• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ew! It's a girl.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I would feel weird having a female Machamp...but on my LeafGreen team I've got female: Charmeleon, Butterfree, Pikachu, Clefairy, Kadabra. Kadabra looks kinda weird because of her moustache-like parts but I'm actually becoming more likely to use a female pokémon. I have only one male in that team - Nidoran, because Nidoqueen's the defensive one.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
I'll admit that I am actually quite sexist when it comes to Pokemon, I search for male Pokemon and if a female Pokemon comes up, I'll run. However, if it's an only-gender species like Tauros and Miltank, then I want to catch it, regardless of it's gender.

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
Years
Even though I'm a girl myself, I tend to use more male Pokemon than female Pokemon, honestly. I don't mean to, I just find way more males than females. Maybe it's because I use the male character in all of my games?

I'm cursed!

*cries in a corner*

*~Maelstrom~*

Years
Overall, I don't care about gender, since the vast majority of Pokemon I catch are for filling the Pokedex and nothing more. (I do try to catch one of each gender if there are major differences between the two, or an evolution is only available to one gender). However, I did soft-reset my Snivy, Tirtouga, Kabuto, and Aerodactyl, as well as the Eevee you get from Bill in HGSS, but only because females are so much rarer. I did actually want a female Eevee though since I had already envisioned using a female Espeon, who I plan to use in my all-female future team (I don't actually prefer using females over males normally, though, it's just because I'm naming them all after flowers...not that I have any particular problem naming a male after a flower though, tbh).

I have thought about making a team of male Pokemon that look feminine, just for kicks and giggles. I have always thought it weird though that Pokemon like Machamp and Mr. Mime can be female, and that they don't just change Gardevoir to female-only since Gallade is male-only. :/

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
if its a Ralts it must be a female unless i want gallade but with ordinary pokemon that look the same like onix it must be a male.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
I used to be like this (catch only male) until I find it tiresome to keep stressing over what gender I am catching and just go with what gender I .

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I use any gender. Unless the poke had to be a certain gender to evolve then I try for catch that specific gender of course. But other then that, it doesn't matter to me what gender.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I completely understand that there are a male and female version of most Pokémon regardless of how they look because that's just how living things work. I also understand how in the Pokémon world some Pokémon are genderless because of their unique appearance or origin. What I don't understand is when there's a Pokémon that has each sex being a different Pokémon, yet one can be both sexes. For example, Ralts evolves into Kirlia, and then finally into Gardevoir. If it's male and is exposed to the Dawn Stone, it evolves into Gallade. Now Gallade is clearly the male version of a fully evolved Ralts and can only be male. Gardevoir however is clearly the female version, yet it can be male as well! I just find that a bit silly. I think it's neat that some Pokémon actually have different Pokémon to represent the sex, but it should be done more realistically. A male Kirlia should just automatically evolve into Gallade without a stone and a female into Gardevoir, which should not have a male counterpart because there already is one. Just a thought.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
I dont care if my pokemon is a girl or a boy. I will take it with open hands. howefver despite being a male myslef I perfer female pokemn. Why? breeeding of course. I love breeding pokmeon.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I'm not really fussed about genders on pokemon. The only thing is I like having an equal balance on my team. It makes my team feel more well rounded.

I had a female conkeldurr during pokemon white and I really liked her. There are female bodybuilders so I don't see a problem.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
You could say that I don't really care. However, if it looks more male/female-ish, I will commonly go for that gender, :3~
Yeah. But there have been times where I have not wanted female Pokémon at all, I wanted an all-male team, hehe :3;

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Somewhat. When it is a Pokémon I really like or is on my top list of all time favourite Pokémons,
I'd choose a specific gender for that matter.

Ralts > Female
Mawile > Female
Arcanine > Male
Floatzel > Male, and so forth.

When i'm lookin' for Pokémons just to trying to complete the Pokédex with no means of using later on then I don't really care about the gender.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I don't care about gender for any Pokemon, except when I don't have a Ditto handy and I need a female for breeding purposes. I nickname all of my Pokemon, and I like thinking of names that are more suitable for male vs. female.

