• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rumors your friends/others told you.

Emfg

Ohlong
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 8, 2023
You might remember them, or you might not. But I certainly do.

I remember lots of rumors about the pokemon games. Rumors not necessarily about digletts nose being a mouth, or gengar being clefables shadow.

No. I'm talking stupid rumors you thought might happen in your pokemon game if you did a certain thing.

Some of the rumors my friends told me (and other kids) were that if you sat at the left side of the trade machine (this was on the gameboy, pokemon Leaf Green) frequently you would become the pokemon champion, while if you sat on the right side of the trade machine frequently you would become to owner of the museum in Pewter City.

Another one was when my friend told me you would only get a shiny pokemon after you have had played more than 400 hours. Got to about 450 hours of played time on my Leaf Green until I finally figured it out he was lying.

Mind you, these things I believed when I was about 8 years old in like 2005, without knowing of game walkthroughs on the internet, only in magazines I never had.

So, have you ever believed any in-game rumors your friends told you when you were younger? Like the ones I just mentioned? Or were you smart enough not to believe them?

TheAwesomeUserName

Zombie Survivalist Expert
Years
In Emerald, my friend told me that if you caught Rayquaza once in the Sky tower place, and exitted and went back in the Sky tower to the top, there would be a Shiny Rayquaza there. I spent countless hours trying to get to the top. I finally did it, but there was not a Rayquaza there. This was about 5 years ago and I was 9, but I still hate him. He lied to my face!!!

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
In Pokemon Sapphire my friend told me that a Bad Egg hatches into an Deoxys. So I bought an AR trying to get an Bad Egg for Deoxys. After trying to hatch it I realised he lied to me.

But luckly My game was not broken.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
My friends told me that if you hold down A and B, your canhces of catching a Pokemon would be better. I knew it wasn't real but he told me it was 100% legit. I was like, what..?

Years
Despite there being a large group of people who played Pokemon on my street when I was younger, I think the only rumour told was the 'Truck Glitch' which would let you catch Mew on R/B/Y.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The biggest rumor for RSE was probably that Deoxys Space Center thing. If there was a certain number of launches, they would let you go into space to fight Deoxys. The weird thing is, some time last year, someone actually was still attempting that and asked a question about it in the Adv Gen Q&A. Bless their heart.

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2020
The Mew under the truck in RBY and Deoxys on the moon in RSE. I think it was after 99 launches.

Years
This wasn't when I was young it was actually quite recent. One of my friends told me that if you played any pokemon game as a girl your xp went up faster. I never really believed him.

Anszkz.DkLt

The Semi-Newb
Years
A rumor that I believed and followed to the letter was something about the Space Center but that was back when I was 10 and didn't know how to harness the power of the mighty "Internetz"

Years
The two rumors that always stuck out to me were being able to get to space from Mossdeep after 100 successful launches, and the variations of holding down a button to increase the chances of catching a Pokemon. To this day I still press Up+B when a Poke Ball opens, but it's moreso a habit at this point than anything.

The only rumor that someone actually told me recently came from a cousin in my extended family- it was that you could ring the bell at the top of Bell Tower three times, and Rayquaza would appear. I never put any stock into this, since he was adamant that it was done in HG/SS, even though I knew he was confusing this with the Celestial Tower in Unova. Nonetheless, I did try it on my White a few days later, and wasn't shocked when nothing happened.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I believed the button-combo rumor from a tae kwon do mate; I held down the A and B buttons as the ball flew, let go of A as the ball opened, then mashed the D-pad as the ball shook.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
The one that comes to mind for me is the Space Center one where after a certain number of launches, they let you go into space and capture Deoxys. I legitimately believed at 12 years old that's how you were supposed to catch Deoxys and I thought they would take me. :C

Other than that, probably the A+B trick that supposedly made the Pokemon catch faster. I used to smash the A+B buttons everytime I caught a Pokemon. A recent one I heard is that if you say "Gotcha!" into your DS while catching a Pokemon, it increases the chance of capture. I tried it and it didn't work.

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
The two rumors that always stuck out to me were being able to get to space from Mossdeep after 100 successful launches, and the variations of holding down a button to increase the chances of catching a Pokemon. To this day I still press Up+B when a Poke Ball opens, but it's moreso a habit at this point than anything.

The only rumor that someone actually told me recently came from a cousin in my extended family- it was that you could ring the bell at the top of Bell Tower three times, and Rayquaza would appear. I never put any stock into this, since he was adamant that it was done in HG/SS, even though I knew he was confusing this with the Celestial Tower in Unova. Nonetheless, I did try it on my White a few days later, and wasn't shocked when nothing happened.
Apparently there's a video on YouTube that shows you the Celestial Tower. Presumably, it's a ROM hack.
Anyway, I only ever believed the Mossdeep Space Center rumours, back when I was new to the internet and thought everything was legit. Ah, naivety.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I was told back in Year 4 that, should I press the A button five times in quick succession after throwing a Poke Ball, my chances of catching a Pokemon would rise significantly. I believed them until Year 6, where I discovered to my horror that that "trick" was nothing more than a myth; a fraud. I was very unimpressed, as I had gained blisters on my thumbs numerous times from doing this when attempting to catch legendary Pokemon.

Years
I was told that if you press A at exactly the same time that the pokeball shakes when catching pokemon it was impossible for them to escape...

i believed that for like a year then i realised i was duped. but i still do it from habit...

Years
I was once told pressing certain buttons increased the chance of a successful catch, I was so wrong in the end lol.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
In 6th grade, my best friend (though at the time we had just met) told me that if you pressed Down+B right as the Pokeball opened, it would basically work like a Master Ball. It didn't work -.-

Another one was from around 9 years old, when my cousin told me that if you tapped A quickly during the Pokemon attack animation on Pokemon Stadium that it would increase the damage. I still do it out of habit!

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
Years
I'm ashamed to admit this.
When I was 10, I was duped by my sister into believing that if you released your starter, saved and restarted, there would be a shiny Mewtwo in the PC.

Back