• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilTotodile

We're Evil
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2021
fennekin looks great! a lot better than tepig. i always go with fire so im glad its a good one

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
For once, I actually want to get the grass starter for my first run! Chespin looks too adorable to pass on. Beside, Froakie looks like he may be Water/flying, but might end up as a pure water while Fennekin might have the dreaded fire/fighting combo just like the last three.

Whatever Chespin evolve Into, I won't regret my choice!

Water/flying is something most of us really haven't considered in detail. However, given the clouds are there, there's a good point that it could fly but I'm afraid if it did fly it'd be some scary creature based upon from what people have... drawn. :(

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Is Fennekin the Dog of the Chinese Zodiac?

There's been much debate on this issue. I obviously think that yes, Fennekin is meant to represent the Dog, but there's still a faction who think that its not. I wanted to get the opinions of the people on here.

To start, I'll share my opinion of why Fennekin should be allowed in the Zodiac club. My opinion basically boils down to two reasons: Cyndaquil and Chimchar. Some of the same people who claim Fennekin is not the Dog also hold these two up as the Rat and Monkey respectively, without realizing that this punches a major hole in their theory. The fact of the matter is that Cyndaquil is not based on a rat and Chimchar is not based on a monkey.

Lets start with Cyndaquil. Now, Cyndaquil has been identified with many fans (and official sources) over the years as being inspired by a shrew or an echidna. The very name Cyndaquil seems to denote echidna because these animals have spines sticking out of their backs. They also have the same long snout as Cyndaquil. However, neither a shrew nor an echidna are related to rats: they aren't even rodents. So, Cyndaquil is not really a "fire mouse", even if Sugimori identifies it as such.

Likewise, Chimchar also pretends to be a monkey when it isn't. I'm sure that some of you think I'm crazy for asserting this theory, but the fact is that no, Chimchar is not based on a monkey. Its based on a chimpanzee. And for those who didn't know, chimps are not monkeys; they are apes, which is a completely separate family. Apes are actually more closely related to humans than monkeys because humans are in fact apes ourselves.

Therefore, Fennekin is actually as close to being the Dog as Chimchar is to being the Monkey, and is even closer to being the Dog than Cyndaquil is to being the Rat. However, I am not advocating that Cyndaquil and Chimchar be disqualified from being part of the Zodiac club. The simple fact is that Sugimori and Satoshi have always mashed together animals as inspiration for their Pokémon, even if the animals they group together are only distantly related. Chimps may not actually be monkeys, but in our imagination, they are close enough to be associated with monkeys. The same can be said for shrews/echidnas and rats. Therefore, even though Fennekin is technically a fox, it should still be considered close enough to meet the requirements of being the Dog of the Chinese Zodiac.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I agree...also it'll be funny if Fennekin's final form is based on a chihuaha, which sort of look like foxes...also foxes are related to Dog's biologically (not sure how distant though) so there's another point. You picked up practically all the points I thought of when I first thought that Fennekin didn't fit than thought again, that oh wait, it sort of does.

Years
Hm I didn't realize that fennekin could be the dog! I had thought that they had broken the theme of chinese zodiac, but I guess not. Also, charmander is based on the legendary creature the salamander, but then becomes a dragon. So gamefreak likes to tweak the rules on the zodiac theme. It'll be interesting if this ends up being true or not!

Scorpio219

PM me for custom banners
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2013
The "All fire type starters follow the chinese Zodiac!" is the same as, "All grass type starters are reptiles!"----------------It is JUST a coincidence. It isn't a law of pokemon and I am now happy the new grass is a mammal and the new fire is a fox. Now people can stop making these stupid theories, especially since Pokemon is japanese, not chinese

Years
Nope, I don't think so. Fennekin, even though I despise its' very existence, is a fox, and therefore isn't a dog. Pretty simple if you think about it.

Years
So since the original theory of the zodiac is already full of holes it's totally acceptable to count a fox as a dog? Sure, why not.

The "All fire type starters follow the chinese Zodiac!" is the same as, "All grass type starters are reptiles!"----------------It is JUST a coincidence. It isn't a law of pokemon and I am now happy the new grass is a mammal and the new fire is a fox. Now people can stop making these stupid theories, especially since Pokemon is japanese, not chinese
Just because it's a Japanese game doesn't mean it can't have elements of the Chinese zodiac. There is a lot of cultural borrowing between the countries, and has been for as long as people from both areas have had contact with each other.

But yeah, I think it was more coincidence than anything, too.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Doubt it....foxes aren't considered "True dogs" from the Canini Tribe like dingoes, wolves, coyotes, domestic dogs etc. but rather they're Vulpini.