I actually even like having gender bender Pokemon, it's fun to think of names for them. I have a male Lopunny named Lola, after this song. The one that DOES bother me a little is Mr. Mime (just because of the male prefix in the species name) but I still have a lady Mr. Mime in my current playthrough named Charade.

PureAurorae

Comrade
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 17, 2013
Lol this reminded me of something.

When I was younger, I just had a thing for only catching only Male pokemon. I don't know why because gender's don't really matter in terms of stats but now I don't really care. Infact I actually have more Female pokemon nowdays.

Years
If it's a Pokemon with an obvious male design, like Machop/Machoke/Machamp, then I'll only use it if it's a male. But every time I use something like say, Espeon or Jigglypuff, they need to be female, lol. Most of the time I use males, though.

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
I was a Pokemon Sexist when i was starting to get into it,but now,I don't care what gender they are.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
When I was younger, I don't think I cared about genders too much... It helped that most Pokemon I caught were male (which I thought made sense due to the Pokemon designs), so I think I was briefly indifferent...

However, I shifted from that mindset very, very quickly. XD The first Pokemon that I can recall in which I wanted a specific gender was Sableye, because it just seemed female to me. Nowadays, as I am quite particular regarding the attributes of my Pokemon (Ability, Nature, adequate or flawless Stats, Location Caught, Gender, etc.), gender is yet another thing that I focus on.

I think gender is the only attribute where I don't breed for it competitively, but more aesthetically (as the only real competitive uses of gender involve Attract/Red Thread~Destiny Knot/infatuation and the Rivalry Ability, which seem to be infrequent when compared to the myriad of moves and abilities available... You can hardly predict what a foe's Pokemon's genders will be, although most gender ratios seem to lean towards male Pokemon being more dominant/widespread). This makes it all the more annoying when breeding...it's hard enough to breed competitively; gender seems like it should be the easiest thing to breed for considering there are technically just two options excluding genderless Pokemon, but non-"50% Male & 50% Female" gender ratios add their own spin on things.

Most Pokemon seem male to me, although there are some that I firmly think are female. As a result, I catch/breed Pokemon and intend to have their gender match whatever gender I think the Pokemon design aligns with... I haven't thought about it much, but I think I would actually be willing to forgo a competitively-sound Pokemon that has the wrong gender. XD

Genderless Pokemon are a mixed bag for me...on one hand, the gender can't really "contradict" the design, so I don't have to worry about this factor when breeding as it'll always be the same (and I can just 'imagine' the icon of the preferred gender next to the Pokemon's name). On the other hand, it sucks when a genderless Pokemon seems like it should have a defined gender but doesn't (i.e., Groudon being male, Articuno being female). I feel that there ARE Pokemon that literally look genderless and/or androgynous, though (Lugia, Ho-Oh, Staryu, etc.), although the anime depictions tend to sway my thinking a lot (this mostly applies to Lugia...it looks genderless to me, but the Pokemon The Movie 2000: The Power of One movie gave it a masculine voice, so nowadays it slightly seems more masculine to me) .
I refuse to waste a name character slot on the "♂/♀" icon for genderless Pokemon because the battle text (and other places where a Pokemon's name is used) just looks stupid when the Pokemon is sent out for battle with its gender as 'part' of its name (i.e., "Go! Blaziken/Blazer!" can be used when I have a male Blaziken with the ♂ symbol properly displaying in the "HP box", yet I have to endure witnessing "Go! Metagross[S-HIGHLIGHT]♂[/S-HIGHLIGHT]!" if I wanted a 'male' Metagross). Nidoran is a special case because the gender icon has been used as part of its name from the beginning (unless you nickname it?) rather than being indicated separately by the colored gender icons (oddly enough, I wouldn't mind seeing un-nicknamed Nidoran♂ as "Nidoran♂♂" in the "HP Box", with the second '♂' being properly colored blue).

