• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Best Ruby/Sapphire starter pokemon

Which starter pokemon should i choose?

• Total voters

Tains

Poke'mon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2006
Since I just joined PC I had the idea of starting over in my game. Because if i have problems I can ask you guys for help. So Since I am starting over. at the beginning. Which started pokemon should I choose?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2015
For, me Torchic seems to be the easiest to train. Most of the early trainers use bug types so Ember can wipe them all out while you evolve it. But you'll have to learn doUBLE kICK ONCE IT EVOLVES OR YOU'LL HAVE A HARD TIME AGAISNT THE rUSTBORO GYM. Stupid caps lock. Not gonna bother re-typing it.

I've never used Mudkip before.

Treecko is the one I chose the last time I started a new game. It's pretty easy erly on with it in my opinion....

So...Teecko and Torchic.

Tains

Poke'mon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2006
Come on people i need to start the game sooner then later!! Which pokemon should i choose?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
all of them are very powerful and definitely usable... it's a lot better than older versions where one starter *coughthegrassonecough* is obviously weaker than the other two. This time all of them are useful. You can just pick either one and it'll be fine.

However, save the game before choosing the starter, and keep restarting until you get a female version of the starter... this way it allows you to breed your starting Pokemon to get valuable egg moves, or republicate your starter Pokemon so you can trade it away with friends for other valuable Pokemon/items.

Years
I vote Torchic

I vote Torchic, because Torchic is cute to me, and because Torchic soon grows to be a butt-kicker at the Elite Four, if I have my facts straight, maybe right :) , and maybe not :sleeping: . Hope ya good luck on your game file.
~Tetris

Tains

Poke'mon Breeder
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2006
heh well thanks all for your help i've chosen my starter and it isnt mudkip

mewtwo87

Sk8er
Years
I think the coolest one is torchic because blaziken is cool, but mudkip is the strongest and swampert is strongest too.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
Years
When I was decided, I couldn't choose between Mudkip and Torchic. I've been able to use both of them really well. They're can both be really strong, and my decision came down to their last evolution. Swampert is really good, but it's fainted more times than my Blaziken did. Well,that might be my fault...so, eitherone of them. Doesn't matter.

BigBoss

Banned
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2007
mudkip sucks. It is very weak after battiling Norman. Torchic is best cause you can not only find a way to beat most gyms, (ex: Double Kick at Roxanne; peck at Brawly; etc.) but you kick butt at the E4! Treeko is okay all the way but I recomend Torchic.

IceKitten

Sneasel! Ice Beam!
Years
I picked Torchic when I first began, because it's evos is the only Fire/Fightning in the game, you shouldn't worry about picking a certain starter because of the gyms, u can get a Swampert filler later on (Whiscash) and maybe a Sceptile filler? Well maybe not because it can learn the almighty Leaf Blade, but meh.

SKainuiG

Nomel Holds a Numel Berry
Years
Mudkip is my favorite, but then again Treecko can learn Giga Drain and False Swipe which are my favorites because no matter what level you're at compared to your opponent, the get down to one life. It's useful for completing pokedex's and Giga Drain also gains you life, but that's just my preference. It just seems to me like it was easier to go through the game with Treecko... too bad it only got 2 votes.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
Years
At level 36 or 37 I believe. Well, it's before level 40 I know that, much earlier than Swampert. And the Mudkip line get BETTER after beating Norman because you can get Ice Beam on the sunken ship and Ice is strong to a lot of common types. You can beat the whole game using only Mudkip and its evo's. I've done it.

And yes, all but 5 natures effect stats. Hardy, Serious, Docile, Bashful, and some other one are nuetral natures, others will increase a stat while decreasing another, like Adamant which increases Attack but decreases Special Attack.

Back