People think foxes are dogs because of it being in the Canidae family, but really they're not. Let's do some research guys~

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Even though foxes aren't technically dogs, foxes are related to dogs, so maybe on it's own right, even though it might not be a dog, Fennekin might still represent a dog. So the possibility might be up there, but... eh, it's a slim one. I thought that pokemon like Vulpix or maybe actual dog pokemon like Growlithe represented the Zodiac already, so, it's a surprise that they'd use a fire fox again.

iTeruri

iAm
Years
All fire starters are from the Chinese Zodiac: broken with Cindaquil.
All grass starters are reptiles; broken with Chespin
Each generation has two main games and a third version; broken with Black 2 & White 2

My point being that fans see a lot of patterns in the Pokémon games that aren't meant to be patterns. The only 'pattern' related to the starters is that all water starters are being able to walk, but I don't think we'll ever see a fish as a starter Pokémon.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
How is it an issue? Lol

But yeah it's pretty commonly speculated that all of the Fire-starters are based on animals in the Chinese zodiac. Whether or not it's coincidence is up to fans to decide but the fact of the matter is that the starters ALL have links to it, like it or not.

Foxes are canines too so yeah, easily applicable. I highly doubt GF is going to be as specific as possible about it, they're developing it so it's entirely how they want to play it. But half of the animals in the Chinese zodiac are represented by the Fire-type starters in some way or another. You guys think that's entirely coincidence?

You can't compare Pokemon exclusively to one species of animal because they aren't animals. They're imaginative creatures. No need to be so literal.

I'm personally eager to see the tiger *w*

sn: They already canonically represented the astrological zodiac with Pokemon that loosely yet accurately fit the mold for the signs - Gothitelle represents Virgo, can you really see that as a young maiden? Not literally but figuratively, yes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Doubt it....foxes aren't considered "True dogs" from the Canini Tribe like dingoes, wolves, coyotes, domestic dogs etc. but rather they're Vulpini.

People think foxes are dogs because of it being in the Canidae family, but really they're not. Let's do some research guys~

Dude. This is Pokémon, where an echidna/shrew (Cyndaquil) is considered a "fire mouse." Its no stretch of the imagination that they'd have a fox representing the dog.

All fire starters are from the Chinese Zodiac: broken with Cindaquil.

People say that Cyndaquil represents the Rat, which I can see personally.

actual dog pokemon like Growlithe represented the Zodiac already, so, it's a surprise that they'd use a fire fox again.

Growlithe is based on a shisha, which is a cross between a lion and a dog

Last edited:

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
Years
So lemme get this straight... You guys have been comparing Fennekin to Eevee and Growlithe on recent pages, but there's been little mention of another fire fox Pokemon that's existed since Gen 1. *points to own username* I'm especially interested to see how Fennekin's evolutions will turn out, especially to see how they'll compare to Vulpix and Ninetales. Ninetales remains as one of my favourite Pokemon overall, so it just might disappoint me to see another fire fox rival it...

And then Froakie has two other water frogs to compare with: Politoed and Seismitoad. Oh wait, my bad--they're toads, not frogs. Well, Politoed looks like a frog despite having toad in its name... never mind. Anyway, I'd also be curious to see how Froakie's evolutions compare to those other water frogs. Especially if it became more prince-like in its evolutions. That would be awesome.

Chespin, meanwhile... Oh hey, looks like there are no Grass-type rodents yet! Chespin has officially won the prize of most original starter of the sixth generation. Of course, now I have to hope it doesn't gain a Ground-type upon evolution and become more Drilbur-like. I personally would like a Grass/Dark-typing for its evolutions, or maybe even Grass/Fighting. The latter hasn't been done before, so that should be even more interesting.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
So lemme get this straight... You guys have been comparing Fennekin to Eevee and Growlithe on recent pages, but there's been little mention of another fire fox Pokemon that's existed since Gen 1. *points to own username* I'm especially interested to see how Fennekin's evolutions will turn out, especially to see how they'll compare to Vulpix and Ninetales. Ninetales remains as one of my favourite Pokemon overall, so it just might disappoint me to see another fire fox rival it...

And then Froakie has two other water frogs to compare with: Politoed and Seismitoad. Oh wait, my bad--they're toads, not frogs. Well, Politoed looks like a frog despite having toad in its name... never mind. Anyway, I'd also be curious to see how Froakie's evolutions compare to those other water frogs. Especially if it became more prince-like in its evolutions. That would be awesome.

Chespin, meanwhile... Oh hey, looks like there are no Grass-type rodents yet! Chespin has officially won the prize of most original starter of the sixth generation. Of course, now I have to hope it doesn't gain a Ground-type upon evolution and become more Drilbur-like. I personally would like a Grass/Dark-typing for its evolutions, or maybe even Grass/Fighting. The latter hasn't been done before, so that should be even more interesting.

Breloom is a Grass/Fighting type. :)

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
Years
Gosh, I knew I was missing something... I was about to say Grass/Dark hasn't been done yet either, but then I remembered Shiftry. Okay then. Make Chespin's evolutions Grass/Electric. THAT hasn't been done yet. I'm sure of it this time. And that'll appeal to those of you comparing Chespin to existing Pikaclones as well.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Gosh, I knew I was missing something... I was about to say Grass/Dark hasn't been done yet either, but then I remembered Shiftry. Okay then. Make Chespin's evolutions Grass/Electric. THAT hasn't been done yet. I'm sure of it this time. And that'll appeal to those of you comparing Chespin to existing Pikaclones as well.

Rotom can become Electric/Grass with a lawnmower attached to it, but there is no other natural Electric/Grass or Grass/Electric mix. Chespin could just be a pure Grass-type and maybe its evolutions too but they may become Grass/Ground like Torterra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back