One of my biggest fears with Shiny Pokemon is that the gender will be the only attribute that I dislike (for instance, I'd dislike a shiny female Machoke with flawless stats, Adamant Nature, and a good Ability, simply because Machoke should be male IMO). In this case, I'd still keep the Shiny Pokemon (because I mean, c'mon, it's a freaking SHINY!
20.%20boogie.gif
Gender is much easier to reset for than Shiny Pokemon any day), although I probably will always be thinking "I wish it were male..." whenever I look at its properties/attributes. Emerald Version provides me with an interesting ordeal, as if you're PRNG-ing for Shiny Pokemon, certain frames during certain methods will only yield specific Shininess/gender combinations dependent on your Secret ID and the gender ratio of the Pokemon you encountered IIRC (i.e., Frame X0000 might be a frame that ALWAYS gives you a shiny female Golbat). I'd still probably be bugged by the 'wrong' genders, but since I typically don't use Shiny Pokemon as my main battling Pokemon for a particular Pokemon species, Shininess supersedes "preferred gender" for me.

As for nicknames, most of my Pokemon's nicknames are gender-neutral, so the nickname doesn't matter much. Usually, the Pokemon design factors into the nickname anyway, so this is not largely an issue for me.

For utility Pokemon (i.e., Pokemon used for a specific HM), I usually don't care about the gender, but usually the gender matches whatever I would've preferred anyway. As for "scapegoat Pokemon"/Pokemon being traded away so I can receive another Pokemon (i.e., catching a random Seedot in Emerald to trade it away for a newly-received-from-Professor-Birch Mudkip from another person's Sapphire Version save file), this is the one scenario where I don't care about gender AT ALL.

Hahaha how is that going for you? It would take forever to hatch them what with the 90:10 male to female ratio. How many eggs did you have to hatch to get 7 females???

Wow, um, that's unsettling to hear. XD Most of the Eeveelutions (save Umbreon) look like females to me (WTF? That scarf-ish fur thing clearly makes Eevee looks feminine, Game Freak! T_T), so that's gonna be a lot of breeding for me... Sigh...I hate it when gender ratios work against me like that (as opposed to most starter Pokemon - the majority of them look male to me, so I appreciate the 87.5%Male/12.5% Female ratio in that case). It seems that gender ratios are in place to make it harder to breed for specific Pokemon species (like starters) and Hidden Abilities (since those are determined by Females), but when Ditto is available, the restriction via gender ratio seems pointless.

Oh yeah. I got a problem with those, if pokemon look male but are female, then it bugs me. I mean c'mon you gotta admit this would freak you out if you saw it.

Spoiler:

0_O

But despite my personal tastes, I don't waste a usable Pokemon. While I wouldn't hesitate to release a box full of Magikarp; I would feel bad doing so with a box full of a less common, and/or annoying, Pokemon like Spinda. I especially feel responsible for finding good homes for all of them if I catch too many for my needs while grinding for shiny Pokemon. I once spent a week trading off a box full chaff Pokemon that I didn't want cluttering up my storage on the GTS. I was surprised they were valued at all, but the GTS is a worldwide place and somebody wanted them.

I ended up with essentially a box of Bidoof which I feel better about releasing into the wild than I did the other Pokemon.

D'aawwww...
13.%20love.gif

I completely understand that there are a male and female version of most Pokémon regardless of how they look because that's just how living things work. I also understand how in the Pokémon world some Pokémon are genderless because of their unique appearance or origin. What I don't understand is when there's a Pokémon that has each sex being a different Pokémon, yet one can be both sexes. For example, Ralts evolves into Kirlia, and then finally into Gardevoir. If it's male and is exposed to the Dawn Stone, it evolves into Gallade. Now Gallade is clearly the male version of a fully evolved Ralts and can only be male. Gardevoir however is clearly the female version, yet it can be male as well! I just find that a bit silly. I think it's neat that some Pokémon actually have different Pokémon to represent the sex, but it should be done more realistically. A male Kirlia should just automatically evolve into Gallade without a stone and a female into Gardevoir, which should not have a male counterpart because there already is one. Just a thought.

