-yus instead of Ar-kee-us. >.>

Aside from those, I've read a few here and list a few things I always thought were correct...
Slowbro evolving into Slowking when holding King's Rock and traded. >.>
Alomomola was the evolution of Luvdisc when her SS and art was first revealed. =/
Boffulant was Tauros' evolution. =\
Wurmple to Silcoon during the day, and to Cascoon during the night. Com'on, I was a bug-geek during high school, and I've learned that butterflies are active on daytime while moths during the night! >.<
Rock is weak to Ice. >.>
Bug is weak to Ice. <.<
Bug is neutral to Fighting... o.0
Dunsparce was based on a fluffy slipper. That's why I liked it so much on my Gold version 'cause I liked fluffy slippers that time. >.>
Luxio and Luxray were part-dark type. =/

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
When I played Crystal I thought putting my starter pokemon in the box would make it dislike me since it did in Yellow.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Well, I keep mixing up between some 4th and 5th gen Pokemon, but that's mainly because both of those came out in a time-frame in which I wasn't really that actively into Pokemon :p

It took me years to realize that Ash's last name, Ketchum, was referring to the slogan of "Gotta catch 'em all, haha.

The biggest one is probably having gone all the way up till 2012 thinking Lugia was Water/Flying, only to realize it was Psychic instead of Water. I mean seriously, the guardian of the sea isn't even a Water type? C'mon >:[

Back