• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Painful Truth or Comforting Lie?

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
Would you rather be told the painful truth or be lied to to be comforted? I would rather just take the painful truth because the comforting lie is still a lie. However painful it may be its better to just hear the truth. Would you lie to spare someone's feeling?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Give it to me bluntly. I hate butt-pattery.
I would rarely lie to hurt someone's feelings but sometimes it's necessary based on opinion. For example.. I don't think babies are particularly attractive, but I feel it wrong to say "your baby is ugly" since.. well.. what's that going to accomplish? They're obviously happy about their baby so I say "What a beautiful baby" so I can share in their happiness. In a sense life is a beautiful thing, so IMO it's not really lying.

If someone asks me their opinion on an art piece, and then they get whiny because I give them a constructive critique WITHOUT telling them "It looks great" it really annoys me. Don't ask for a critique if you're just looking for someone to stroke your ego.

Yeah that's what I have to say on the matter.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I want to know the truth. Lying does not help me or benefit me in anyway, more than likely, I'll eventually find out it's a lie anyway, and I appreciate it when people are honest, I'd be honest back. Yes, sometimes the truth hurts, but lies hurt more.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I prefer the truth. Sure, it might sting a bit, but I still would rather know what they truly think. If that means being told that they hate me, that's fine. [:

Sirfetch’d

Just tell me the truth because in the end it is more likely to help me with my problem anyways.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The truth. Much like breaking up with someone, the band aid approach is always best.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I'd definitely prefer a really hurtful truth. This way, you may have your feelings hurt, but at least you know what's up and can try to get past it. Time heals all wounds they say, so the sooner you know the truth, the sooner you can get back on your feet!

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
Painful truth of course...i don't like to live in a lie

i'm a person who likes to move forward in their life..maybe sometimes some truths are painful but i know that i'm strong enough to handle hard situations...i don't like when people lie to me ..i feel i'm not worthy to them to know the truth.

Muani

miau
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
I'd say Painful Truth. But most things do not upset me, so maybe I will not call it 'painful' if I find out.

I hate being lied to.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
The majority of the time, I'd rather take the painful truth to face it then and there, but there are some sensitive areas that I would prefer a comforting lie. I'll get over being lied to when the truth comes out since I'm generally understanding and "I didn't want to hurt you" is something I would probably believe if it was something I would prefer to have a lie told to me rather than face the truth sooner anyway.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
The truth will set you free, and at the same time it hurts. We will learn from our mistakes if we know the truth. But sometimes I had to lie to cover up someone or myself, and surprisingly I don't feel guilty about it.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Usualy I prefer the honest-dream,killing-cold truth over the beautiful lie. Although sometimes I do wish lies would be reality... And I usualy try to think which one is better at the moment..a lie..or the truth.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I can take the truth head-on, no problem. I really can't tolerate lies of any kind.

What else do I need to say?

Years
I'd really rather have the truth than a lie. I might feel better with a lie for the time being, but if I ever find out that it was a lie - yeah, that will hurt me far more than the horrid truth ever would.

So yeah, give me the truth over a lie, anyday.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
From my close friends, if it is about very crushing topics then the painful truth is always the right thing to me. It will hurt, of course, but I know that when they tell me, they will make the crash as soft as possible. Brutal, vulnerable honesty is the most important thing I could wish from a friend.

If they're strangers and they feel a sudden urge to uninvitedly critique me about something that they can clearly see me thoroughly enjoying and sincerely being happy with, then...yeah...comforting lies are appropriate here.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I'd rather face the truth instead of facing the consequences of lying (I mean, if you get caught lying). I prefer the truth, I would have more respect for the person, otherwise lying would make me loose trust and maybe friendship with the person lying - after getting caught.

Years
I guess the truth. If I know the truth, I can at least attempt to heal and move on. Better to get it done and over with. I'm sure I'd prefer the beautiful lie, but it's best to know the real story.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Give me the painful truth, but break it to me gently. I don't like bluntness, I find it a very unattractive quality and I find it really hard to deal with on the spot.

Back