• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever used a guide?

Have you ever purchased or used a strategy guide?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No, do not plan to, either

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, but plan to do so in the future

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2013
I've been wondering, have anyone really every bought\used a guide?
I'm not talking about a walkthrough. I'm pretty sure I've used walkthroughs when I was younger.
I'm taking about a strategy guide.
Such as-
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Prima's_Official_Strategy_Guides
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518Wvgg-bUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/n05_0430_emeraldguide.jpg
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y309/chalzferdin/Craigslist/PokemonGoldandSilver.jpg

I've never even heard or seen these until today browsing through youtube.
I think I might buy one, not necessarily a current one, but just for the sake of having one and looking through it.
In fact, you know what, I just might buy a current one, since I don't even know all the Gen IV and Gen V pokemon yet, and haven't fully played through these (yet).

Anyway, what do you guys think of these?
Waste of money? Memorabilia? Useful?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Long ago, back in 2002 I had a Yellow Version Strategy guide, later when Ruby and Sapphire were out, I bought a R/S Primo Strategy Guide. That was the last one though.

Years
When I was younger, I was tempted to get one of those guides for Pokemon Gold when I first got it, but just never got around to it. Sure, I bet there were a few things that I struggled on or didn't quite know about at the time, but I still managed to get through the entire game just fine without one. And by the time that Ruby/Sapphire came out, I had easy access to the internet, so I never even considered getting one of those guides at that point.

Having the guides as collector's items does intrigue me a little bit more, though, and makes me wish I would've thought about their value outside of just helping you through the game.

Years
I did use a strategy guide for Ruby & Sapphire (and later Emerald) so far, but that's only one I ever used outside of walkthroughs on the internet. For my 4th and 5th Generation games I resorted to walkthroughs and guides on the internet, Marriland was probably my fave since he provides really accurate information and then there's always his videos I could watch if I was stuck somewhere.

So yeah, I guess you can say I'm the person who uses guides when playing Pokemon games.

Years
I had one that wasn't for a specific game, but it had a pokedex with the game locations of each pokemon in all of the gen 3 games and colosseum/xd. I used it occasionally for the locations but it was mainly just there for collection purposes. I wouldn't buy the same thing now thanks to the ease of finding that out on bulbapedia.

I also had one for battle revolution and I can't think of any reason why, it might be the pokemon game were you need the least strategy. I don't think I used it at all, but at least it looked nice.

I'm never planning to buy one again, their existence is no longer necessary.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I have nearly an entire shelf of Prima strategy guides for Pokemon games. Mostly because when I was playing the games when they first came out, the Internet wasn't as readily accessible as it is now and it tied up phone lines, so any information had to be looked up in a book. I used those Prima guides so much they fell apart, which isn't that much of a surprise. Especially Crystal and FireRed/LeafGreen. (I had both Prima and Nintendo guides for those games, because the Nintendo one didn't list wild Pokemon locations. Helpful.)

These days, though, the information can be found online. Plus, I tend to play video games a lot more at home, so if I need information about anything or a walkthrough, I can just look it up at the computer. I might still buy one for X/Y, if only because I'll be playing that game at work, where Internet access is a big no-no.

I will say, though, that I am glad I got the limited edition hardcover strategy guide for Black/White when they first came out. It's just a real nice-looking book, and it looks good on the shelf.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I remember using a Firered/Leafgreen guide while playing Firered version, it was very useful actually, I might even buy one for X & Y. I also had a 'Pocket' PokeDex, which was a small book that showed data on all Pokemon up to the 3rd Gen. Movesets, Egg moves, Stats, etc...

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I have a pokemon Snap guide that I only needed to help unlock Rainbow cloud course. I think I have a pokemon Yellow guide that I never used though. A pokemon Colosseum guide as well, and a pokemon Crystal guide that is really in a bad way.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I've never bought one...considered it, perhaps for HgSs because it probably has nice pictures. But the thing is I'd never use it when I first got a game, because much as I hate missing out on a cool pokémon / item, I much prefer to just struggle through the game on my own a couple of times, then check Bulbapedia. (Part of my problem with BW is it's just too easy, I never had to look up anything).

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Never, unless you count Bulbapedia as a strategy guide :p I never even knew of the existence of those kind of books, and they're kinda redundant with so many online websites covering the information we need. I've used maps before to get through caves because I was lazy or got stuck (or didn't care to get flash), and I've used Bulbapedia to find the location of certain Pokemon in certain games, but that's about it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I've just looked and "Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver : The Official Pokemon Johto Guide & Johto Pokedex" is going for £40+ on Amazon! Is this genuinely what they sell for? Definitely never getting one, £40 could buy me 4 music albums, or many other things.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
I used them before back when I wasn't as confident in myself. The last time I used one though was in 2007 when I was still playing Diamond.

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
Years
I'd rather wander into the unknown and play a game without a guide. I rarely get stuck in Pokemon games and when I do, I eventually find my way. I've never bought one and have never been tempted to.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2013
omg I can't believe people actually participate in my first actually thread on the forums :DD

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Nope, how do they look like anyway?

Even if I need someone to help, I always ask my friends for help. Or simply google.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I can remember when I first got Gold Silver and Crystal way back on my Game Boy (yes, I was a spoilt kiddy) I got the G/S and the Crystal guidebooks.. The extent that I used them to I can't say.

I had one for PMD Red Rescue Team too and in spite of that I still never finished the entire game post story and all... *fail*

To those wondering what they look like - the black and white one is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-Version-White-Official/dp/0307890600http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Black-Version-White-Official/dp/0307890600

Back