• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think Red is overpowered?

Do you think Red is overpowered?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • No.

Votes: 97 84.3%

• Total voters

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Red was my favorite boss because he was tough and used Pokemon no other trainers in the game used very often. There was an aura of mystery around him that also made it enjoyable to fight him. I don't think I've ever fought Red and thought "Gosh, he's too hard!". I think I've fought him and thought "What a challenge!"

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
No, I don't think he's overpowered. Snorlax has a lol moveset and the three starters aren't that tough to beat. Pikachu is easily handled by something with Earthquake. Lapras is IMO the toughest one to beat thanks to its massive bulk.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
If you don't prepare properly of course Red is going to be a problem then again you can say that for just about any major trainer now.

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2023
I think some parts of the games and its overpowered but then again its kinda fun to play

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
He isnt. Even tho he's my fav character in Pokemon i dont think he's overpowered. I think I beat him on my 7, 8th try.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
No, I don't think so. I beat him very easily and my pokemon were all at lower levels than his were. I was expecting more of a challenge with Red, but I was disappointed honestly.

Dark Sonic

Chaos Control!
Years
nope not one bit it's fun and challenging actually but of course his pkmn are high leveled since he's been training that long

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
I didn't have too much trouble with him despite the levels. Pikachu goes down pretty easily, though the Light Ball he's holding in Gen4 does make him a minor threat. Charizard, Lapras, and Blastoise can all be taken out with an Electric type, and Venusaur with an Ice or Fire type. The Hail in Gen4 can make things annoying, but since Lapras is his only Ice Pokemon, it doesn't do his team much good either. He's challenging compared to the other standard Trainers in the game, but it's nothing like the Battle Frontier.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I think he's a bit harder to beat in the remakes than in GSC. Maybe that's because I actually haven't managed to beat him yet and I just don't have the patience to train up my Pokemon to do so... lol

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
His levels were just right he was ten times harder in the original g/s/c just for the fact you didnt see it coming. i went nuts when i saw i was gonna battle against ash ( since the original red is ash ). I feel they should of switched his pokemon a little bit not just giving him lapras because with so many newer pokemon that the remakes have plus the fact you knew he was coming and what pokemon he had even with the level upgrade it was easy

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2014
The music for this battle was legendary.
I really wish his Pikachu was stronger. It gave me a run for my money because I had 2/3 flying and water types on me. It wasn't too hard a fight, though tit was the first time my pokemon fainted in a long time.

Years
I think it was a fair challenge. Even though for me, he was probably the most difficult trainer in the games, it was a challenge that was worth completing.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2013
He's your rival. In the time you took to get there, you should have pretty strong pokemons too

Sirfetch’d

Strong? Yes. Overpowered? Not at all. While Red is certainly hard to take down I would not consider him OP. I was able to defeat him with a team that was 5-10 levels lower than him.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Nooooooooooooo haha. Red's team is stupidly easy to beat - but any team with the main focus as a Pikachu would be! He uses very average (and predictable) Pokémon and doesn't use them at all well, making his team easy to beat even when you're several levels lower than him. I do wish he was stronger as he's quite an epic final battle, especially given his location and how the peak itself looks, but you can't have everything haha. If they're keeping it true to Red then they won't have much strong stuff to work with regardless, but still :p

Jumpleet

Rise Above The Rest
Years
Red to me seems a tad underpowered if you alreay know what you are going to see. His Pokemon sould be in the high 80s, and maybe for kicks have a random team of fully evolved pokemon, just so he becomes that mega-obstacle he is if you don't know what he uses.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think it was a fair challenge. Even though for me, he was probably the most difficult trainer in the games, it was a challenge that was worth completing.

I second this. I think it was fair enough, besides, it's not like we're gonna do anything serious after beating him. He's the biggest boss, yeah.

Back