• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen PGL closure for BW & B2W2

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
After Tuesday, January 14, 2014, the Pokemon Global Link services will be ending for Pokemon BW & Pokemon B2W2 in order to make place for the PGL of Pokemon X & Y which will be launching in october.

Will this change affect you a lot or you won't care at all about this change? Or maybe you're happy of the change?

Post your opinions about this :)

Link to the announcement is here

Years
It's a change that I probably will miss considering I used PGL on occasion just to get all the cool C-Gear skins, but I at least hope they carry the Dream World into X and Y because that is a feature I enjoyed.

Years
I never used the Dream World at all due to my wonky wi-fi connections but can't wait to see what its successor will offer.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
My first reaction: "no, why, I loved the DW, they can't close it". Then I realized I haven't used it in a month or so. And consider I'll have XY at that time, I doubt I'll really miss. I hope the new DW or whatever they decide to do will be nice.

Though like AdrianD said, I'll have to play it more often now to get more DW Pokemon, hehe.

I really hope there will be a way to still get content like the skins and whatnot after it closes, because I'd really like to get other ones.

You won't be able to change your C-Gear and Pokedex skins after it closes, so be careful which ones you chose to use in your game.

Years
My first reaction: "no, why, I loved the DW, they can't close it". Then I realized I haven't used it in a month or so. And consider I'll have XY at that time, I doubt I'll really miss. I hope the new DW or whatever they decide to do will be nice.

The reason they are closing this Dream World is because they are making way for a new generation, so in October they will be closing the site for maintenance so it gets updated for the new Pokemon X & Y games. But at least I'm hoping the new Global Link site for X & Y (I'm hoping it has a feature that's similar to the Dream World) is easier for me to access and can't wait to see what it will offer.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I just find it pretty lame that after January, we won't be able to get Dream World Pokemon anymore. I hope I'll get my 3DS and Pokemon Y by then.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I didn't see any changes posted, just maintenance, so I don't really have an opinion about it because cutting off BW is no suprise. I'm sure PGL will remain mostly the same, including the DW. Hopefully the mini-games are a bit less dull so people won't have to resort to running scripts to play the games for them.

This notice gives people way more than enough time to get everything they want, which is nice.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I've never actually gotten around to using the Dream World so it won't affect me in any way at all. I don't really care but I'm excited to see what they throw at us in X/Y. Plus even if I ever did reach the Dream World, I would of never been able to use it due to wi-fi problems and all that. Overall it hasn't had an impact on me in any shape or form. :p

matsuko

Alliterating Artist
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
i hope they sort of incorperate gen 5 and gen 6 into that... it'd be a shame if they took out dream world. i was already super disappointed that they took out the underground in gen 5...

Years
I can't say as I've even used the Dream World more than a dozen times for White and White 2 combined, but it is a little disappointing to see services being cut off so soon for the 5th gen games after X/Y are out. I know a lot of people still don't have a 3DS and won't for some time, so this is more of a blow to them than to those who were already planning to get X or Y.

Hopefully we can see a lot more out of the Global Link for X/Y than we did in its current state, so that I won't feel so indifferent if it were to suffer the same fate down the line.

droomph

weeb
Years
oh well, I'll get all my berries in time!

…yeah, I used it to get around 140~230 berries for each berry.

It'll even save some time to help get those berries back.

I'm sad that I can't really link up to my BW2 any more, but oh well! Berries are all that matters.

Last edited:

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
I really enjoyed using the DW: growing berries, getting ítems, leveling up my pokemon, exploring the áreas, playing the games and getting females with their hidden abilities. Sometimes I used to redecorate with the furniture and dolls; it's sad that all of that stuff will be lost; that's on the side of bw and b2w2.
On the X/Y side, I'm interested in the new features the new PGL will have.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I don't see why they can't create a whole new PGL for X and Y while leaving Gen. V's intact. I'm not too upset, though. I mostly used it for getting rare Pokés and skins for the C-Gear and Pokédex. But I am curious about how the Gen. 6 PGL will be.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
My initial goal was to get 3 of each Pokemon in the Dream World: 2 males (where possible) with each of the Dream World moves, and 1 female of each, if it had a hidden ability. I came far from that goal, but I am only 6 short of getting 1 of each with a Dream World move, so I'd like to at least complete that.

I can't say I *enjoy* the Dream World anymore... it's more like a mad obsession/addiction at this point...

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
The PGL is closing months after XY is released. I think this is perfectly fine, there's an adequate amount of time for people to wrap things up.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Thought the 6th Gen PGL was going up october 12th along with the game release and the old one was going down October 1st.

Back