• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New type(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
So, I was wondering, if there's going to be a new generation, could it be possible that they will add new types? If so, what types would that be? Would they change the type of any existing Pokemon to match the new types? Here are some types I've thought off:
Name: Light
Description: The antagonist of the Dark-type.
Effective against: Dark, Ghost, Psychic (Hard to concentrate when very bright light is bothering you)
Weak against: Light, Grass, Fire (Makes the fire only brighter), Water, Ice
Resistant to: Ghost, Light, Fire (Makes the light only brighter)
Weak to: Dark, Water, Ice, Grass

Name: Air
Description: As opposed to the already existing Flying-type, where attacks are mostly based on the anatomy of birds (Wing attack, Sky Attack, Drill Peck, etc.), Pokemon with this type would be able to perform attacks based on air (or even weather) manipulation (Tornado, Compressed air, stuff like that).
Effective against: Flying (Hard to fly with a strong wind), Fire (Too much wind puts a fire out)
Weak against: Ground, Rock, Water
Resistant to: Flying, Fire
Weak to: Rock, Water, Ground
(I realize this type is similar to the Flying type, but there are some differences).

Name: Diamond
Description: Diamond is the hardest material known to men (Except Nokia 3310). Pokemon with this type would be able to perform extremely strong physical moves, and they'd have a great defense. But their speed and special would be low.
Effective against: Rock, Steel, Ice
Weak against: Fire, Poison, Water
Resistant to: Rock, Steel, Ice, Fighting, Air, Flying
Weak to: Fire, Water

Any thoughts, ideas? (By the way, sorry if there was a thread like this before, I've searched the first 3 pages & couldn't find it)

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
The hardest material known to man is Nintendium. Get yer facts straight!

I highly doubt Game Freak would add any new types up to this point, as there are almost 700 Pokemon.

Also

Light = Psychic
Air = Flying
Diamond = Steel

SO yeaa....

Years
Entirely possibly, highly doubtful. I'm sure by the VI generation if they had intended on adding more types they would have already by now. The only change to typing was the introduction of Steel and Dark types in gen II and there was no change to the current typing of already existing Pokemon.

But you have some good ideas I especially like the Light type, what kind of Pokemon would be light type?
Also why is Diamond weak to Poison?
I think diamond would be more like:
effective against: Rock, Steel, Ice.
Not very effective against: Dark, Grass, Electric, Fire.
Resistant to: Rock, Fighting, Steel, Fire, Flying, Bug.
Weak against: Dark, Ground, Psychic.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The type chart is fine as is. We don't need any new types. Why? Because Psychics were dominating in R/B/Y; later on in G/S/C, the Dark and Steel types were introduced to keep Psychics in check.

@Plasmette: Diamond kind of ties in to Rock (because minerals are associated with Rock types, I guess)

On the other hand, rearranging the type advantages/disadvantages could be useful (like Poison being supereffective against Bug again).

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
The only reason we needed Dark and Steel types was because Psychics were broken in Gen. I. The only thing that was strong against them were Bugs and Ghost. Back then, neither Megahorn nor Shadow Ball existed, which meant there were practically no good moves that were super effective against Psychic. Not to mention that not only were bugs weak and ghosts rare, but most of the Gen. I bugs and all of the Gen I. ghosts were part Poison, which was weak to Psychic. Plus, Diamond sort of fits into Rock and Steel. Light would be an interesting shake to the metagame (Considering how Psychic, Ghost, and Dark don't even mingle with types such as Grass, Water, and Fire.) Air seems to be unique, but somewhat pointless since moves like Whirlwind, Gust, and Hurricane are already Flying-type.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The only reason we needed Dark and Steel types was because Psychics were broken in Gen. I.

Psychics were Immune to Ghost Type attacks in Generation 1. Psychic and Dragon were the two greatest Types in the game. Only thing Psychic Pokemon really feared was Leech Life. Only Pokemon I remember that learned it that Wasn't part Poison was Paras. So Paras was the only Pokemon that could effectively defeat a Psychic Type Generation 1.

There are actually some pretty good reasons as to why they never added a light type. Biggest one being association with Religion. There is enough controversy in Pokemon that they didn't need to open that can of worms.

