• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best HM move

Totodilesteel99

Lord of Awesomeness
Years
Waterfall, would be my favorite because it is awesome on Pokémon like Feraligatr and Gyarados.
Surf, is good on Empoleon and Blastoise.
And on Starmie, Vaporeon and Swanna.
I prefer, Physical based Water Types.
And i like Fly, on Swanna and Pidgeot.
My favorites would be Fly, Surf and Waterfall.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Defog! I like Flash personally, I love tricky moves like that which reduce accuracy and it lets Pokémon like Magnemite etc that can't learn Sand-Attack get some more tactical moves. Obviously Flash is banned in competitive battling though, so when it comes to competitive I'll definitely say Surf. It's the only HM that really gets used in competitive battling other than sometimes Waterfall and there's a good reason for this haha. It's mostly just that the other HMs are outclassed by other moves; Strength has Return, Rock Smash has Brick Break, Fly has one-turn attacks like Drill Peck, etc. It's not that the HM moves are necessarily bad (other than Rock Smash ;p) but they just don't really warrant usage over other moves.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Surf. It's been my favorite HM since the beggining.
And now that Waterfall is physical move, I'm kinda starting to use that one as well.
Other HMs are crappy. Fly would be good if it did not have bad acc :/

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I've never noticed Fly having bad accuracy o_O (assuming that's what you meant by acc). 95% isn't too bad. The only time Fly seems to miss for me is when the opposing Pokémon has done something to either reduce my accuracy or increase its own evasiveness.

Anyway, Fly or Surf would be mine. Both powerful and useful moves in battle (particularly Fly, 'cause if you use it in double battles you can Fly off, then use a move that hits everyone in the field and not hit the one using Fly), and both useful out of battle. Actually, thinking about it, I use Fly way more than Surf outside of battle, and I really do like using it like I described in double battles, so overall I'd say Fly was my favourite. Sometimes I do hate that it extends the battle 'cause it takes two turns, but still.

Ragonkai

Dragon Trainer
Years
Surf is a good attack, Fly not so much but they are both very useful, I think I've used Surf more in battle than Fly but I use Fly more out of battle..hmm.

I'll go with Surf!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I love Surf so much. In battle, its accuracy, its power, its awesome Type coverage are pretty much second-to-none, and out of battle, it allows you to scale the oceans blue and encounter lots of great Water critters! Fly's all well and good, but its lack of accuracy lowers it in my estimations somewhat, and the animation that's used in the modern generations out of battle has a tendency to slow things down unnecessarily. Surf ahoy!

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
There should be a psychic type HM that puts a protective bubble around you.

Out of battle, it would act like repel.
In battle, it would act like substitute.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
My most used HM would probably be Strength, but that's only because I rarely have use a water type. Strength, Surf, and Waterfall the odd time

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
There should be a psychic type HM that puts a protective bubble around you.

Out of battle, it would act like repel.
In battle, it would act like substitute.

Wow, that's a really good idea. It's a pain having to buy repels over and over again.

Also, on topic, IMO Surf is the best HM attack.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
Surf is my favourite HM. It can easily hit a target in battle and it can carry you into the water fast.
Also, the accuracy and attack power of that HM is pretty high, too.

Years
Surf, because it is truly the only HM I ever seriously use to battle throughout the storyline, except for maybe Fly. I also enjoy its move animation as it reminds me of the ocean.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Waterfall because only useful move amirite?
Well, Surf has a place but I'd generally rather use Scald.

Defog is actually quite useful (competitively) since it's Rapid Spin on steroids.

Last edited:

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
Waterfall because only useful move amirite?
Well, Surf has a place but I'd generally rather use Scald.

Defog is actually quite useful (competitively) since it's Rapid Spin on steroids.

No it isn'; Defog removes the hazards from your opponents side [the ones you have set].

Best HM Move is probably Strength since a Normal Physical move is almost always useful if you want some good neutral courage in-game and 80 base power / 100 acc is p nice. Surf is also cool since water-types can get it through the HM before they learn any powerful moves and Hydro Pump isn't exactly the most reliable. Again, 95/100 is really nice.

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
Well, for me, it depends on my water type. If my water is more physical based, then the most useful HM in battle is Waterfall. If its special, then I go for Surf.

Outside of battle though, I'm going to go with surf.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
Wow, that's a really good idea. It's a pain having to buy repels over and over again.

Thank you :)

Probably wouldn't happen though, I think the game developers want us to feel a little frustrated at the game, to keep us addicted. Also, it wouldn't really qualify as a HM, unless perhaps... ok, imagine this:

You're in the early stages of the game, and there are several routes around you. The easiest route is blocked off, but the other route contains powerful wild Pokemon at level 65, impossible to catch with your measly regular Pokeballs and impossible to run from either, so any time you attempt to go down the route, your Pokemon just end up feinting. Then you obtain the HM and can pass through this route unharmed. You know what? It could keep you hidden from trainers as well, or help you sneak into places - a psychic invisibility cloak. Hmm... but then you could just skip past everything too easily, maybe....

This would be a nice way for the game to feel a bit more realistic as well. Rather than having a straightforward path from the weak village to the strong cities, there could be several strong cities that you have to go through, without yet being qualified to challenge the gym leaders there (like the dad in gen III). One for the future, maybe.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
No it isn'; Defog removes the hazards from your opponents side [the ones you have set].
Oh. I thought I was missing something about the description I read... Still, it also removes other things beneficial to the foe; and one can target their ally in double/triple battles to remove hazards from their own side, which would make it good to have if one doesn't have something on their team able to learn Rapid Spin. A shame that competitive is almost entirely single battles.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Competitive should be double battles more often at least. Not too sure about rotation or triple.

Anywaaays, I'm going to have to go with Surf. In-battle it's powerful, good accuracy, and doesn't take two turns in order to attack. The only downside to it is that it hits more than just the opponent during double/triple battles but that's ok. They don't happen too often especially not after you beat the storyline unless you hunt for them.

Outside of battle Surf is used to cross bodies of water. I like to walk/run/bike everywhere so in regions like Hoenn in which you can't get to one side of the map to another without surf (i'm talking to you Route right of Mauville) then surf is a fabulous HM to have with you. There is also getting to Mahogany Town in Johto that pretty much requires surf so it makes that easier as well.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I always loved Rock Smash for the sole purpose of breaking open rocks and finding Pokemon. In battle there was always the defense lowering, but the rock-breaking I thought was cool.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Special attack Surf, Physical attack Waterfall. They're both good HM's and the strongest as well. Strenght's stronger but Surf and Waterfall both got STAB for water Pokemon. Not to mention Waterfall can cause flinching.

Back