• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team building help (OU... kinda...)

Years
Team Rating and Suggestions (OU... kinda...)

Hi,
So I put this team together, trying to use only pokemon that I actually like.

Roserade : Big Root
Natural cure
Calm
Giga-Drain
HP Fire
Spikes
Leech seed
-Spike/Seeder. (Try to) Spike the field, Seed a potentential wall and GTFO

Heatran : Air Ballon
Modest
Flame thrower*
Earth Power
HP Grass
Stealth Rock
-Come in on a fire type attack directed to Scizor or Roserade, lay rocks, attempt sweep
* not using Fire blast. I was in a wifi battle and Heatran was my last poke and he sent Charizard as his last poke. It used Focus blast and mised TWICE while I killed it with Flamethrower.

Milotic : Leftovers
Bold
Scald
Ice Beam
Dragon Tail
Recover
-Tank physical hits, Scald stuff, "faint" dragons, deny set ups

Salamence : Life Orb
Rash
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Earthquake
Roost
- Use the appropriate attack and GTFO

Scizor : Choice Band
Adamant
(the usual set ;) )
- Resist outrages, RK frail stuff, U-turn when it's a TRAP!

Starmie : Expert Belt
Timid
(the usual with RS)
-Janitorial work (clean Spikes and Rocks) and some RK

I would like to know what you think, what I could change to improve synergy or coverage. Should I replace anyone?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
EVs would be really helpful here...

While Roserade can set up Spikes or Toxic Spikes, its low Defense makes it vulnerable to most Pokemon that specialize in physical moves. Ferrothorn is most likely a better bet because of its high defenses and good defensive typing. But Roserade does have a niche of absorbing opposing Toxic Spikes, though, so you can keep it if you want:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
-Power Whip/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Fire Blast is most definitely the better option on Heatran; it needs all the power it can get. Its accuracy isn't as problematic as Stone Edge and Focus Blast are.

Is Salamence using the EV spread of 100 Atk/176 SAtk/232 Spe?

Also, in the future, it's a better idea to list in every single move your Pokemon has instead of just "the usual." In Starmie's case, it's Surf or Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Rapid Spin, am I right?

Years
EVs would be really helpful here...

While Roserade can set up Spikes or Toxic Spikes, its low Defense makes it vulnerable to most Pokemon that specialize in physical moves. Ferrothorn is most likely a better bet because of its high defenses and good defensive typing. But Roserade does have a niche of absorbing opposing Toxic Spikes, though, so you can keep it if you want:
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
-Power Whip/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

Fire Blast is most definitely the better option on Heatran; it needs all the power it can get. Its accuracy isn't as problematic as Stone Edge and Focus Blast are.

Is Salamence using the EV spread of 100 Atk/176 SAtk/232 Spe?

Also, in the future, it's a better idea to list in every single move your Pokemon has instead of just "the usual." In Starmie's case, it's Surf or Hydro Pump/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Rapid Spin, am I right?

I did forget to list EVs... so:
Roserade: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Heatran: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Milotic: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Salamence: 100 Atk/176 SAtk/232 Spe
Scizor: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Starmie: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

I have never given Ferrothorn a try, I might breed one soon. Also which one can deal with bulky water types easier? Rosy or Thorny? Though Roserade's niche also lies in the fact that it can dispose of RS Foretress.

I went for Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin on Starmie's case. should I go for a more Custom move set?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I did forget to list EVs... so:
Roserade: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Heatran: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Milotic: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Salamence: 100 Atk/176 SAtk/232 Spe
Scizor: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Starmie: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

I have never given Ferrothorn a try, I might breed one soon. Also which one can deal with bulky water types easier? Rosy or Thorny? Though Roserade's niche also lies in the fact that it can dispose of RS Foretress.

I went for Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin on Starmie's case. should I go for a more Custom move set?

I guess Ferrothorn, because Grass/Steel resists a lot of types.

And Starmie's fine as is.

Also, what's Scizor's exact set?

Years
Also, what's Scizor's exact set?

Technician
Choice Band

Bullet punch
U turn
Superpower
Pursuit

My Team is mainly SpA oriented so Scizor is there to take care of Special Walls. Which would make Ferrothorn a good option since it's a physical "attacker". no?

So far I have been having decent success with this team, on WiFi 3 on 3. Except against
Sub
LowSweep
Spore
Bullet Seed
Toxic Orb Breloom... (mainly because the guy kept spamming Spore on my switch in. I ain't mad, it's not Smogon, I don't care about facing Garchomps either)

Back