• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No Internet/Facebook?

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2022
Ash keeps making new friends, and in the same episodes they say their final goodbyes. Don't have internet or mobile phones in their world or what? They have highly advanced PokéBalls, PokéDex, teleporation technology...and they don't have facebook? Or maybe, PokéBook :p

It's stupid that he keeps no contact of his new friends. :/

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
lol nice. But, you're speaking of an anime here. Such things SHALL NOT BE FOCUSED ON I guess. What you shall care about is the plot, development, and such things...In other words, The characters personal relations are NON of you business :P

They do not add any significance BTW, When you watch them, you might question "Why Did they add such thing?". Though if by your suggestion you mean he keeps touch with them such that they will reappear again, then that's ok I guess.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
You can say this about any television program, animated or not, that keeps a revolving cast of characters, doubly so when they're the "character of the episode".

Once you've written out a character, unless they're specifically returning for a guest appearance in an episode (Which would obviously revolve around them in part), it's pointless to keep bringing them back up in limited roles which involves getting the voice or physical actors back in to record scenes when you're supposed to be writing a show about the current cast of characters.

For all intents and purposes they no longer exist because they aren't real people.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
During Best Wishes I always wonder, when either Iris, Dent or Ash are separated from each other, "why don't they just call each other on their Xtransceivers?".

Disko_Rock

Pokémon Therapist
Years
He makes a new friend every episode. He's just too damn sociable. If he were to keep up with them, they'd be as many contacts as episodes.

I guess it's only why they really keep in touch with more influential characters that make recurring appearances

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2022
Well it's not like his friends have to keep meeting him or they've to show this on the show that they are talking. But while leaving, atleast they could exchange contacts, so that we know that they are being practical and are in contact, even if they don't show this part in anime!

Like Ash keeps calling Prof. Oak or his mother whenever he wants. Maybe he can take such numbers for stationary people. And for other trainers like that, well, maybe that "Xtransceivers" as Keiran777 mentioned (I don't know much about it. Just read on bulbapedia. It seems exactly what I was talking about.)

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
By doing that you're creating the set-up, and the expectation that exchanging contact details with someone will result in them showing up again later on.

If they don't it's completely pointless to have put that in the first place and is quite bad writing practice for a cartoon or other TV show were characters' actions are supposed to have a reason and a consequence later on.

If they do we get back to this problem of writing for unnecessary characters instead of the people who are already there.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
Years
LOL, pokebook. What a brilliant idea. XD

What about that phone chat screen thing that Ash uses to talk to the professors with in the Pokemon Centers? That's a phone. But I think they have email. I've heard them mentioned emailing some of the "new friends" they made in the past, and met up with them. Sometimes they get to see those random people they meet, again. And they do it through email. ashketchum_pkmn_mstr@ gmail.com HAHA.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Actually, they used a sort of Facebook thing for the Sinnoh Pokemon league to look up people's Pokemon :P I think he used a similar thing in the Johto one, possibly others, but I forget. I remember that Gary's page crashed his computer (of course).

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Well we don't have Pokéballs and teleportation technology either lol, right? Think about it.

And those are just things that'd mess with the line of the story, imo.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2022
Well we don't have Pokéballs and teleportation technology either lol, right? Think about it.

And those are just things that'd mess with the line of the story, imo.

My point with that was, they have even advanced technology.

And hey, who says we don't have teleportation. Scientists have successfully teleported molecules from one place to another...just they're trying for bigger objects now, and then humans ;)

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Well it's not like his friends have to keep meeting him or they've to show this on the show that they are talking. But while leaving, atleast they could exchange contacts, so that we know that they are being practical and are in contact, even if they don't show this part in anime!

Like Ash keeps calling Prof. Oak or his mother whenever he wants. Maybe he can take such numbers for stationary people. And for other trainers like that, well, maybe that "Xtransceivers" as Keiran777 mentioned (I don't know much about it. Just read on bulbapedia. It seems exactly what I was talking about.)
I don't see what they would keep up with COTD when we haven't seen any contact with him and his buddy from Indigo League Richie, or any other prior somewhat important characters. Like Mega Shock said, it would seem like bad writing trying to revisit all these characters. I think it would inhibit forward movement if they constantly get calls or whatever contact with prior Character of the Days. Xtransceivers have been shown, like with Trip in BW010 "A Rival Battle for Club Champion!", but I don't remember seeing anyone with the Group using one. If he was going to keep in contact with people I'd like to see him keep in contact with Brock and Misty. For me why revisit characters that are of minor importance when he hasn't even been shown to revisit his own Pidgeot.

Actually, they used a sort of Facebook thing for the Sinnoh Pokemon league to look up people's Pokemon :P I think he used a similar thing in the Johto one, possibly others, but I forget. I remember that Gary's page crashed his computer (of course).
I believe it was essentially just a battle profile thing for the league. Which showned all the registered pokemon and that was the extent to it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2022
As I said in post #6, they don't have to to show it to us that they are meeting him frequently, or they're talking on phone or texting. Just if they show they exchange their contact details while leaving, we know that they'd be communicating in their free time.

Again, they don't need to show this to us. It's for us to understand.

But right now the situation is that, they all are really very sad while leaving and saying godbye. Which surely means that they're aware this is their last talk and not even sure they'll ever be able to ever meet again or not.

For example, today I watched the Jirachi Wishmaker movie. Ash told Max that his friend (Misty probably) had to leave her but he she's always with him in her heart, and he never forgets him. Well, he can just text her quite oftenly, talking about what happened. Afterall, they've been together for a lot of seasons :P

As I said in post #6, they don't have to to show it to us that they are meeting him frequently, or they're talking on phone or texting. Just if they show they exchange their contact details while leaving, we know that they'd be communicating in their free time.

Again, they don't need to show this to us. It's for us to understand.

But right now the situation is that, they all are really very sad while leaving and saying godbye. Which surely means that they're aware this is their last talk and not even sure they'll ever be able to ever meet again or not.

For example, today I watched the Jirachi Wishmaker movie. Ash told Max that his friend (Misty probably) had to leave her but he she's always with him in her heart, and he never forgets him. Well, he can just text her quite oftenly, talking about what happened. Afterall, they've been together for a lot of seasons :P

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
They could have something like "facebook," but I don't see how any of those will be relevant to the story anytime soon.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2022
Let's just assume that those guys did exchanged contact details with everyone, but they didn't shows this to us in the anime, to save time...lol :P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
They probably do video chat because Ash tend to Video chat with the professor, Ash probably does most of his chatting with his newly encountered friends behind close doors. To sum it up, Ash's way of communicating should not be focused on in the anime in my opinion because if so, the anime would get even more sidetracked

:t354:TG

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
Good point to bring up, but it wouldn't be very relevant to the plot. After all, a new season means a new character...

Halcyon

peace and serenity
Years
Lmao, I love your post, thread starter! XD

I don't think Ash has the time to do that since he'd be constantly moving from places to places all the time, unless he has a mobile device to surf the Internet or something, lol. But then again, I think he'd rather concentrate on his training.

Last edited:

kuzronk

Banned
Years
They got the Xtransceivers and Pokégear to video chat/chat like a mobile phone

During Best Wishes I always wonder, when either Iris, Dent or Ash are separated from each other, "why don't they just call each other on their Xtransceivers?".
Dent might not have one because he's not a full trainer and they don't want to give iris goal so fast

Back