• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) Discussion Thread 2013

Years
Yeah, I'm still kinda disappointed with the Wii U. I mean, I'm obviously getting Smash Bros. and Zelda Wind Waker Wii U, but other than that..?

I think I'm actually going to pick up a PS4. It looks so awesome. ;-;

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Nintendo Blew me Away. Obviously exited about Pokemon. New 3D Mario!!! There were a number of games that looked original and different.

Nintendo knows that games are about "fun". Nintendo looks like it has plenty of fun games.

Now, I only play 3DS, but WiiU looks like a great system. (with a weird remote.)
Seriously, just have a regular controller...

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Before I go forward with what I am about to say, I would like to point out that over the years I have learned one thing, if anything: Never doubt Nintendo. That is to say, before you actually try something Nintendo offers, do not judge it. At all. I held out for 61/2 years before buying a Wii because when I first saw its controller I fainted. I must admit, I thought it was the dumbest thing Nintendo had ever done. It was not the dumbest thing Nintendo had ever done. That is to say, it was genius. And so I will hold all final judgement until I actually try these games, and try them I will. For now though, I will provide some very detailed preliminary input on the games revealed in today's Nintendo Direct. Mind you, I have a lot to say and I will not hold back. Watch out for a wall of text.

Super Smash Bros Wii U / 3DS looks AWESOME!!!11!1 SPECTACULAR!!!111!
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze looks AWESOME!!!11!1 SPECTACULAR!!!111!
Mario Kart 8 looks AWESOME!!!11!1 SPECTACULAR!!!111!

Super Mario 3D World looks, well, ok let's talk about this a little. If you've been extensively scouring the web ever since this morning's broadcast, which is admittedly what I've been doing all day, you've probably heard this a lot. Super Mario 3D World was not what I was expecting from Nintendo. Not by a long shot. To sum up by feelings towards this announcement:

There are two ways this can go:
A) Nintendo can opt to replace our classic 3D mario 64/sunshine/galaxy-esque games with, well, this crap. In which case I will opt to stock up on copies of 64/sunshine/galaxy and play them endlessly while ignoring all this 3D Land/World nonsense.

Or B) they can opt to consider this series separate and, in the near future, create a new 64/sunshine/galaxy-esque game, in which case Super Mario 3D World seems very creative and I say: "Go Nintendo".

Your move Nintendo, your move.

Also, just so people don't come out and tell me that I'm contradicting myself, allow me to point out that I am not judging this particular game, I'm judging Nintendo's decision to replace what we love in 3D Mario, with this.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
I'm so surprised at the people praising Sony's presentation. In terms of games, even Microsoft had a much better showing, and they actually made me think about next gen. Sony was super underwhelming in that department.

But nope, because they announced the lack of a DRM, their presentation is suddenly the best ever. It's so sad we're seeing people getting sooo excited about it, to the point they forget about the other anti-consumer policy they're bringing in, a paywall for online. (Microsoft had it before, sure, and there's no defending it, or this.)

If no DRM is what people wanted, might as well look into the Wii U.

EDIT: Let's not forget how the PS3 had a better showing than the Vita.
Microsoft's conference was like only 5% exclusives while everything else also being on the PS3/360/PS4/PC.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
i gotta admit, the ps4 got my vote for the next console im getting bye bye microsoft..

also M$ was pretty butthurt when sony announced they fully support n will continue with used games as we do now, also offered a cheaper console with just as much power but thats what M$ gets for trying to corner the market and get more money out of users

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
With E3 wrapping up, I think it's safe to say I'm getting a PS4 without the Plus service (not at launch, but some time after I see the later releases, and I rarely go online) and a second-hand 3DS. Something something Raylan Givens quote something.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
While I have no plans to buy a PS4, the system impressed me a lot this E3. Quite a lot of new, interesting titles were announced for it such as FFXV and KH3 (both of which are also Xbox One titles) as well as more information for titles such as Knack and Infamous Second Sun.

