• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Did you ever find a Shiny in GSC?

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
The only shiny pokemon I have ever encountered was in Gold, and it was a Girafarig, and I caught it. Anyone else find any shinies in the first generation to have them? :t203:

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I found my first shiny in my Gold version. :D

I was surfing on the route near Whirlpool islands, and randomly ran into a shiny Tentacool. I didn't really know that it was special, but the way those stars circled around it made me want to catch it.
Later would I find out I found something really rare. >.>

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
I was training outside of Goldenrod City, and, I believe I ran into a Psyduck, and it was shiny.
I caught it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
In the whole time I played G/C I ran into three shiny Pokemon (Gyarados and Ditto didn't count):
- Weepinbell (during training; my first shiny, I was totally shocked xD)
- Spearow (just by accident, I was heading to the Pokemon League)
- Unown

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Aside from the egg at the daycare and the gyarados, the only shiny I've seen was the first wild pokemon I saw in the whole game. You know, that patch of grass to the left of NewBark, before you can possibly even buy pokeballs. That was pretty freakin annoying.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Krabby, Drowzee, and a Nidorina that got away cause I didn't have any Poke Balls :c

kinataki

david tennant so much!
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
im playing pokemon games since red and since i was 6. never encountered any shiny in any-freaking-game. i came here and i read how people caught 4-5 shinies in ONE GAME.

now im just sad ;_;

Years
Once, a Rattata. Wasn't really paying attention until it was too late and it fainted. Never ran into another shiny in any game (aside from events and the ones given to you in game) since then.

Years
Obviously aside from the Red Gyarados, I did find a shiny Teddiursa back on Gold. Unfortunately, all the Pokemon in my party were much too strong, and even my weakest Pokemon ended up one-hit KOing it. I didn't feel too bad at the time, as I figured I'd see one again soon, not realizing how rare they actually were. Even though I kept playing it for the next two years, that was the only shiny I would ever find on Gold.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I honestly don't remember. I play them on emulators but those don't count in my book and I was really young and don't remember seeing one or even catching one. I could of but didn't realize or remember. I'd say it's been 6 years since I played one of those on a gameboy.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Never found one in the 2nd Gen, my first one was in 4th Gen, surprisingly on HG, the remake of Gold.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 28, 2024
Like someone else here, I caught a Shiny Psyduck on Route 35. I was terrified to evolve it because my 6-year-old self reasoned that since it was blue, and Golduck was blue, it wouldn't count as a shiny anymore. Granted, shiny Golduck is blue, though I didn't know it was shiny and only referred to it as "my Blue Psyduck". It was level 100 before my cartridge's battery quit.

I ended up breeding a couple of shiny Psyduck on Black in the last week, just for nostalgia purposes.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I found two. A shiny Graveler in Mt. Silver that exploded on me, and a shiny Spearow that fell from a tree while I was looking for a Heracross, and that I caught.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Never found any in gen II, which is the only gen I haven't found a random shiny actually. I've only gotten one shiny from Crystal's Odd Egg out of the many times I've played it so ehhh. It's an Igglybuff that I named Ruby Mace. I should play Crystal...and see if it still works. lol :( Too scared though.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I found my first shiny in Crystal version. In Ilex Forest, I was randomly headbutting some trees near the entrance. A shiny Weedle appeared! The color was not too different from a regular Weedle, but boy, oh boy, did that shiny animation give me an exhilarating feeling. I caught it and evolved it into a nice Beedrill.

Also, I ran into a shiny Grimer on the bicycling road in Crystal. I attacked it and got it to yellow health on the first turn. It then ran. ._.

/agony

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Back in the day I caught a blue Corsola in Mistys gym. Few years later got a golden Pikachu, but that was in Emerald. Completely useless since I wanted Volt Tackle

Back