I agree with how male Kirlia (LOL, it's so weird how, IMO, Ralts looks masculine, Kirlia looks feminine, and then it goes right back to being masculine if you make it become a Gallade) should automatically evolve into Gallade without the need of a stone... Game Freak is probably trying to provide an explanation for while male Gardevoir exist (as Gallade was introduced in Generation 4, while Ralts, Kirlia, and Gardevoir all debuted in Generation 3) - Dawn Stones simply weren't 'widespread' in Hoenn. I'd much prefer it if all male Gardevoir were just automatically converted to Gallade when you migrate them from Generation 3; then we wouldn't need all of this "Dawn Stone" nonsense (the concept works well for other Pokemon, just not for the Ralts line) for Kirlia. The gender distribution for the Ralts line just looks weird now...male Gallade (logically), female Gardevoir (logically), male Gardevoir (huh?). -_- I really wish the Ralts line was either postponed to Generation 4 like Shellos/Gastrodon were, or Gallade was thought of earlier when Generation 3 was being made... You done goofed a bit there, Gen 3. :/

In any case, "wrong-gendered" foes (like female Machamp or male Milotic) are interesting to fight against, as they add a bit of variety. (i.e, MY Milotic will be female, so it'll be a sight to see it taking down male Milotic). It's so weird that such a little attribute in a Pokemon game has me thinking about it so much. XD

tl;dr: For male-looking Pokemon, I catch males of that species. For female-looking Pokemon, I catch females of that species. For genderless Pokemon, I 'imagine' whatever gender icon applies next to the Pokemon's name. "Wrong-gender" Shiny Pokemon bug me, but I'd rather have the Shiny status since it's harder to generate. Utility Pokemon tend to have their genders match the Pokemon design. I don't care about the genders of "scapegoat Pokemon" at all. I'm probably going to cry when I begin breeding for female Eeveelutions...
4.%20cry.gif
All Gardevoir should be female; male Kirlia should evolve into Gallade without the need for a Dawn Stone (similarly, all Froslass should be female without the need for a stone. Glalie actually works as either gender for me, though I perceive it more as a male because, Froslass).

Additionally:
1. The "trend" with NPCs having mono-gender-Pokemon to match their own gender (like Wallace, who is male, battling with all male Pokemon) bugs me mainly when it involves "contradictory Pokemon" (i.e., Wallace has a male Milotic, though Milotic looks more like a female in my opinion).

2. The Battle Factory (at least Hoenn's) can be quite surprising when it assigns gender ratios to Pokemon. There have been times I've had a team full of male-looking female Pokemon, female-looking male Pokemon, and mixtures of the sort. Oh, and female Tyranitar tend to kick butt for some reason. XD (Tyranitar looks male to me, but I keep on thinking of them as female due to that rampaging one from the Johto-centric era of the Pokemon anime...)

3. The thing where Pokemon "evolve into the opposite gender" (male-looking Ralts to female-looking Kirlia) bugs me to no end. @_@ And then there's the Marill line, where this happens literally. XD For the record, Azurill and Marill look male to me, though Azumarill seems androgynous.

4. Oh, and thank goodness none of the gender-locked ratios (like all Chansey being female) haven't been "wrong" yet (i.e., a Pokemon that LOOKS male IMO but is always coded to be female...that will be the day). >.<

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 13, 2024
Though I usually prefer a mostly male team, I sometimes make my team 3 male 3 female. I do agree that some pokemon only make sense for a certain gender, like Mawile and the Gothitelle line being female and the Machamp line being male, but other than that gender for the rest of my pokemon don't matter that much.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
I always want female Pokemon. However, I don't typically reset for a female starter. I wish starters and Eevee were 50/50, because it's annoying that I rarely get a female one. Especially considering the fact that Eevee's evolutions don't look very masculine to me. =/

Back