Nintendo's showing was good, yet disappointingly predictable. Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros looks fantastic as well as X and Donkey Kong Country. Super Mario 3D World looks a lot like 3D Land, which I didn't enjoy so I may skip that one.
Don't regret buying a Wii U after E3 Nintendo Direct.

As for Microsoft, I like to pretend they aren't here.

Sony won E3, with Nintendo being a very close second.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
It's been hard for me to keep up with E3 2013 (mainly due to lack of much Internet access at the moment), but the news that I've received so far is very exciting (and there's still E3 news that I won't be able to look at for a while...)! Nintendo flat-out won E3 2013 for me with the mere arrival of so much Super Smash Bros. 4 content, let alone new Pokemon X and Y tidbits! ^^

I had to find out the first SSB4 E3 2013-related news through Twitter...(and while I've seen one of the SSB4 Developer Direct videos (it featured Masahiro Sakurai), I'm still yet to see the actual trailer)...MEGAMAN CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!. So glad to see an amazing fan request like that come true, and now I'm only more excited for future veterans, newcomers, and third-party characters... The Never Trust A Trailer trope is in full effect here (at least for me); but once SSB4 receives an official release, playing as Megaman in the actual Smash series (as opposed to Super Smash Flash 2) will most likely be glorious. It's neat to see other veterans returning as well (thank God that Link keeps the Bow, Bomb, and Spin Attack moves so far; still waiting for Boomerang/Gale Boomerang).

Villager of Animal Crossing was quite a surprise (I first saw his name in a tweet and initially misread it as Villagers, which made me think that there was a group of Assist Trophies or something that attacked); can't wait to hear the SSB4 announcer stating his name in epic fashion. On another note, I really hope Title Scream returns for SSB4; the series just isn't the same without it.

The inclusion of the Wii Fit Trainer (WTF?) was definitely a surprise (the biggest case of Unexpected Character in the SSB series for me; I'm surprised she was announced so early)...her moveset seems like it'll have some potential... I feel sorry for whichever highly-requested character(s) don't make the roster due to her. XD

I noticed that Pit received a new move; hopefully his Super Smash Bros. Brawl is enhanced rather than worsened...all seems good so far (and I'm hoping that his forward smash attack receives a little more range this go-round). The stages I've seen look excellent (although I'm really hoping that a lot of classic stages return from past SSB installments); I'm loving the redesign of the Battlefield stage, and I'm ecstatic that we'll finally get to fight on a Zelda-inspired Spirit Tracks train, within Gerudo Valley, and inside a boxing ring! Graphics also look gorgeous so far, especially the Wii U version.

Not a fan of the current titles of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS; I'm hoping those are just placeholders...hopefully better implementations of Super Title 64 Advance or other subtitles occur, such as Super Smash Bros. Revolution (Wii U/3DS), Super Smash Bros. (4:) Universe (Wii U) and Super Smash Bros. (4:) Dimensions (3DS), or Super Smash Bros. Battle Royale (Wii U/3DS). If all else fails, plain old Super Smash Bros. 4 (Wii U/3DS) works just fine (although it kind of emphasizes the games' sequel aspect a little too much and peculiarly uses a number rather than a word).

------

From what I've heard, PlayStation 4 fared better than XBox One XBox 720/XBox 3 (sorry, but the name "XBox One" annoys me a lot); although Wii U personally surpassed the other 2 consoles, PS4 is also intriguing me much more than Microsoft's forthcoming system...I'm glad Sony learned a lesson in price reduction at least! XD (I heard that Sony's PS4 is $100 cheaper, and that Sony made that announcement right after Microsoft announced the XBox 3's price tag...)

Super-excited that Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy Versus 13 Final Fantasy 15 (the latter being a prime example of almost-Vaporware and a worthy memetic successor to the legacy spawned by Duke Nukem Forever) were finally announced (at the same E3 convention, no less!) It's a bit weird that Final Fantasy XV is still a part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis collection despite the unexpected/interesting name change (skipping over the online-based FF14 just like that), but whatever... Now all we need are tangible release dates...