Dark's Relation to light would also be screwed up because Dark Type =/= Bad or Evil despite translated names. Dark Type Pokemon fight dirty that's pretty much it and all Dark Type attacks are cheap attacks that would be considered Illegal in Human fighting tournaments.

I don't follow the Psychic is Pokemon's Light as there are some pretty contraversal Psychic types there as well, some just would not fit with the "Light" general view.

Air and Flying are pretty much the same thing. Not all Flying attacks are bird based and there are a good number of wind based attacks in Flying category. There are three or four that I know right off the top that are in other categories, but generally Flying is Pokemon's representation of Air.

Diamond...That's hard to place. Steel and Rock come to mind, but given the general look of Diamond, I'd actually say Ice fits it pretty good as well. Ice can be made harder than steel when refrozen like the ice that makes up the Northern parts of the world.

I can't say we should expect any new types in the future either. I mean if we would have gotten some it would have been with B/W. If they do add more types however, I don't expect the type chart to remain how it currently is. They'd re-balance it like they did in Generation 2 when they added Dark and Steel types.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
But you have some good ideas I especially like the Light type, what kind of Pokemon would be light type?
Also why is Diamond weak to Poison?
I think diamond would be more like:
effective against: Rock, Steel, Ice.
Not very effective against: Dark, Grass, Electric, Fire.
Resistant to: Rock, Fighting, Steel, Fire, Flying, Bug.
Weak against: Dark, Ground, Psychic.

Diamond would be weak against Poison for the same reason Fighting is weak against it. Something hard hitting Poison wouldn't really damage it much, since Poison is basically either gas or liquid. Striking gas or liquid, no matter how hard the strike is, wouldn't have much effect on it.

Also, Light-type would have some awesome laser attacks, making it less similar to Psychic.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Don't see it happening, tbh for a few reasons. The type changes in second gen were just to balance things out (and they were badly broken then; now things are more or less alright). Sure, there's some minor problems but they're not too bad, and they wouldn't want to risk making it worse now when it works more or less fine these days.

Plus back then only a couple moves and one previous line of Pokemon changed in typing (Magnemite). Now with 700 Pokemon and over a decade of established canon if they changed a type then older Pokemon would likely be changed too; they'd essentially be changing something just like that. Then there's issues too; what Pokemon would you change? Say there was a Light type; would Lanturn fit that? if so, it's already Water/Electric - what goes away then? Diamond - a bunch of Pokemon could fit that (heck, Sableye has gems in it; but then what about it and its Dark/Ghost typing?)

And as said, if they wanted new types then it probably would have been implemented eariler. And as for Light again; gen five was the perfect time for them to put it in. Think about it; Zekrom and Reshiram could have been Dragon and Dark/Light respectively, coupling nicely with the ying/yang basis they have. Instead they didn't go with it, so hence I doubt there's any want from Game Freak's part to put it in.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The only reason I wouldn't be completely averse to new typings would be to help types like Grass and Poison become more on the same page as some of the more popular types. That definitely doesn't need creating additional types (a rejigging of the current strengths/weaknesses would to) but it would be fairly easy way to do it. As has been said, the Gen I Psychic barrier has been developed, and there aren't really many overpowered types when it comes to offense.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Diamond would be weak against Poison for the same reason Fighting is weak against it. Something hard hitting Poison wouldn't really damage it much, since Poison is basically either gas or liquid. Striking gas or liquid, no matter how hard the strike is, wouldn't have much effect on it.

Also, Light-type would have some awesome laser attacks, making it less similar to Psychic.

Fighting isn't weak to Poison. Poison does normal damage to Fighting types. Fighting types are only weak to Psychics and Flying types. No it really wouldn't make sense for Diamond who is associated with either Rock or Steel which neither are weak to poison either.

As for Light, There are light based attacks in Normal, Steel, and Grass types. Each of them make sense with where they currently are. You'd be taking a small chunk out of almost all the types if you were to add Light types.

blue

gucci
Years
Adding new types would completely corrupt the whole system, Dark & Steel is understandable but to add more after 12 years just wouldn't seem right.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Fighting isn't weak to Poison. Poison does normal damage to Fighting types. Fighting types are only weak to Psychics and Flying types. No it really wouldn't make sense for Diamond who is associated with either Rock or Steel which neither are weak to poison either.

