• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please help with battling team!

Years
Hey guys! I'm getting my friends back into Game Cable battling, so I need a little help with my Pokémon Gold team. Move replacements and Pokémon replacements can be done.
My team:
Starmie with Surf, Tbolt, Psychic, and Ice beam
Forretress with Rapid spin, spikes, protect, and explosion
Houndoom with Sunny Day, solarbeam, flamethrower, and crunch
snorlax with rest, curse, hyper beam, and sleep talk
Heracross with Megahorn, endure, reversal, and toxic
kangaskhan with earthquake, submission, dizzy punch, and FLY( glitched pokemon blue)
any comments or suggestions?

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
OK, Here's my review. Unfortunately a few concerns need to be raised here.

Starmie's movepool looks great. No concerns.

For Forretress I think Explosion is a tad too risky. I'd use Toxic instead of Explosion, as it works well with Protect to put a shorter timer on your opponents.

Houndoom's movepool isn't bad offensively as its Flamethrower and Crunch provide near-perfect coverage, but its poor defenses make setting up Sunny Day quite difficult.

Snorlax is great defensively but it should not be using Hyper Beam as it is inaccurate and requires a turn to recharge. Return is the more reliable move to avoid being set-up bait, but even with just a single Normal type move, Ghost-types can easily switch in, as well as those with high defense and resistances to Normal, such as Steelix.

Heracross' moveset can easily be beaten by Poison types, as they are immune to Toxic and resist both of its moves. I may recommend using Earthquake, but even that can't stop Crobat, one of Heracross' best counters.

Kangaskhan prefers to have Return as well rather than a low-powered move with the unlikely chance to confuse the opponent. I also think that Dynamic Punch is better than Submission. Whilst it is less accurate, it has no recoil damage, more power and the added bonus of automatically confusing the target.

May I also say that from a defensive point of view none of your team resist Electric or Rock, so I'd recommend adding a Ground-type to replace one of your Normal-types to alleviate this problem.

I hope this review helps, and good luck in your battles.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks a whole lot for the insight, I think I might be replacing Heracross with a ground type to counter Electricity as you said, because of Jolteon, Zapdos, and Raikou which will probably be used. I'm definitely switching Hyper Beam for Return, but is there a way to get 2 return TMs? and do Normal types get a STAB for Normal attacks?
Oh and I will be adding Toxic for my Forretress, great idea.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
In response to your question to enabling 2 TMs I'm not sure if you can do that to be honest (You definitely could if this was Gen 5). I didn't realize that the TMs in the older generations were single-use, as I haven't played anything before the BW series, and just used my research to help me make my review. Still, I'd recommend replacing one of your Normal-types with a Ground-type anyway, so you could just use Return for one of your Pokemon.

Fortunately, Normal types do have STAB on Normal-type attacks.

Back