• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Anyone else think...?

TheOmegaSquadHD

Leader of The Omega Squad
Years
They overused the same Pokemon in battle too much? I remember just starting and every trainer used Patrat and Lillipup up until around the 2 or 3rd gyms.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I didn't really notice that overly, tbh. Might've been because the only wild Pokemon that could be found early on were in fact, Patrat and Lillipup (and Purrloin). I mean, those around the Dreamyard might've used Munna maybe, iirc, and everywhere else it just... seemed like they only used the Pokemon found nearby. If anything it might be the fault of not really having a diverse range of Pokemon early on, but all games really have that issue.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Requility, you have it. They often catch the same Pokémon nearby. Some Trainers are just hanging out on the Route, but early on, they are also starting to get into training Pokémon as well. Therefore, their Pokémon tend to be from the area; they weren't lucky enough to have a choice of three rare Pokémon of Grass, Fire, and Water.

Cyclone

Years
I felt like I faced a TON of elemental monkeys, those things were everywhere. Whether one person had three of them in a single or triple battle, or three rangers each had one they were just all over the place. Plus, there were a lot of herdiers too in my opinion. And there were a lot of timburrs and roggenrolas and their evolutionary lines, but that was to be expected.

It's not really an issue that plagues my mind when playing, but some more diversity would've been nice.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I didn't really notice this too much tbh, and I don't think I'd have minded too much even if I did notice. Thinking about it, I don't remember it being much different in other games.

Years
I noticed this when I was playing. I mean, the only Pokemon found before the first Gym are Patrat, Lillipup and Purrloin. It's like that the Trainers only use Pokemom caught in the area around them for some reason.

The Timburr and Roggenrola lines also get a special mention for being too commonly used by Trainers (mainly Hikers).

I mean, they really had a lack of diversity compared to previous games.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I think the game needed some Bug Catchers.

At least it wasn't as bad as RSE. I still have nightmares with Poochyenas.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Now that someone brought up elemental monkeys...yes, those got used more than I would have liked. When one of the Battle House battles had all three in a rotation, I nearly cried at the fact that she uses them in her daily battles.

At least it wasn't as bad as RSE. I still have nightmares with Poochyenas.
Team Magma in particular is shown in the anime to have a reliance on Mightyena and Shadow Ball. The game merely matches the anime. When they are up to something, bring something with Mega Drain or such a move to knock them out easily.

Cyclone

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
Am I the only one that got annoyed by Patrat? It seemed like most Team Plasma grunts had Patrat's and Watchog's.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
A lot of the time based by what type of trainer they were I could guess what Pokemon they had, and a lot of the time I was right, which kinda sucked, aka no surprise challenge (maybe) etc. I guess it's kinda given though because there's only 156 opposed to the 300-something that there are total.

Years
the only Pokemon found before the first Gym are Patrat, Lillipup and Purrloin. It's like that the Trainers only use Pokemom caught in the area around them for some reason.

As Hikari10 had said, we can only find them in the first grass (First grass before the road 3).

We are forced to play with them, because it's hard to play only with grass or water pokemon until the road 3.

The Timburr and Roggenrola lines also get a special mention for being too commonly used by Trainers (mainly Hikers).

I mean, they really had a lack of diversity compared to previous games.

Timburr is the easiest fight type to find. (and the first with Sawk & Throh but they're a little harder to find that a Timburr) The other fight types aren't available before a "long time".

In my case, I pick my starter, I catch a Patrat (to help me during the first gym). After that, I put him in the pc.

After that, I stay only with my starter but when I come to Nacrene, I go catch a Sawk, If I dont find him, I take a Throh and if I'm not lucky, I take a Timburr.

If I don't have a water type as starter, I take a Tympole. [I had one in my current game, but I'm sad, because, he can't learn "waterfall" (?? I'm speaking about the hm to climb the waterfall) So, I took a Frillish].

So, When I come on road 4 (before to go in the third gym), I search a Darumaka (to beat Burgh).

If you follow me, at this time, I've

Starter (Grass) + Water + Fight + Fire
or Starter (Water) + Fight + Fire
or Starter (Fire) + Water + Fight

Once I beat burgh I go near the Relic Castle to find a Maractus (Even if I've a Starter Grass, I replace him by Maractus) And once I come to the road 6 I can replace Maractus by Foongus (If I'm not satisfied of Maractus).

Before, Once I came to Icirrus, I caught a Cryogonal. But now (Thanks to Cyclone) I know that we can find Vanillite before.

So, You have as a team

Maractus (Foongus) + Water + Fight + Fire + Ice

But have we really the choice of our pokemons ? Knowing that we are limited to 150 (included their evolutions).

For example, if I look for one water type which can learn Surf, Waterfall and Dive. I am limited to:

Oshawott
Panpour
Basculin
Tirtouga
Frillish
Alomomola

And their evolutions if they have.

So we are limited and people (like me) don't want to have 2 water types in the team.

So, we are forced to choose in these... and we naturally have all the "same" pokemon.

Without forgetting the pokemons which serve only to show "all the power" of the others.

It's the same with all the types. They are only :

6 races of Dragon (evolutions not included BUT the three legendary included).

I don't know exactly where they plan to go with the pokemon black / white. But I hope that it will not be about a stagnant series which we shall incorporate into the other generations but rather of a parallel series which will develops itself with new regions and especially new pokemons.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Let's remember, of those six water types, you can only have three until you pick up Surf and can explore Route 17. Frillish is found there. So is Alomamola. And Basculin is virtually anywhere. Tirtouga, meanwhile, isn't available until you get to Route 4, and get the fossil from Relic Castle; Archen fossil selections don't get it except via trade (like me).

Cyclone

Years
Yes of course, and it's the 'difficulty'. When I looked on a website. I was on chenal 17 to obtain my lovely egg ^_^.

So, I pick up a Frillish (I was in the place). But level 6 and I'm now on victory road. He's level 29. Plus make de egg open >>> Larvesta is 37. So I understand people who play with Darumaka in place of Laversta (He comes late in the game and he needs to be level 59 to evolving in Volcarona).

Many peoples prefer to play with their "first" pokemon. Because it takes a lot of time to level the pokemon from the level 1 until the level being enough for beating the league.

Even with the method of Audino. I often meet the other pokemons in the moving grass (Emolga, Sawk, Throh, Stoutland). Furthermore, it takes for a long time before 2 meetings.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I didn't really notice anything like that, just like Nica. I guess it was the pretty much same case in R/B/Y though were every 2nd person used a Rattata or Geodude. I did notice a bit with the lack of diversity of the Swimmers and other water trainers Pokémon though, but I guess there isn't much to choose from unlike R/B/Y.

KyokuseiXRyusei

DenCabe! :3
Years
I definitely noticed some Pokemon were way overused. Though, what I despised the most was running into the same Pokemon over and over in a large field of tall grass or water even with repel on. Plus, it seemed like every trainer I battled owned a Ducklett. Not very original. :/

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I definitely noticed some Pokemon were way overused. Though, what I despised the most was running into the same Pokemon over and over in a large field of tall grass or water even with repel on. Plus, it seemed like every trainer I battled owned a Ducklett. Not very original. :/

I never really noticed that, if anything I thought people barely used it lmao. I did see a little too much of the monkeys, tho (after early game!) :(

Back