I think you misunderstood me. Fighting attacks are weak against Poison Pokemon, not the other way around (Fighting does 1/2 damage to Poison types).

Sirfetch’d

There will never be a new type. If they were to change anything i think the best thing would be make ghost types affected normally by bug.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
The Light type as I would design it

For moves--

• Super effective against: Dark (well, duh!), Ghost (most spooks hate bright light). I had thought of adding Bug, but not all Bug-types are dark-dwellers; Ledyba and Butterfree wouldn't mind bright sunny environments.
  • Weak against: Fire (which already glows), Ice (translucent/reflective substance), Steel (reflective substance), Water (transmits light poorly--lasers won't work underwater, for instance)
  • Useless against: Grass (light is good for plants), unless the move has a secondary type that would work.
  • Normal against: Everything else
For species types--

• Resistant to: Fire (a light source itself), Ghost (since light drives them off)
  • Weak against: Dark (well, duh!), Grass (a plant should be able to Mega Drain the heck out of a glowing creature), Water (as above).
A lot of existing attacks could be moved to Light; Flash Cannon, Flash, and Light Screen probably should. As for Light-type Pokémon which wouldn't have that controversial religious overtone, I can imagine a few base designs: fireflies, will-o-the-wisps, B-movie flying saucers are the first three off the top of my head. Even a Spotlight Forme for Rotom might be fun... ;-)

EDITED TO ADD: The move "Sunny Day" sounds as if it would benefit Light-types under this rule; I'd rename the Fire-improving move to "Heat Wave" and consider them variants of the same thing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
The Light type as I would design it

For moves--

• Super effective against: Dark (well, duh!), Ghost (most spooks hate bright light). I had thought of adding Bug, but not all Bug-types are dark-dwellers; Ledyba and Butterfree wouldn't mind bright sunny environments.
  • Weak against: Fire (which already glows), Ice (translucent/reflective substance), Steel (reflective substance), Water (transmits light poorly--lasers won't work underwater, for instance)
  • Useless against: Grass (light is good for plants), unless the move has a secondary type that would work.
  • Normal against: Everything else
For species types--

• Resistant to: Fire (a light source itself), Ghost (since light drives them off)
  • Weak against: Dark (well, duh!), Grass (a plant should be able to Mega Drain the heck out of a glowing creature), Water (as above).
A lot of existing attacks could be moved to Light; Flash Cannon, Flash, and Light Screen probably should. As for Light-type Pokémon which wouldn't have that controversial religious overtone, I can imagine a few base designs: fireflies, will-o-the-wisps, B-movie flying saucers are the first three off the top of my head. Even a Spotlight Forme for Rotom might be fun... ;-)

EDITED TO ADD: The move "Sunny Day" sounds as if it would benefit Light-types under this rule; I'd rename the Fire-improving move to "Heat Wave" and consider them variants of the same thing.

Japanese name for Sunny Day is Clear Skies. As in a sky without clouds to hinder the sun/reduce sunlight. Which makes more sense when you can use healing attacks like Moonlight which is obviously a night related attack. Moonlight during Sunny Day makes no sense for the bonus healing until you hear the original name. Its also why Synthesis gets a healing boost as well as a cloudless day leaves more light for plants to synthesize from.

As for Heat Wave its already an attack, Fire typed at that. Deals damage and adjacent damage in Double/Triple battles. So that wouldn't work to well. You'd prolly have to create a new Light attack or leave Sunny Day as Light and have it boost both Light and Fire seeing as it allows for one turn shots of Sunny Day as well. Still makes a lot of sense with Chlorophyll when you think of it on the same level as Synthesis.

Overall your's is really impressive.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
I didn't know that the Heat Wave or Moonlight moves existed; you learn something new every day! *blush* Your explanation of Sunny Day's original name cleared things up too (no pun intended); if I were designing a fan game with the Light type added, Sunny Day probably should become a dual-type Fire/Light move for simplicity's sake. (I can easily imagine a frustrated player with a Grass type dominating his team: "Do I let my partner use Sunny Day and risk getting hit by a Fire sweeper, or is not boosting his Flash Cannon going to cost me later?")

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
This thread is really old :P Anyway all discussion of new types is basically in X&Y right now, so that's where new discussion on this would go for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back