I am quite irritated that KH3 and FF15 were only announced for PlayStation 4 and XBox 3...I know that the Nintendo Wii wasn't graphically stellar for some people (which shouldn't even count for much regarding games, but again, whatever) and may have had underpowered hardware compared to its rivals of the PlayStation 3 and XBox 360, but I would think that the Wii U at least deserves a chance to receive these two long-awaited titles... This "2 out of 3 platforms" thing has got to stop...either make a game for one system (i.e., Nintendo Wii U), a pair of system from the same company (i.e., Nintendo Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, something in the vein of SSB4), or go all multiplatform (either all of the currently-marketed home console systems - Wii U, PS4, XBox 3; all of the currently-marketed handheld console systems - 3DS, PlayStation Vita; or both of the aforementioned sets combined).
I guess the developers have their reasons though...one 'reason' I recall is that the Wii U's GamePad controller is 'too hard to work with'...which, IMO, seems lazy...you *could* just put more data (i.e., stats, maps, attacks available) on the controller's screen so that the TV screen isn't cluttered with little symbols and such...not to mention that Nintendo's Wii U works with the Wii's Classic Controller and has its own "traditional" controller, both of which are suited for conventional gameplay control layouts that the PS4 and XBox One still adhere to. Aside from the screen, the Wii U's controller(s) really doesn't look more difficult to 'work with' compared to other companies' controllers. In any case, I'll still hold out hope that Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 receive Wii U releases at some point, similar to what happened with Ninja Gaiden 3/Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge and the Wii U (although PS3 and XBox 360 eventually got that title as well...le sigh).

E3 2013 definitely seems like a success for me, as it got me excited for a slew of games, and I await to see what the next months/years hold in store for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft! I hope Nintendo returns to doing actual keynote presentations at future E3 conventions, though...

P.S. If you happened to read all of this, thank you so much! ^_^

Bartolomeo

Youtube = Crap
Years
I couldn't watch it live earlier due to non-availability of internet connection on my PC. But I read some posts about FFXV's and KH3's unveiling on some forums using my mobile. People were going crazy over the former's trailer. I, personally, didn't like it that much. It didn't make me go "WOW" like Infamous Second Son (that's what its name was, I think?) and MGSV's trailer did. I still have yet to see all the trailers but MGSV's trailer, imo, was the best out of whatever I saw.

As for the console war...yeah, PS4 got this. Dunno what MS is thinking.

Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2013
I'm mainly an Xbox gamer, but I recently got a 3DS XL because after seeing Pokemon X/Y the urge to play Pokemon again (after 10 years) was so great that I broke down and picked up cards, games, etc. to get ready for it. I'm also planning on getting a PS Vita sometime to get their games as well, primarily LittleBigPlanet 2. I'm sticking with the Xbox One for my main console next generation, but will have the PS Vita and 3DS alongside it for a number of exclusives.

Sir Codin

I missed most of it, but from what I'm hearing, Nintendo was the highlight. I'm going down the Wikipedia list of things shown right now. Here's my thoughts on most of them:

- Call of Duty: Ghosts (*snore*)
- Dragon's Crown (would get it if I had a PS Vita or PS3)
- Dead Rising 3 (only on Xbox One...screw you, Capcom)
- Duck Tales: Remastered (AWESOME)
- Plants VS Zombies 2 (AWESOME)
- Everything Microsoft showed (sucks ass because it's either on Xbox One or because I'm not interested)

- The Elder Scrolls Online (if I have to pay, not interested. Otherwise, maybe. Make an Elsweyr game, Bethesda. And give Fallout back to Interplay now that Black Isle is up an running again)

- Dark Souls II (AWESOME)
- Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (AWESOME)
- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (AWESOME)
- Pokemon X & Y (AWESOME)
- Super Smash Bros. 4 (Please be faster and more fun than Brawl)
- Kingdom Hearts III (this would be nice if I actually still cared about KH)
- Assassin's Creed IV (I'm done with this series...really)
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist (please be better than Conviction)
- South Park: The Stick of Truth (Obsidian, I AM BEGGING YOU....DON'T. F***. THIS. UP)

Other than that, the only other info I got in E3 was this guy's take on it. Prepare for expletives:

Back