• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Glossary of TCG Terms! Add Your Terms Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Here are some terms/abbreviations in no particular order:

TCG: Trading Card Game

Donk: Your active Pokemon gets a knock out on the first turn on the Defending Pokemon and they have no Pokemon left on the bench. (Getting Donk-ed or Getting a Donk.)

Active Pokemon: The Pokemon you are using to attack or take damage.

Defending Pokemon: The opponent's Active Pokemon.

DCE: Double Colorless Energy.

Format: A particular set period of time when cards from particular sets are legal for tournament play.

Sniping: When a Pokemon's attack deals damage to particular benched Pokemon.

Mulligan: When you draw 7 cards and draw no basic Pokemon in your opening hand.

Opening Hand: The first 7 cards you draw to start the game !

Unlimited Format: When you can play ALL cards printed in a particular deck.

Modified Format: When certain sets are restricted from play due to rotation or through an agreement with said players choice.
Examples: "No Base Set cards allowed"
"Black and White on wards format"

Tournament Format: The sets which are allowed to be used in tournaments due to rotations.

Wiff/Wiffing: A term used to describe when you play a card and it does not go your way.
Examples: "I got a tails on a crushing hammer and I needed that to by time and prevent my opponent from attacking !"
"I got tails on a Super Scoop up ! Now I'm stuck with this Pokemon in my Active position"
"I played a Professor Juniper to draw a fresh hand of 7 cards, but I did not draw the Double Colorless energy I needed for my Mewtwo EX to attack that turn !"

Catcher/Catchered: Short for the use of a "Pokemon Catcher."
Example: "I drew a catcher and decided to catcher out his Mewtwo EX for the revenge KO !"

KO: Knock Out

OHKO: One Hit Knock Out

Revenge: To knock out an opponent's Pokemon after you lost a Pokemon to a Knock out yourself.

Deck out: When you or your opponent have no cards left to draw from your deck.
Examples: "I decked out my opponent using Devour with Durrant!"

Basic: Short for "Basic Pokemon."

Scrub: A term which is very general to describe "a bad player" or not making the top cut of a tournament(s).

Rotation: When particular sets become no longer tournament legal.

Jank: An opinionated term used to describe card(s) that are considered worthless and not worthy of current tournament play.

X-X-X: Pokemon line ups used to describe basic, stage 1 and stage 2 evolution line.
Example: "I run a 4-2-4 of Charizard. So 4 Charmander, 2 Charmeleon, 4 Charizard"
"I run a 2-2 Blissy line. So 2 Chansey and 2 Blissy"

Tech: A single copy of a card which is down to the personal preference of the player.
"I run a tech copy of 'Tool Scrapper' as I can search it out with Skyla if I need it."

Top deck: A term used to describe when a player is drawing the card(s) he needs.
Example:"I only had 1 card in hand and then I top decked the Professor Juniper ! Yes ! A fresh hand of 7 cards !"
"I top decked the Pokemon Catcher to catcher out his damaged EX to take my last 2 prizes for game !"

Meta or Meta-game: A term used to describe what cards are recently being played in current tournaments.

Net-decking: A term used to describe copying and building a deck exactly card for card from a deck list source.

Damage Counter: A damage counter represents 10 damage in Pokemon TCG.
Example: Put 2 damage counters on the defending Pokemon (put 20 damage on the defending Pokemon.)

Pulling: A term used to describe when you open a booster pack.
"I just pulled a Mewtwo EX from a next destinies pack !"

Sneak Peak: Also known as a Pre-release.

Pre-release: An event organised by Play Pokemon which allows you to open booster packs and play a special event which involves using cards from the latest set to be released.

POP: Pokemon Organised Play

Mill or Milling: A term which originated from MTG (Magic the Gathering) of sending cards from your opponents deck or your deck to the graveyard.
Example: "I had 4 Durant in play and used the attack 'Devour' to mill 4 cards from my opponent's deck to the discard pile."

Last edited:
Years
Counter: A card which can be used to deal with a threat, strategically - i.e for deck building purposes.
Example: In general Terrakion NVI counters Darkrai EX.

Out: A card which can be used to deal with a threat, tactically - i.e when you are playing against someone, so dependent on the situation.
Example: Terrakion is an out to Darkrai EX but if Darkrai EX holds Eviolite, then Terrakion EX is no longer an out.

Check: A card which makes an opponent unwilling to commit another card to the field.
Example: Landorus EX would make an opponent unwilling to bench Dark Deino.

Failed search: When someone plays a search card and does not search anything out. Can be done with or without intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back